Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Getting back into reloading - what to get?

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I'm slightly leaning to the LNL at this point. I like the die locking/quick change bushings for keeping dies ready to use and pre-set. I would also likely get the basic and then add on the accessories over time until I'm up to equivalent of the AP. But I'm still going through Dillon and Hornady videos to see different people's experiences with the various models.

Thanks again everybody!
    I went through that process as well for a while and I found every press has it's positives and it's foibles. You probably will not go wrong in the end. I know one thing for me why I did not go the Dillon route was the 550 doesnt auto index and it only has 4 stations while the 650 is more complicated and pricey. In the end the Hornady LNL was more the middle ground there. I might consider a case feeder at some point but the bullet feeder is probably overkill.

If you go with the hornady here's two small things that will save you some trouble.

Buy a lock washer fro the bolt that holds the shell plate. It always loosens up and it helps.

With 9mm I had an issue with the cases tipping and getting stuck going into the resizing die. I fixed this by adding a shim and switching to a Dillon resizing die. If any of you have this problem I can post more details later.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Washington County)

Don’t be afraid of the additional moving parts of the 650. All those added moving parts make life good. The step by step manual provided with the press is broken down well and I keep it handy for referencing regularly.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Nearly 30 years ago, I had an RCBS progressive press. I was pretty happy with it, but I got it mainly because my local gun store let me get it on lay-way. I'm now starting over from scratch. And since I'm going to be asking for parts of a setup for Christmas, I want to make sure to get a good setup.

I plan on shooting about 5K 9mm, and maybe 1K or more 5.56 NATO per year. I want to set up a progressive press for at least these two sizes, though I'll possibly expand to several others, mainly pistol rounds (.40 S&W, .357 SIG, .45 ACP, and .45 LC most likely).

I remember Dillon advertising heavily as being the best system, but I'm not sure if that was actually the case. I didn't know anybody that was upset with their Dillon system, but there wasn't that much in the way of forums back when I was paying attention, so I didn't have that many people I could ask, other than gun shop people.

So...RCBS, Dillon, Lyman, ... ? And which model.

Also, any good choices for vibratory case cleaners? I never had any experience with them.
    I have an old Dillon. I don't use it. I've had modest problems with the primer feeder. On rare occasions I've had the bar on the powder measure stick.

I have not used it in decades. Maybe the new ones are better?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I went through that process as well for a while and I found every press has it's positives and it's foibles. You probably will not go wrong in the end. I know one thing for me why I did not go the Dillon route was the 550 doesnt auto index and it only has 4 stations while the 650 is more complicated and pricey. In the end the Hornady LNL was more the middle ground there. I might consider a case feeder at some point but the bullet feeder is probably overkill.
    I agree. People get married to a brand.

Most of the variation comes from the person, not the equipment.

(Lehigh County)

Another endorsement for the Dillon 550 series. I use it for 9/40/45/38/357 handgun and 223/5.56 rifle loads. It has an excellent powder system that has never failed to dispense within +/- .1 grains when set using fine grain handgun powders. I have the carbide die set for the 223/5.56. It's more expensive but worth it to me. I deprime brass with a cheap Lee press prior to cleaning to keep the resizing die clean. I can do 100 rounds/hr on average for handgun loads and 30 or so for .223 because I measure and trickle rounds to get an exact charge. I use Varget and its pill shape doesn't always get +/- .1 gr accuracy. The .223 die set does a great job seating and crimping.
    NRA Life Member

(Beaver County)

I kind of went backwards a bit! My first press was a Dillon 550B. Love it. I added a case feeder 4 years ago! I only load 40 S&W, and 45 ACP, until recently I added 9MM! I also started hand priming everything! Go figure! I don't know, I like hand priming. As for rifle, I only load for my 5.56 AR. For that I bought a Lee 4 hole turret, but I don't use the index. I manually index! I know, you all say what's with this guy! I don't shoot near as much anymore and I don't need to crank out the rounds. It's a much slower pace. I pay more attention to detail now, and that's just fine for me.

To the OP, I throw my .02 in and recommend the 550 also!

(Lehigh County)

Another thought about Dillon and RCBS. When I bought my 550B I got a 9mm RCBS die set because they were a few bucks cheaper than Dillon's. Turned out to be a mistake for me because the RCBS set uses a single seat-crimp die which I had a hard time setting up. I bit the bullet and got the Dillon set and have subsequently stuck with their stuff. My reloading friends who use RCBS aren't bothered by that but IMO the Dillon set is easier to setup and adjust.
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123