Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Advice on an EDC .44 magnum

I'm not trying to dissuade you from your decision. Whatever you want to carry is your business. But I'm wondering, have you thought about how heavy a typical 44 mag revolver is?

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I'm not trying to dissuade you from your decision. Whatever you want to carry is your business. But I'm wondering, have you thought about how heavy a typical 44 mag revolver is?
    Yes, but it is most likely going to be on my hip. Might get a shoulder holster for formal occasions, but 99.9% would be on my belt. Weight on my hip doesn't bother me overly much.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Just try hitting a man-size target in the 9-ring or better at 25yds with a full-tilt .44 under duress!
    I owned a 629 Classic with a 6 inch barrel and was going to post my experience with such when I was younger and arguably stronger but figured I'd just give my advice about buying a quality firearm and not how follow up shots become more difficult as the round count goes up. The 44 special is a practice round but there are a few expensive specialty rounds that are suitable for self defense. As far as my preference goes I prefer a 3 or 4 inch 357 magnum because it's effective and follow up shots with full bore loads are more manageable. That's my experience and it may differ from other's experience.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Saw a lot of neophytes as well as experienced shooters show up at the metallic silhouette matches with newly purchased Ruger SBH and S&W 29/629 .44s. Most went thru a full cylinder or three without dropping a single 50yd chicken.

There were lots of stories of folks who saw Dirty Harry and had to have a .44 , no matter the cost. S&W Mod.29s were selling for 2-3x MSRP. These were soon for sale with a partial box of ammo. That's how I got my SBH.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

The new S&W classic line of revolvers is pretty good. The 4 inch model 29 should suit your purposes well. That one weighs around 40 ounces. (not much heavier than a government model 1911). With the model 29, I would keep the loads to 240 gr. factory magnums and no more. The N-frame is not the best platform to be cranking away with the heavy stuff. If weight doesn't bother you, a 4.25 inch Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum should handle the stout 300 gr. +P+ stuff offered by the boutique ammo companies just fine. The Redhawks with the 4 inch tubes are heavy suckers: like, 47 ounces or so.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Just try hitting a man-size target in the 9-ring or better at 25yds with a full-tilt .44 under duress!
    Thats a fact, Jack. I can do it all day with a 9mm. Love my .44, but might need to practice more.

(Bucks County)

Who cares if it is too heavy, not concealable or just down right impracticable..........

The mere chance you could do this one day makes up for all of the negatives. And then some........ I know this will give everyone a slightly "tingly" feeling inside!

Attachment 123236

I know you memorized the lines and know exactly what he was saying. Probably even thought if it before you read this.
    Last edited by Delkal; November 8th, 2019 at 07:47 PM.

(Lycoming County)

For reference, here's video of a poor soul shooting my Tracker in 44 mag at the last group shoot. It's about the same size/weight as my GP 100, maybe even a little lighter. Shooting 240gr full power magnums.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    How big can you handle carrying and is concealment a factor? The 329 PD is probably a great choice, it's light and still has 6 rounds. It's N-frame sized though, so concealment would be a challenge. For OC it's probably the best IMHO. If you want to conceal the Model 69 is about the same size as a 686, so much easier to conceal. You lose a round though, since it's only 5 Shot. I'm reviewing a Taurus Tracker in 44mag right now for my YT channel. It's the same overall size basically as the 69, but half the cost with a ported barrel. Finish isn't great, but it's held up to almost 200rds of full house loads so far and still solid. I'm trying to get another couple hundred down the pipe before I realease my review, but unless something drastic happens it's looking like a winner for a budget big bore ccw.

That said I'm planning on getting a 329 sometime in the near future.
    You let me shoot the tracker and I found it to be accurate and nicely finished. Stiff recoil but not hurtful.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    Snubbies, are generally considered "belly guns".
    Try some crimson trace laser grips and see hlw accurate they really are.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast