Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default N.J. seized this man’s gun because he glorified violence against Jews, cops say

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/11/nj-m...d-his-gun.html

N.J. seized this man’s gun because he glorified violence against Jews, cops say

By Joe Atmonavage | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Police had been watching David Greco for months, carefully monitoring his online activity.

They noted that he often “threatened, advocated and celebrated the killing of Jewish people."

He also was in communication with the man accused of walking into a Pittsburgh synagogue last year and killing 11 people, they alleged. (Greco has denied this.)

On Aug. 5, after months of observation, law enforcement officers paid a visit to Greco’s Camden County home.

At first, Greco, 51, refused to answer the door. He only spoke with officers after his parents came home and allowed them in the modest home.

As police questioned him about comments he made on a far-right social media platform, Greco was “extremely agitated and angry,” authorities said, but he did not talk about acting out on his disdain for Jewish people. However, they also noted that he said he “believes that Jews are raping our woman and children” and that “force or violence is necessary to realign society.

On Sept. 6, police once again visited Greco’s home, descending without warning, to seize his gun and ammunition.

Unknown to Greco, a Camden County Superior Court Judge Edward McBride had issued a temporary extreme risk protection order earlier that day based on an affidavit regarding Greco’s behavior. The order allowed police to execute a no-knock search warrant of his home and seize one semi-automatic rifle, ammunition and his firearms purchaser ID card.

Under a law that went into effect Sept.1, called the Extreme Risk Protection Order Act, a law enforcement officer, family or household member can now petition a state Superior Court judge to take away the guns of a person who they believe “poses an immediate and present danger” to themselves or others. Even if they have not committed a crime.

Two months after going into effect, the constitutionality of the law is being challenged in a proposed class action lawsuit that was filed in New Jersey federal court last month. Greco’s case is at the forefront of the suit. It is the latest lawsuit challenging strict gun control measures Gov. Phil Murphy has signed into law over the last year.

The lawsuit challenges whether there is legal authority to execute a search warrant after a temporary extreme risk protection order is issued.

The law deprives Greco, and other gun owners in New Jersey, of their due process rights, as they are not given a chance to be heard in court before a temporary order is issued and police take firearms, says Albert J. Rescinio, Greco’s attorney. And can a gun owner have their “constitutional rights abrogated” for things said “that the government or anyone else might not like?” the attorney asked.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: N.J. seized this man’s gun because he glorified violence against Jews, cops say

Thought police.

I believe Tom Cruise starred in the movie
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Default Re: N.J. seized this man’s gun because he glorified violence against Jews, cops say

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Thought police.

I believe Tom Cruise starred in the movie
    Even though this guy "could be scum", this is very dangerous territory to enter. It could be a fake account setting him up, it could be sarcasm or it can be flat out bigotry. Whatever the case this "for your safety BS" is scary as hell.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    "for your safety BS" is scary as hell.
    Sure the hell is.

The guy might be a loose cannon, however it would appear that his freedom of speech is in question. NJ is not particularly known for caring about ones rights, so the JBT's don't give a shit. He should have a nice civil rights lawsuit. That is if he can find a good lawyer This is a very slippery slope, no pun intended!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

I believe a lot of progressive agitators talk the same way. Why aren't they being treated the same way? Its hard to defend the indefensible but free speech in the 1st amendment isn't needed for speech we agree with. Its the acting on these hideous ideas that requires swift and immediate punishment.

Now today the way the entrusted have been shown to not be trustworthy everything we are told about someone needs to be questioned. That gentleman is the great victim of our age. Our belief in our own abilities to govern ourselves. The very foundation of our liberty.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Studies of mass killings often if not always indicate the shooter had exhibited behaviors or beliefs that were warning signs, perceived in hindsight as forecasts of the incidents they perpetrated. These observations have magnified the question how to focus on prevention. From what I see of this accounting, Greco is one of those cases that, had he done or made overt attempts at what he espoused, we would be having a different discussion... more like why were the warning signs ignored.

We have to make up our minds. Do we want prevention or do we want freedom. When we discuss influx by those of a religion that instructs that we non-believers be killed, it is often said that the constitution is not a suicide pact. If that is true, then it is true with regard to all of its component bill of rights.

Patting down profiled persons for guns was stopped in the name of constitutional freedom. What was once effective for getting guns off the street and out of the hands of gang-bangers has been stopped, with the obvious and predictable result. If you believe this is how it should be, and become a victim as a result, you have consented to the constitutional right to be a victim in the name of freedom...which upon reflection might be comparable to a form of suicide.

In the addressing of a problem, in this case prevention of shootings, there can only be the pro-active (such as the Greco case), or reactive during and after-the-fact responses to the scenes, including useless more-of-same "new" gun laws.

If the red flag laws as currently written are refined by legal contests over time, the suspect's rights will be better addressed. But, meanwhile, to treat a potential mass killer as though s/he has merely violated community standards by letting their grass get too high is not going to do it.

Assuming the treatment of Greco could/should have been different, what would that be, and what would the probable and possible results be?
    Last edited by Bang; November 12th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

Let me ask this.....If this was a Muslim saying that he wanted to, or spoke of the extermination of Christians, would you then be ok with what NJ did ???? This is just a question.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Let me ask this.....If this was a Muslim saying that he wanted to, or spoke of the extermination of Christians, would you then be ok with what NJ did ???? This is just a question.
    I wonder how much spying is going on in mosques in NJ. I know there’s hate for us non believers and they want us dead. Can ya hear the crickets Coach?

(Bucks County)

he should get OJ's lawyer and list everyone that ever came near this a defendant, from the whistle blower to the cops, their chief and supervisor right up to the judge that signed the thug order, see what sticks (it works for the libbies), sue for everyones termination to make an example and make the damage amount so high everyone thinks twice before ever trying it again

the best thing that could happen for this country is that douchebagafornia, new jersey and new york break off and fall into the ocean
    bailout the working class not the freeloading class

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast