Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Can a carbine upper be cut down?

I have a standard carbine upper with a 14.5 bbl that had its p&w flash hider removed. Fixed front site. Can I have this cut down and a new fh threaded on for a pistol build upper? Was thinking as short as possible in front of front site.

I’ll snap some pictures tonight after work if needed to explain.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Can a carbine upper be cut down?

Barrel length of a AR "Rifle" has to be a minimum of 16". A 14.5 barrel is only legal on a "Rifle" provided the flash hider is welded onto the barrel to meet the 16" barrel length.

Two exceptions:
    If it's was originally a AR "Rifle" (with a stock), then you can apply for the $200 tax stamp to turn it into a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and reduce the barrel length to less than the 16" requirement.
    If it was originally a AR "Pistol", then you can have a barrel less than 16", but you can't put a stock on the "pistol" build without it turning it into a SBR (requiring the $200 tax stamp).

So, depending on the above variables you're AR may currently be illegal if it's assembled with only a 14.5" barrel.
    Last edited by Hawk; November 5th, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Toujours prêt

You can get that one cut down but It would be easer to just buy a barrel the length you want and sell the 14.5" one, unless the end got destroyed removing the pin and welded flash hider. You need a pistol lower or an SBR to have that upper without the correct length flash hider welded on. Taking it off without a pistol or SBR lower is not a good idea...
    Last edited by :-); November 5th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    I have a standard carbine upper with a 14.5 bbl that had its p&w flash hider removed. Fixed front site. Can I have this cut down and a new fh threaded on for a pistol build upper? Was thinking as short as possible in front of front site.

I’ll snap some pictures tonight after work if needed to explain.
    I'm thinking you could use the shortened barrel on A DIFFERENT LOWER that is starting it's life as a pistol.

Since a rifle must always remain a rifle (aside from SBR/submitting forms), you couldn't use the original "carbine" lower and simply put a pistol buffer tube on it and use that shortened barrel and say that it's now a pistol.

The shortened barrel could only be used to build an SBR, or a pistol - but not using the original lower.

Then just add a carbine/rifle barrel to the original carbine.

I'm pretty sure I have it right, but see what other responses you get as well.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm thinking you could use the shortened barrel on A DIFFERENT LOWER that is starting it's life as a pistol.

Since a rifle must always remain a rifle (aside from SBR/submitting forms), you couldn't use the original "carbine" lower and simply put a pistol buffer tube on it and use that shortened barrel and say that it's now a pistol.

The shortened barrel could only be used to build an SBR, or a pistol - but not using the original lower.

Then just add a carbine/rifle barrel to the original carbine.

I'm pretty sure I have it right, but see what other responses you get as well.
    This is correct, you can make the barrel on an upper as short as you want, provided you have a pistol lower (one that has never had a shoulder stock installed) to put it on, and don't put it on a rifle lower.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    This is correct, you can make the barrel on an upper as short as you want, provided you have a pistol lower (one that has never had a shoulder stock installed) to put it on, and don't put it on a rifle lower.

And to confuse matters more, there's no such thing as a "pistol" or "rifle" lower.

Until built into one or the other, a stripped, virgin (never built) lower is just... a lower.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Understood. Yes, I should have been more clear. I am aware that this needs to go on another lower, have a stripped one being built out for a pistol. My question was more specifically can the upper I have be cut down and used for the pistol upper? My thought was it may be a little less expensive to have a gsmith cut down the tube and install a muzzle device rather than buy or build another upper.

Pistol barrels can be had for $50-70 bucks doubt you'll find a smith to cut crown and thread for that.

(Washington County)

Definitely cheaper and easier to just use a new barrel.

(Montgomery County)

Combatarmory.com
    They have a 7.5" barrel for $50 or so with free shipping and a 25% discount for veterans day with coupon code VET25

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast