Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Winchester's New 350 Legend

Has anyone had the opportunity to shoot or hunt with Winchester's new 350 Legend cartridge? Was wondering what people are saying about this round as I am very intrigued by the ballistics. I know there is a lot of hype when new rounds are introduced, however this seems like a fantastic round if you hunt in states that only allow the use of straight-wall cartridges for rifle, such as Ohio!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Winchester's New 350 Legend

I keep seeing ads for it. Something else I noticed, at least in the print ads, is mention of ‘perfect for hunters in straight-wall ammo states.” That’s another first for me. What the hell is a ‘straight wall ammo’? I understand the geometry of the cartridge has no neck, but it insinuates there are states where you cannot use necked cartridges. Why?

(Allegheny County)

Some states were shotgun only. Then they began allowing handgun ammo in rifles. then it became straightwalled only. OP mentions Ohio.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I keep seeing ads for it. Something else I noticed, at least in the print ads, is mention of ‘perfect for hunters in straight-wall ammo states.” That’s another first for me. What the hell is a ‘straight wall ammo’? I understand the geometry of the cartridge has no neck, but it insinuates there are states where you cannot use necked cartridges. Why?
    From what I understand the reasoning for straight walled only is due to the distance a stray shot will travel. From the little research I’ve done the 350 begins to lose velocity very quickly once it reaches the 200 YD mark. Very impressed however by the penetration and velocity inside of 200 YD’s. Hoping someone on here has experience shooting this cartridge.

(Bucks County)

If you reload, you'll be limited to Winchester's proprietary bullets. Good history and examination of the round:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wh...th-350-legend/
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    If you reload, you'll be limited to Winchester's proprietary bullets. Good history and examination of the round:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wh...th-350-legend/
    ...for now.

Bullet manufacturers will catch up, so will bullet mold manufacturers.

A person could also swage down a .357"-.358" bullet to .355".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

The round is not as new as you think. It is been wildcatted for awhile as the 357 Max Rimless. Straightwall 223 case necked down to 357 diameter.

It is also for the most part loaded to 357 Maximum reloading specs.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    The round is not as new as you think. It is been wildcatted for awhile as the 357 Max Rimless. Straightwall 223 case necked down to 357 diameter.

It is also for the most part loaded to 357 Maximum reloading specs.
    A lot of people don't realize that most "new" cartridges after the 1970's, if not even a couple decades before that, are just gimmicks to sell new guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A lot of people don't realize that most "new" cartridges after the 1970's, if not even a couple decades before that, are just gimmicks to sell new guns.
    You say that like its a bad thing. I love me some gimmicks. Zombies the 50s, the 460s, copper reducing powders, quad rails, rapid fire gizmos, hydro dipped whatevers, mares leg anythings, foldy guns, survival guns, laser engraved guns, overmolded undersized laser equipt composite polymer goodness.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You say that like its a bad thing. I love me some gimmicks. Zombies the 50s, the 460s, copper reducing powders, quad rails, rapid fire gizmos, hydro dipped whatevers, mares leg anythings, foldy guns, survival guns, laser engraved guns, overmolded undersized laser equipt composite polymer goodness.
    Some gimmicks are cool. But when it comes to cartridges, it is basically someone reinventing the wheel with another round wheel with a different name.

The Winchester Short Mags are a prime example. Each and everyone one of them had a similarly powerful cartridge that preexisted them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast