Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default ? about checking your firearm at the courthouse

Ok, is there ANY circumstance when they do NOT have to issue a receipt?

I went in this morning to get the paperwork to request a copy of the transcripts from my hearing. (more on that in another post) Well, I was given the key to the locker, placed my firearm in it, signed the book and off the lady sent me. When I returned, I retrieved my firearm and mags, (yep, she made me check those too), signed for them in the same book (she never looked at anything in the book BTW to verify anything but don't know if any of that matters) <---in said book you print your first name, your address and then when you come back you add your signature to verify that you're picking up your firearm. Anyway, on my way out I asked her "do you not ever give receipts when people check their firearms?" she said "no, not unless you're checking some other weapon" and she pulled open a drawer and pointed to some little red strips of paper (ROFL) and said "then we give you one of these and keep it in here" (guess this is the desk drawer someone was talking about for knives). I told her the last time I was in I got a receipt and she said "well that was a special circumstance." Think she recognized me?

(Butler County)

Default Re: ? about checking your firearm at the courthouse

By law, no there is not circumstance of which you dont have to be issued a receipt, however we all know that its a common practice of several departments not to.

(Lebanon County)

She told me that they didn't give them since they let me keep the key while I was attending my business in the building.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    She told me that they didn't give them since they let me keep the key while I was attending my business in the building.
    The problem with that is that someone else has another key, or a master key.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

Well to me it looks like they only have to follow the law on "special circumstances" like when the press is watching. Wonder where she got that idea from.

DC

(Lebanon County)

Master key, another key....what I thought was disturbing is that the "lockers" consist of a box with seperate compartments that sits right on a table out in the open. It doesn't appear to be mounted on the table (just looks like some kind of folding table) or anything. Maybe it's hooked to a cable of sorts so someone would have to cut it to remove it. Hell, I could have had some bolt cutters or another gun in my baby stroller though. She SPECIFICALLY told me NOT to take the stroller through the metal detector and did NOT take the wand over it. Now I am a law abiding citizen so I did NOT take anything in there that did not belong in there nor did I hide anything in the stroller but I found this to be an odd practice.

(Luzerne County)

Master key, another key....what I thought was disturbing is that the "lockers" consist of a box with seperate compartments that sits right on a table out in the open. It doesn't appear to be mounted on the table (just looks like some kind of folding table) or anything. Maybe it's hooked to a cable of sorts so someone would have to cut it to remove it. Hell, I could have had some bolt cutters or another gun in my baby stroller though. She SPECIFICALLY told me NOT to take the stroller through the metal detector and did NOT take the wand over it. Now I am a law abiding citizen so I did NOT take anything in there that did not belong in there nor did I hide anything in the stroller but I found this to be an odd practice.

I wonder what would have happened if they later found something in the stroller. Would you be charged? Or would it oops we forgot.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Have you noticed...Are these same lockers that LEOs use to secure their sidearms, or do they have a "special" set of lockers?

(Jefferson County)

I've never received a receipt in all the times I've been to a handful of court houses. The one one time I did ask for one the deputy said the key serves the same purpose, that if I lose it that I wont be getting my gun. ...haven't lost a key, nor have any of my guns disappeared from the boxes.

(Lebanon County)

HiredGoon I have never had to check mine (don't frequent the place except here of late) before today (except last Tuesday) so I don't know if that is where LEOs keep them. I would assume that it is but I could be wrong. They must have others though. Not even the deputies walk around with them...well not in the courtrooms I noticed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast