Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Virginia has fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Well I ain't going nowhere, neither is my opinion. So I guess I will send a sternly worded letter to my congressman to try and change the Constitution. Thanks for the help.
    Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you in particular should move out of the country. I was merely pointing out those are the two options for people who do not want to elect a president using the electoral college. BTW, your vote counts individually when you vote for your congressman, just as the founders intended.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    And you're ignoring the history of the country. We are a collection of sovereign States that agree to allow certain limited powers to a central, Federal government because they are mutually beneficial. This happened because original settlers congregated with those of like minds in colonies (states) where they felt comfortable. If you didn't like what Roger Williams was pitching in Rhode Island, you could go give William Penn's place a shot.

If the EC goes away, States's rights won't be far behind, and that will lead to an even more powerful Federal government guided by mob rule.
    You're not actually arguing to sustain the EC here. What you're arguing for is continuing the winner-take-all paradigm that most states follow - something that is not required or even specified by the Constitution.

Winner-take-all is very much akin to gerrymandering: the institution of policies that will help preserve an incumbent party's hold on power, as well as maintain the two-party status quo. The fact that you feel you are currently benefiting from said policies does not insulate you from becoming the victim of them in the future - and thus should not hold you back from considering change. And the two-party status quo harms everyone. This system should not be perpetuated, it should be fixed.

I suspect you will feel very differently about the Electoral College when PA moves from purple to blue - something that is starting to look inevitable.

I suggest you consider looking into some of the other election systems that are out there (some are in the US, even). Runoff elections seem much more fair and inclusive to me, and carry the benefit of opening the playing field to other political parties. That's just one example.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you in particular should move out of the country. I was merely pointing out those are the two options for people who do not want to elect a president using the electoral college. BTW, your vote counts individually when you vote for your congressman, just as the founders intended.
    Your STATE was supposed to be your primary government, then the Feds figured out they could take over. Also, the President does not represent People, he serves on behalf of the States for the limited amount of duties originally assigned to the Feds, like National Defense. That is why the States elect the President, not individuals. As you say your House Rep is your representative. Senators used to be appointed by the Governor and also were to represent the State's interests.

Getting rid of the EC would create the Mob Rule Democracy the Founders intentionally wrote the Constitution to avoid creating a Republic. Now Democrats realize they could insure one party Democrat rule if the EC were abolished, or they can ILLEGALLY circumvent it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    You're not actually arguing to sustain the EC here. What you're arguing for is continuing the winner-take-all paradigm that most states follow - something that is not required or even specified by the Constitution.

Winner-take-all is very much akin to gerrymandering: the institution of policies that will help preserve an incumbent party's hold on power, as well as maintain the two-party status quo. The fact that you feel you are currently benefiting from said policies does not insulate you from becoming the victim of them in the future - and thus should not hold you back from considering change. And the two-party status quo harms everyone. This system should not be perpetuated, it should be fixed.

I suspect you will feel very differently about the Electoral College when PA moves from purple to blue - something that is starting to look inevitable.

I suggest you consider looking into some of the other election systems that are out there (some are in the US, even). Runoff elections seem much more fair and inclusive to me, and carry the benefit of opening the playing field to other political parties. That's just one example.

I understand what you're saying. Here's the thing though: States' rights are what matter to me and I don't want to see changes that will lead to a stronger Federal government, whether in the name of fairness of because of how my state leans. I know PA is turning and I already feel like my vote doesn't matter because I'm outnumbered by Democrats locally (being in a suburb of Pittsburgh). I'm eyeing WV as a retirement destination. That's the choice I want: to be able to move to a state where the majority feels the way I do and can protect itself from the Fed's overreach when necessary.

Virginia has fallen years ago. I have lived down here 14 years. It is an absolute shit show. The whole area is the same mentality as DC. Where I live now in West Virginia is going that way also thanks to the spillover from northern Virginia. Sad to say but with the public schools in the area brain washing students and the people moving from DC to the west, it will not change. Also, when Northern Virginia, Richmond, and the Tidewater region vote, it voids the votes from the rest of the state. These areas are all blue. Governor Northam had bills set up and ready to go because he was figuring this election would be the one to give them everything. Virginia will never be the same and these bills will pass. He is essentially trying to copy MD, NJ, and Cali. All the democrats voted in have the same mentality.

Last but not least, there was tons of outside influence with this election. Soros absolutely funded candidates. Way more then what is ever being published. Multiple celebs showed up at rally's to help. The republican party did not help as some of their candidates do not appeal to independent or even current republican voters. A lot of ads were paid to slander republicans and independents who support Trump. It was a very dirty race. Honestly pathetic. There were democrats that their whole platform was based on that. I guess we will get to watch the shit show unfold.
    Charlie - Ex-PA Resident

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Go for it, along with all the Democrats. Ask yourself why do they want that. But again, you've succeeded in stirring the pot with known B.S., so congrats. Feel better?
    Every day I wake up, I feel great. Like I said before....Republican, Democrat, or Independent, its my opinion that EVERY vote should count. As far as stirring the pot, isn’t that why we are here ??? To share different views ??? Or should we all just believe as you do ? 3D770930-DDA0-4FED-A10F-6CACD8393480.jpg
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Carbon County)

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Carbon County)

“JUST MOVE” (and Why it Doesn’t Work)

Alex Gubenko, Blackwire Media November 8, 2019
    Meme contributed by John Rekesius.

Don’t like New Jersey? Just move. On July 27th, 2018, I closed on a house in the Richmond, VIrginia area. My family and I were relocating because I was offered to leave New Jersey by my job.

I was excited to escape the oppressive New Jersey taxes and laws, especially the gun laws.

Some of the first things I did was to apply for my Concealed Handgun Permit, buy some new magazines that I was previously forbidden from buying, and joined the VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League.) Life was good and the Virginia firearm owners had nothing to worry about. Right?

May 31, 2019 there was a mass shooting in Virginia Beach and a special session was called for the General Assembly in response.

Members of the VCDL (including myself) as well as the gun control supporters packed the Assembly chamber while the politicians debated the need for more gun control.

At the time the Virginia General Assembly was barely favored toward the right.

The session ended in 90 minutes after the Republicans called for a postponement of voting on any new laws. Crisis averted! We could all sit back and relax...right? Even though Virginia’s governor is a Democrat, we’re safe because the Virginia House and Senate have a Republican majority.

November 5, 2019, Election Day. Basking in the glow of the 2A rally from the previous weekend, I headed out to vote.

The Republicans lost the majority of both the House and Senate for the first time in 26 years.

Wasting no time, Governor Northam announced that he will reintroduce all of the failed gun control bills once the Democrats have taken over the majority. The bills he has at the ready, if passed, would make New Jersey and California seem like the proverbial Wild West that the gun-grabbers are always referencing.

So here we are today.

Threatened with being back in the same situation that I was in before in regards to firearms. What does one do? Just move? When does it end? Let me tell you, it doesn’t.

There are plenty of George Soroses and Michael Bloombergs out there who think they know what’s best for you and are willing to throw money at it until their vision is achieved. Firearm owners of the United States need to change their mindset and behavior.

We cannot sit back in the “free” states pointing at those poor suckers in the ones with mag limits. We cannot just move and expect the free state you’re moving to to stay free.

And we cannot just accept our fate and turn in our guns or bury them in the yard at every whim of those who oppose the Second Amendment. We need to come together.

We need to work as one. You can’t run forever. So what are you going to do? Stop being a spectator and become actively involved in the fight? Or just lay down and accept defeat? I know what I’m going to do. Who’s with me?

EDITOR's NOTE:

Alex Gubenko was born under the thumb of totalitarianism in the Ukraine, where FREEDOM was a prohibited concept.

His family emigrated when he was just 2.

"My family took me out of a communist country and I refuse to sit idly by while people try to turn the US into that!"

A naturalized US citizen and gun owner (funny how THAT seems to always be the case, isn't it?), Gubenko joined the Coalition years ago, and was quite active at Rallies & Protests for GUN RIGHTS. The Editors

Last edited by middlefinger; November 8th, 2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Lancaster County)

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Jersey was voted third most want to live state.smfh
    Yeah...... not by me!
    I am in what could be considered a better, more rural area in which I can see Pennsulvania from, but it is still New Jersey.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast