Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Pike County)

Default Re: 450 Bushmaster 458 Socom 50 Beowulf

Get hold of Tony at Tromix. He'll walk you through other mfg's problems. Sounds like an extractor. The 458 is a little wonky when it comes to extractors. I have a Radical upper and ended up getting a new extractor from Tony and it runs fine now. If you are looking for anything else big bore, get hold of Zach at Atheris Rifle co. I got his Beowulf upper last year and it works fine (once you run it a bit) and am waiting on his bushmaster upper now. Complete 450 upper cost me less than $400 on sale a couple weeks ago, and I know it will work.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    Get hold of Tony at Tromix. He'll walk you through other mfg's problems. Sounds like an extractor. The 458 is a little wonky when it comes to extractors. I have a Radical upper and ended up getting a new extractor from Tony and it runs fine now. If you are looking for anything else big bore, get hold of Zach at Atheris Rifle co. I got his Beowulf upper last year and it works fine (once you run it a bit) and am waiting on his bushmaster upper now. Complete 450 upper cost me less than $400 on sale a couple weeks ago, and I know it will work.
    I appreciate the tip.

I just can't bring myself to call someone to fix someone else' design. I may end up just buying a barrel from Tromix since it's been a week+ and I can't get anybody from Bear Creek to respond. I know I scraped the bottom of the barrel to get a $50 barrel so I got what I paid for, their Customer Service is on par with the merchandise.

*Today I went ahead and made the gas port just a hair bigger and chamfered the outside as was suggested by someone here. Have to wait until the monsoon stops raining so I can go check the results.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; December 14th, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Gas key seems solid. I've been all over the web searching tips. Made sure there's no O ring in the extractor per Arf.com.

At this point I'm thinking undersized gas port but I'm hesitant to go drilling on the barrel before I decide on whether I want to spend the shipping charges for a $50 barrel to return for warranty.
    I would still recommend completely disassembling the BCG to check that all the ports are open and seals in place. My Bear Creek key was not staked
    and not even screwed on tight. I was lucky enough to find it early and the upper is cycling perfectly now. For that level of lack-of-attention I would
    put my money on leaking gas around the key, the gas rings, or even the bolt installed 180deg out...

(Wyoming County)

Happy to report a little success today.

As I mentioned above- I got the nerve to try and open up the port a bit myself. I stuck a wooden rod down the barrel and using a 3/32 bit, gently drilled the hole. Very little material was removed.

Loaded up 2 rounds and did my test- 1st round went bang, ejected fine & chambered 2nd round. 2nd round went bang and ejected fine, but failed to lock open the bolt.

Ejection is at about 2 o'clock but I'm not sure what that means for this cartridge in 223/556 I think that means under gassed

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    We have all three of these calibers in our MG rental program and the 50 Beowulf is the beast of the group.

458 SOCOM uses a Tromix upper.
    50 Beowulf uses a Alexander Arms upper.
    450 Bushmaster uses a Great Lakes Firearms upper.

Personally, I prefer the 458 SOCOM but 450 Bushmaster has a bigger ammo selection.
    Just a FWIW. Since a 50 cal Beowulf was mentioned, I was at an auction at Alderfer's today where the hammer price was $700. Probably closer to $861 with the 17% auction fee and the 6% sales tax. Here's the listing:

Auction item #3298: Aero Precision Arms/Alexander Arms M4E1 semi-automatic rifle. Cal. 50 Beowulf. 16 1/2" bb. SN M4-0024177. Matte black finish, very good bore, quad rail ventilated handguard, Desert Sand MOE front grip, pistol grip and collapsible butt stock, large bore muzzle break, and 1-10 round magazine. With papers for the Alexander Arms upper. Very good (condition).
    - bamboomaster

(Wyoming County)

The Mrs. got me new reloading dies (of the .458 kind) for Christmas.

Now I can piss around trying to get this damn gun working. Latest update: It's cycling better but didn't have LRHO.

Here's the new children next to a .308Win

(Chester County)

Here's the new children next to a .308Win

The "kids" look so well-behaved!
    - bamboomaster

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    The "kids" look so well-behaved!
    Looks can be *so* deceiving...

(Wyoming County)

*UPDATE:

Finally think I have it running correctly. I've opened the gas port up to 1/8 drill bit. & now getting consistent cycling and LRHO.

It really is a "Thumper"

Bear Creek Arsenal sucks ass. Horrible Customer Service. They sent a 1/2" diameter crush washer with the flash suppressor which goes on a 5/8 threaded barrel. Took me 3 weeks to get a email response from them and then the dumb asses sent me another 1/2 inch washer.

Ended up buying some off Amazon because I got tired of dicking around with them

(Pike County)

*UPDATE:

Finally think I have it running correctly. I've opened the gas port up to 1/8 drill bit. & now getting consistent cycling and LRHO.

It really is a "Thumper"

Bear Creek Arsenal sucks ass. Horrible Customer Service. They sent a 1/2" diameter crush washer with the flash suppressor which goes on a 5/8 threaded barrel. Took me 3 weeks to get a email response from them and then the dumb asses sent me another 1/2 inch washer.

Ended up buying some off Amazon because I got tired of dicking around with them
    Glad you got it running. I've heard nothing but horror stories recently about BCA in the big bore forums on FB.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234