Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Pheasant Hunting SGL 43 & French Creek State Park

I was told by a state park representative that pheasant stocking is done near the Hopewell Big Woods parking lot, by Center & Crusher roads. That looks like a pretty small single field to hunt. Am I missing something?

I was also told by PGC that pheasant stocking is done in SGL 43, near the Horse Shoe Trail parking lot on Harmonyville Road. Is that correct? It seems like that trail would come out near a handful of small fields, but I can't tell if that's actually hunting grounds or not. The last thing I want to be doing is tramping around in some guy's farm land...

I'm not trying to figure out where the stocking is done so I can shoot birds off the truck. I just want to know where I can legally hunt where I'll have at least a chance of seeing some birds. Thanks in advance guys.

Default Re: Pheasant Hunting SGL 43 & French Creek State Park

Hope the coyotes cannot read !

(Berks County)

Ha ha, you have to watch for the trucks I guess..
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Just buy a couple chickens and shoot them in your backyard. It's almost the same thing. I seen one run across 209 yesterday.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

To reiterate, in case this wasn't perfectly clear the first time...

I'm not trying to figure out where the stocking is done so I can shoot birds off the truck.
    Also,

I saw*
    FTFY

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Just buy a couple chickens and shoot them in your backyard. It's almost the same thing. I seen one run across 209 yesterday.
    But take the plastic, shrink wrap off first, no?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuck View Post
    I was told by a state park representative that pheasant stocking is done near the Hopewell Big Woods parking lot, by Center & Crusher roads. That looks like a pretty small single field to hunt. Am I missing something?

I was also told by PGC that pheasant stocking is done in SGL 43, near the Horse Shoe Trail parking lot on Harmonyville Road. Is that correct? It seems like that trail would come out near a handful of small fields, but I can't tell if that's actually hunting grounds or not. The last thing I want to be doing is tramping around in some guy's farm land...

I'm not trying to figure out where the stocking is done so I can shoot birds off the truck. I just want to know where I can legally hunt where I'll have at least a chance of seeing some birds. Thanks in advance guys.
    There are hunting grounds there. There is also a place to park on Harmonyville Rd near where Pine Creek crosses (west of Bethesda Rd). From there, there are several fields to hunt walking west parallel to Harmonyville Rd. There are also a couple of places you can park along those fields. The southern ones to the far west are swampy and can be a good place.

From the parking near Pine Creek, you can also hike south through the woods to some other fields. The hike to the fields to the south and southeast has a decent trail, but it can be pretty wet in places. Those fields are my favorites. Upland hunting pants make for a much nicer day back in those fields. Just walk straight south along the eastern edge of the field from the parking area and you should easily find the trail. They are also easily accessed by trail from the Horseshoe Trail parking area.

I suggest getting the free SGL app for your phone. It has maps of SGL's and is GPS enabled, so you can easily see if you are going the right way or are leaving the SGL. There are also signs at the edge of the SGL in some places.

On stocking days, I've seen groups of hunters with radios tracking the truck. They stock in several places and appear to try to change it up. I've done OK between stocking days, and have seen birds in all of the places I mentioned.

Good luck, and enjoy some days in the fields and woods.
    Last edited by Gripsafety; November 3rd, 2019 at 08:07 AM.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

Yeah, hate to see people following the truck or sure. That makes no sport of it. All I know if the dates they stock as that is on the website. I work during the day then hunt when I can after work. I just hope they did not fly way ha ha!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Yeah, hate to see people following the truck or sure. That makes no sport of it. All I know if the dates they stock as that is on the website. I work during the day then hunt when I can after work. I just hope they did not fly way ha ha!
    If all I wanted to do was eat pheasant, there is a farm nearby where I can just buy one already dressed. While I really like pheasant, I also like the hunting experience, which doesn't guarantee you a bird on a particular day. I'm not all that disappointed if I spend 5 or 6 hours slogging through swamps and fields and go home without a bird. For me, it's more about what I'm not doing that day. A pheasant I shot is a treat. To each his own. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to buy what I want for the table. If someone needs to follow the truck to feed his family, he gets a pass in my world. Good people can sometimes find themselves in tough places, but that is not what I see following the trucks most of the time.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

I completely understand what you’re saying. I definitely am not one of those guys who relies on my hunting to feed my family I’m very fortunate as well. It’s all the thrill of the hunt so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast