Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default The lesson for today:

I hate H110! I set out to load a 100 .357 Magnum cartridges with the last 1/3rd of a pound of H110. It turned out to be an afternoon long chore! The biggest problem was the Dillon powder measure would not stabilize on a setting! I want 18.8 grs. for my charge, a load that tested very well last year in both my revolver and carbine. But Damn! The powder measure would not throw hte same weight charge twice in a row! So I had to weigh each charge and trickle in until I had the right weight! Damn what a slow process. On top of that when I finally finished there was enough powder scattered around my reloading station to start a bonfire! I have a half pound of W296 remaining also I imagine that'll be the same issue. I'm so peeved I'm thinking of just tossing it in the fire barrel and to hell with it!

I also have some Blue Dot left over from my testing last year. Nice and bulky, setting charge weights was OK as I recall. BUT the damn stuff is temperamental with charge weights! Using Sierra's load data I ended up with a serious overcharge in both revolver and rifle loads so I have to limit it to the maximum load for rifle of 11.4 grs. though I successfully tested 11.8 grs. in my revolver. as it happens I was was getting 1355 fps out of an 11.1 gr charge from a 4" barreled S&W Model 627.

So let me end this complaint with some questions. 1. Can anyone suggest a good bulky powder for .357 reloading? 2. Why such a large variation in charge weights between handgun and rifle loads? Blue Dot max for the bullet I'm using is 13.6 grs for handgun but 11.4 grs. for rifle. Possibly because the rifle sustains the pressure longer?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: The lesson for today:

Blue Dot has been my #1 powder for all magnum revolver loads for many years. It bulks up nicely , but does not like to be compressed much. You have to pay close attention to how much bullet 'shank' is in the case. Especially when using cast bullets. Never use the charges for short-shank Lyman/Ideal "Keith-style'' bullets with data for more conventional SWC's with a longer shank.

bullet shank.jpg

The second from the left is a 'Keith' style and the third is a more common SWC. They both weigh the same , but the max charge for #2 is a few grains higher than #3 because of #2 compressing the charge less. Take it from me , if you use a max charge intended for #2 with bullet #3 , you will be in the danger zone and have signs of VERY HIGH pressure!

OTOH , H110/W296 likes a bit of compression and does not do well with less than near max loads.

And yes , H110 is the same thing as W296 , just with a different label.
    Last edited by abner13; November 17th, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Clarion County)

Kinda old school here but am partial to 2400. Throwing a 162 gr home cast averaging 1162 fps. with 14.0 grs. and a standard primer.
    From Alliants online site:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 6.28.27 PM.jpg
    Last edited by cephas; November 18th, 2019 at 09:59 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lancaster County)

This is what you seek, a bit pricey but ends all powder dispensing and weight woes forever when not using a progressive, and a positive with the charge counter....50 rounds in the tray, 50 on the counter, no chance of an accidental squib non charge or double charge

I use H110 for the .41 Magnum, this dispenses it dead on every time, I use another smaller digital to double check powder drops

7750550_gen6_1.jpg

https://www.lymanproducts.com/gen6-c...-powder-system

(Bucks County)

Dillon will send you a new powder bar or even a new powder measure with tighter tolerances if you call them. I got the replacement powder bar and it alleviated the problems with h110. But it still leaks since it is an extremely fine powder.

So, I use 2400 or aa9 for any volume of reloading .357. And I measure h110 by hand for low volume of high end loads.

In most magnum rounds and bullet weights , you can achieve higher velocity with Blue Dot , while using a lower weight charge (more rounds per pound). BD also works well with less than max loads and in shorter barrels.

H110/W296 works best when slightly compressed (max loads) and does not do well with reduced charges. It also works best with longer barrels. Yeah , it's impressive with the big fireball and lots of concussion , but that comes from the powder burning outside the barrel , past the muzzle , but that equals velocity loss.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Washington County)

Sounds like your powder thrower is a little worn and a call to Dillon is in order.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    In most magnum rounds and bullet weights , you can achieve higher velocity with Blue Dot , while using a lower weight charge (more rounds per pound). BD also works well with less than max loads and in shorter barrels.

H110/W296 works best when slightly compressed (max loads) and does not do well with reduced charges. It also works best with longer barrels. Yeah , it's impressive with the big fireball and lots of concussion , but that comes from the powder burning outside the barrel , past the muzzle , but that equals velocity loss.
    Say whaaaaatttt????? I'm comparing Blue Dot with Sport Pistol and it looks like the BD uses a hell of a lot more power than the Sport Pistol. Am I seeing things wrong?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Beaver County)

2400 for 357 mag for long barrels. Titegroup or Sport Pistol for max velocity in shorter barrels or lighter projectile weight.

I get just over 1400 FPS with 7 grain of Titegroup under my 125 cast bullet in my Dan Wesson 357 with a 6" barrel.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.