Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Advice on an EDC .44 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by DonBiase View Post
    Snubbies, are generally considered "belly guns".
    Yea. Just didn't meet my standards. I want to have a fair chance of hitting someone at 35-50 yards....and I'm not Kahr's sponsard shooter or Hickok45 so I need a longer barrel length.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lycoming County)

Jesus Man, get a better mic
    Working on it.lol

My headset I used before crapped out, so I'm saving for a good one. I'm using a cheapy now and it isn't great. I might try my shotgun mic and see how it works in the interim.

Why the hell would you be shooting at someone 50yds away?

I'll take it you never fired a short barrel .44 mag with full power loads at any distance.

The .44 mag is way too powerful for SD and on the odd chance you hit the person you're shooting at and not someone well beyond , the .44 is not noticeably more effective than a .45 ACP. Bullets are generally too heavily constructed for thin-skinned people critters.

The 125gr JHP .357 mag is generally about a 95% one shot stop with a solid body hit.

Stop jerking off to Dirty Harry movies!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Not a chance I'm carrying anything in a +P or +P+ .44 Magnum.
    I was referring to 45 colt +p. You mentioned having Interest in a 45 colt revolver.

(Bucks County)

As the former owner of a 629 Mountain Gun, having fired full power a jacketed hollow points through it, let me give you one word of advice for 44 Magnum for everyday carry.

Don't.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Why the hell would you be shooting at someone 50yds away?

I'll take it you never fired a short barrel .44 mag with full power loads at any distance.

The .44 mag is way too powerful for SD and on the odd chance you hit the person you're shooting at and not someone well beyond , the .44 is not noticeably more effective than a .45 ACP. Bullets are generally too heavily constructed for thin-skinned people critters.

The 125gr JHP .357 mag is generally about a 95% one shot stop with a solid body hit.

Stop jerking off to Dirty Harry movies!
    In order:

Someone grabs my kid or is a threat at that distance. Statistically you lose site of a kid that gets snatched, their dead. You're better off taking the shot.

No, and I don't particularly want a short barreled .44

I'd prefer not to have to shoot. Buddy of mine had got robbed at knife point. Upon pulling out his 9mm, bad guy realized that he wasn't in west side story and ran away. He ditched his 9mm for a .44, because he doesn't want to have to pull the trigger. Personally the idea of shooting someone doesn't bother me, that went away a long time ago, because I know what makes the green grass grow. That said I'd prefer to avoid the legal hassle, or having to mow my lawn.

Jesus man, how old do you think I am?

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I was referring to 45 colt +p. You mentioned having Interest in a 45 colt revolver.
    Fair enough, my misunderstand.

Which is why I asked for advice. Not a subject I know a huge amount on.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; November 8th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

Both my 44 revolvers have 6+" barrels. One is a scoped DX (full length lug) and the other a Performance Center. I used both for target and hunting. I wouldn't consider using them for CC as there are just to many better options out there. 357 Mag may be one, but I like a 9mm Kimber myself.

(Chester County)

The Ruger Redhawk is probably your best bet at this point unless you can find a good used Smith and Wesson model 29/629. The Smith and Wesson came in 4 and 6 inch barrels. The Redhawk comes in 4.20 or 5.50 inch barrels.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    Both my 44 revolvers have 6+" barrels. One is a scoped DX (full length lug) and the other a Performance Center. I used both for target and hunting. I wouldn't consider using them for CC as there are just to many better options out there. 357 Mag may be one, but I like a 9mm Kimber myself.
    *PAMedic double checks.

**finds himself in Open Carry part of forum.

*** See's OC avatar by his name

****wonders what kind of posers CC, but remembers forum rules about personal insults.

Seriously, I only CC in church, and that is badly. If I lift my kids up, raise my hands (not uncommon in a Pentecostal church), my 1911 is visible. Even when I'm not, I'm printing pretty clearly, and I stopped paying attention to my wife pulling my shirt back over my gun. After Church, I tuck my stuff in, and tend to run into church members at the grocery store.

No scope, and I doubt I'd toss a red dot on, but this is absolutely going to be an Every Day Open Carry gun.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; November 8th, 2019 at 06:09 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Just try hitting a man-size target in the 9-ring or better at 25yds with a full-tilt .44 under duress!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast