Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Advice on an EDC .44 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    You guys with your 9s and 357s, for shame.
    What he really needs is a .454 Casull for edc. I'd suggest the Ruger Super Redhawk with the 9.5" bbl. for that 50 yd shot.
    .500 s&w…

go big or go home....or, to the chiropractor to get your self realigned after carrying that howitzer for any extended period of time.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

I think I've written about this experience with a .44mag before. Friend and I were out shooting. He had a .44 mag with a wooden grip he had made. Offered that I try it and I said sure! He secondarily mentioned the loads were his and they are "a little hot".

I squeezed one off, marveled at my having successfully managed the recoil, then became aware of a stinging sensation in my palm. Upon investigation, the wooden grips had become several smaller pieces, all going their own way. I handed it back, with a "you're crazy!". But then, I had suspected that all along.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

.500 s&w…

go big or go home....or, to the chiropractor to get your self realigned after carrying that howitzer for any extended period of time.

This may be why homo sapiens invented the wheel.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Yes, but it is most likely going to be on my hip. Might get a shoulder holster for formal occasions, but 99.9% would be on my belt. Weight on my hip doesn't bother me overly much.
    44 mags are heavy on the hip and carry 6 rounds at best. My ruger 454 is not a edc based on weight and capacity.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    44 mags are heavy on the hip and carry 6 rounds at best. My ruger 454 is not a edc based on weight and capacity.
    MY carry now is a steel 1911, so capacity isn't much different. The weight difference is less then you'd think. 48 oz. for the 4-⅝” barreled ruger, 39 oz. for 1911 without mag or ammo, comes up to 45 oz loaded.

I couldn't figure out how much a 454 round weights (whole round, not just the bullet), but honestly it just seems like a round that is hotter then I'd enjoy shooting.

That said the The 444 Multi by Tarurus weights only 28.00 oz, with a 4 in barrel, not sure how I feel about a titanium gun...
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; November 16th, 2019 at 06:13 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

I think everyone’s covered the different models along with 44 special as a lower recoiling substitute. My only comment is get a double action revolver. Given what could be happening around you, I’d want to be able to shoot with one hand. And yes, you can cock and shoot with one hand a single action revolver but no where as easily as a double action.

The 329 PD is a great choice.Load it with Underwood ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave from Pa View Post
    The 329 PD is a great choice.Load it with Underwood ammo.
    Lots on the market. Most come with a box of ammo with about three rounds missing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Just some thoughts...

I have a 69 Combat and a PC 629. I have had the PC 629 a few years. Just got the 69 Combat.

The 69 is a lot smaller but the holster needs to be smaller to take advantage of this.

The PC 629 comes with wood grips. Hogues are a Must IMO.

The PC 629 trigger out of the box is light years better than the 69 trigger. The 69 Combat stock DA pull is like a form of punishment. I am waiting on parts before I start messing with mine.

Cabelas sells "Cowboy Ammo" (HSC?). It is a 200gr 44mag load. Shoots like a 44spc but wont foul the cylinder, and seems cheaper and more available than 44spc.

Sig makes a 44mag VCrown round that IMO is worthy of consideration for EDC when bears are not the concern.

Buy some snap caps to train yourself with the DA trigger WITHOUT going broke.

YMMV

Oh and btw my 13yo daughter loves shooting my PC 629 snub with full house loads so some of you girls need to grow a pair.

;-P

(Berks County)

I dont open carry often ...but when I do I open carry I carry my Taurus Tracker .44 ....

D118638F-35F4-4D02-91EA-302AFDBFF1AE.jpg
    CF148B7D-47BE-4699-86E9-40AFCE3B3959.jpg
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast