Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: SMALL Weapon Lights for AR15 Pistols / SBRs

Ever thought about mounting it on the top pic rail right behind the front sight? It's not as uncommon as you think and it has its advantages.

Something like the PL Valkyrie II or the Inforce would mount easily and have the smallest footprint assuming you have some spare real estate on top.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 18th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Ever thought about mounting it on the top pic rail right behind the front sight? It's not as uncommon as you think and it has its advantages.

Something like the PL Valkyrie II or the Inforce would mount easily and have the smallest footprint assuming you have some spare real estate on top.
    LOL, look at the photo in the OP.

I've actually considered ditching the BUIS in favor of a light mounted there.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LOL, look at the photo in the OP.

I've actually considered ditching the BUIS in favor of a light mounted there.
    Just went and looked again and see. If your seriously considering this for HD then I would opt for the light in place of the BUIS and use a red dot with a high battery life or one that has a proven auto on feature but that's me. I would also highly recommend keeping a set of ear pro next to this blaster, I would bet my bank account if you fired this in a smaller space like a hall way or small room you are going to blow your ear drums and end up with permanent if not complete hearing loss.

(Delaware County)

(Delaware County)

I'm not finding any good lights that are SMALL.

I would have thought that with the boom in popularity of pistols/SBRs, that someone would have developed a light more suitable to short handguards.
    Maybe it's because most "serious" SBR people use 10.5" which is better able to accommodate lights built for carbines?

With the 7" ATLAS handguard, I'm limited by the length as well as the overall shape/lack of top rail, and MLOK positions.

If I put a larger light on the right, I think I'll be forced to use a pressure switch on the left to activate with my thumb. I don't really WANT a pressure switch due to limited mounting spots (one) and because I don't like "extra crap" when not needed.

A tail cap switch WILL work on the left - activated by thumb - and won't be in the way - IF IT IS SHORT - like 3.5"-4" max.

All the short ones I find are not "weapon lights", so I dunno if they could withstand the recoil.

I'm at the point of accepting that I'll have to pay for what I want - I just can't find what I need.
    Check out Streamlight's catalog. Many of their weapon mounts are also hand-helds, and have been put thru on-the-gun live-fire testing.

Full disclosure - I used to work for them.

(Allegheny County)

That little CT light package ended up being exactly what I was looking for. Both the tailcap and the pressure switch have momentary and constant functions. Its plenty bright without being obnoxious. Although its not a huge deal, I might get a different mount to bring the light up and closer to the handguard, but that's just me being nebby. I can live with the included mount. This thing seems like a great bang for your buck package.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Check out Streamlight's catalog. Many of their weapon mounts are also hand-helds, and have been put thru on-the-gun live-fire testing.

Full disclosure - I used to work for them.
    Hahahaha! He said "$treamlight"... Hahahaha!

I said I was willing to spend a LITTLE more for a good light.

I'll look when I get home, but so far, Streamlights that I've seen have been priced WAY over my budget.

(Allegheny County)

I wanted to like that Crimson Trace in the worst way due to it's size and included mounts, but I can't get past the fact that you have to click through 3 modes to be where you want to be.

If it were JUST high/low, I'd accept it, but throwing "strobe" into the mix killed it for me.

I have one of those $5 "tac lights" from Ollies for taking the dogs out. Plenty bright, but it has the same 3 modes, and I hate having to click through 2 modes to get to the one I want.

(Allegheny County)

I wanted to like that Crimson Trace in the worst way due to it's size and included mounts, but I can't get past the fact that you have to click through 3 modes to be where you want to be.

If it were JUST high/low, I'd accept it, but throwing "strobe" into the mix killed it for me.

I have one of those $5 "tac lights" from Ollies for taking the dogs out. Plenty bright, but it has the same 3 modes, and I hate having to click through 2 modes to get to the one I want.
    Not sure where you read that, but it is just off/on. No strobe, no output settings. Its very basic, which is what I was also looking for.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    Not sure where you read that, but it is just off/on. No strobe, no output settings. Its very basic, which is what I was also looking for.
    Well, that changes things.
    I swear I watched video reviews that showed 3 modes as I described.

If it's truly on/off with momentary, that's all I really wanted.
    Although low/high is good too if the high is wickedly bright - sometimes bright can be too bright.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast