Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Hey Scruff!..Wilkinsburg Police To Host Gun Buy Back Event

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if some old lady walked in with a hand grenade from WWII in her purse. Imagine what would happen when she plunks that down on the desk. They would have to evacuate and shut down the entire area.
    Don't laugh! But I know of a solid waste transfer station that used to have a man in WW I uniform asking people (individual customers, not regular garbage trucks) disposing of stuff if they had any munitions in their load. Grenades were common. I also know of cases where my Dept. was called to help dispose of old dynamite found in the back of an old barn and some stuff called picric acid, in that case the widow's hubby was a chemist.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If they publish it as a "Voluntary" turn in with gift cards being given to the "concerned" citizens, and no mention of "buying" (police purchasing the firearms) then I believe they can do it without an FFL. As far as I know, anyone can take a firearm to a PD and turn it in and walk away, no questions asked. If it is actually listed as a "Buy Back", meaning the PD is actually purchasing the the firearm, then again as far as I know they would have to have a FFL unless they receive some type of a waiver from the BATFE.

Since a FFL can buy a firearm from anyone at any time anywhere, a FFL could legally stand on the sidewalk in front of the place and when they see someone ask them what they are turning in and then offer them money for it (if it is worth it). Unless the PD somehow made it illegal to stand on the sidewalk, the FFL could legally, by federal law, buy the guns. That doesn't mean the police wouldn't try to do something stupid and get their asses taken to court, but like a lot of things dealing with firearms the person who got arrested would have to spend their own money to prove their innocence.
    No mention of buying? Did you notice the title of this thread?? :-)

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    No mention of buying? Did you notice the title of this thread?? :-)
    Yes I did read the title of the thread, and that is all it is - A TITLE OF A THREAD ON A FORUM. Tell me EXACTLY how the "Buy Back" was published/advertised and then I'll make changes (if necessary) to my statement.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Yes I did read the title of the thread, and that is all it is - A TITLE OF A THREAD ON A FORUM. Tell me EXACTLY how the "Buy Back" was published/advertised and then I'll make changes (if necessary) to my statement.
    Thats how it was posted in the news from wtae see link first post

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Aw shucks, I missed it. Last year's was so much fun.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Thats how it was posted in the news from wtae see link first post
    Again, that was a second party posting. How EXACTLY did the PD advertise/publish it? Did they maybe advertise it as a "Turn in any unwanted guns and we'll give you a gift card." or did they actually say "Bring you unwanted guns to this location xxxx, and we will buy them from you." Wording can make a big legal difference. If you notice in the posting in first link, in the body it said"... authorities will be collecting items to promote “safer holidays.” " Nothing saying "Buy Back" other than in the title of the news article.

That said, if the PD is big enough and they have their own in house armorers then they would probably have a FFL in the PD's name. If that is the case, then they could "Buy" the firearms.

Since it was yesterday, I'd like to hear how many and what type "guns" were turned in to make the holidays safer.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; November 17th, 2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123