Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: This has got to be bull ****

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    What are the terms of your buddy’s probation? The court can set any restrictions on your buddy they want. I had someone that wanted to live with me and the terms were crazy, no guns, no bows, no reloading equipment, etc, etc. That person does not live with me, found a wonderful place in Syracuse NY.

Your not being punished, your buddy is. You had no problem until your buddy moved in.
    Think he moved in to the probation persons home.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    YOU are not on probation. He has no control over YOU. But he does have authority over your roommate. Because you live in the same location, the PO can enter and search without a warrant for any or no reason. You buddy cannot have, or have access to, weapons.

So, I see no reason why YOU cant have whatever you want, locked in a box/container, under your bed or in your closet, or behind a locked bedroom door, that only YOU have access too. The PO has no right or authority to search area where the supervised person has no access.

YOU can have a gun and chose to leave it lying on the kitchen counter. But if the PO comes in, your buddy gets taken away.
    This right here is an excellent post.

Get a locked box in your room and keep whatever you desire inside it. It is neither the p.o. nor your buddy's business what is inside.

The PO could not insist that nobody in an apartment building have weapons, if a parolee lives in a unit. Similarly, as long as you keep the weapons out of the common areas, and keep any weapons locked in a separate you-only bedroom, you've complied with the intent of the conditions of parole.

Now, if the parole officer demanded that you sign a statement saying that you have no weapons anywhere in the building, I wouldn't do that, because it's a crime to make unsworn written false statements to a state agent.

Safest plan would be to move all the naughty bits to a storage locker or mom's house until he's off probation.

Second safest is to have a deadbolt on a solid bedroom door that has your name on a brass plaque, and lock any weapons in a safe in the closet in that locked room.

Most dangerous would be to keep weapons everywhere and lie to the PO in writing, while posting your intentions on the Web.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

A knife as mentioned is not covered by the 2A. So I guess you have some guns as well. If you like your roomie and want him to stay, then you should abide by the rules requested. However If your roomie becomes a dick head, then don't and he will go away in cuffs. Remember its not you who will be going to jail, IF YOU FAIL too abide by the rules, it will be HIM!. So how much do you like this guy?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

my first question would be, did you know your buddy was on probation when you signed on to the co-habitation?
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    my first question would be, did you know your buddy was on probation when you signed on to the co-habitation?
    Sort of,but it was way too late to change plans, and this deal keeps getting worse and worse

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Think he moved in to the probation persons home.
    Technically he lives with me and my wife. Although we took over a apartment lease from his mom. ( it was mutually beneficial) so he never moved but we are primary on the lease.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The PO could not insist that nobody in an apartment building have weapons, if a parolee lives in a unit. Similarly, as long as you keep the weapons out of the common areas, and keep any weapons locked in a separate you-only bedroom, you've complied with the intent of the conditions of parole.

Now, if the parole officer demanded that you sign a statement saying that you have no weapons anywhere in the building, I wouldn't do that, because it's a crime to make unsworn written false statements to a state agent.

Safest plan would be to move all the naughty bits to a storage locker or mom's house until he's off probation.

Second safest is to have a deadbolt on a solid bedroom door that has your name on a brass plaque, and lock any weapons in a safe in the closet in that locked room.

Most dangerous would be to keep weapons everywhere and lie to the PO in writing, while posting your intentions on the Web.
    My mom would cut my gun if I left it there. Same for any edc stuff, she will be voting for Brady if you catch my drift.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like a mess.

Put a solid bedroom door on if you need too, with a dead bolt that only you and wife have keys too.

Follow gunlawyers advice above, he is Attorney Phil Kline, and thats gunna be as close as you get with solid advice without paying for it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    I recently moved in with some one on probation, talked with there PO and he told me a. I'm not allowed to have even my edc knife in the house at all regardless of lock or other measures, and told me I had to keep it in my car.

now he says I can not even have it in my car, so I will now need off sight storage. this HAS to be an over reach my my second amendment rights. I would move but i just signed a 14 month lease.

this has to be his PO overstepping his boundries.

any one have advise?

thanks 7th moose
    Ok, what the heck is your friend on probation for? If he won't tell you (or you think he isn't telling the truth) you can check here: https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx
    Usually, they only impose weapons-related conditions if your crime involved the use of a weapon. Or, if you were convicted of an offense that results in the FEDERAL firearm ban, you will probably have a "no firearms" condition.

Also, it's usually not a good idea to be around troublemakers. If you lie down with dogs, you get fleas. Many people in my town were told by their parents not to hang out with me after I got in trouble. It took years to convince them I'd changed. I changed schools (Public-Private) and started hanging around with much more decent people.

If your friend does drugs be real careful. If he puts them in an area of the house accessible to you, you may be at risk. People have been convicted of drug possession even though they didn't "own" the drugs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast