Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Maintaining My Shotgun Finish

I use pledge to bring a luster back to older wood. scrubbing it with a polishing rag. Then re applying it, several times if needed. Then keep it clean.

The last rifle I did this too was absolutely filthy. I picked up three rifles for $120.00. The other two were plastic stocked rifles.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    If it's any consolation. A friend of mine has an Ithaca 37 that he bought new, when he was 12. He is now 5 times that old. The gun has been well maintained over it's life. Where many see wear and scratches, I see character and stories. My friend is damn fast and accurate too, reinforces the adage "beware of a man with one gun".
    I too have a 1973 37 that is as pretty to me today as it was when was new. Well maintained but a lot of irreplaceable memories. Kept in a humidity controlled safe, also but gets an occasional walk. It never let me down. I wouldn't think of parting with it for the world. Maybe $5,000.

(Pike County)

It's amazing what rubbing-in a few coats of paste wax will do for a wooden stock.

An additional plus for a hunting gun - the wax also increases the water-shedding capability of the stock.

(Bucks County)

I would try to get the well used but not abused look. Who wants to inherit their grandfathers trusty hunting shotgun that he used for years and have it look new?

You want the bluing to turn to thinning patina (and if you can hunt enough to wear it all off even better). It will be more much more valuable to your heirs that way.

(Berks County)

Would Ballistol be acceptable to run on both stock and metal?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Would Ballistol be acceptable to run on both stock and metal?
    YES https://ballistol.com/uses/firearm-cleaning-lubricant/
    Using Ballistol to maintain wooden gun stocks is particularly recommendable in climates with frequent rain and/or high relative humidity. Wood absorbs water and swells as a consequence. This may mean your stocks become bigger, wider and longer as they absorb more and more water. Before long they will no longer fit your gun or even crack. Ballistol will also prevent wood from drying out in hot arid climates.

Ballistol will not damage wood stocks; conversely, Ballistol seals and protects wooden stocks of firearms. In fact, Ballistol brings out the grain and luster of old wood. Read more about Ballistol’s uses on wood.

Ballistol is also safe to use on composite/polycarbonate stocks.
    Ballistol cleans and removes all types of bore fouling. Cleaning with Ballistol will save you time, minimize the need for brushing, and also form a protective film on your firearm. Due to its slight alkalinity, Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves black powder and corrosive ammo residue. In addition, Ballistol will beautify gun stocks, and prevent them from drying out. As a lubricant, Ballistol will never gum up or harden. With Ballistol, your entire firearm will stay lubricated and protected.

Ballistol is fully compatible with all metals including aluminum. However, Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver. Read more about Ballistol for metal care.

Ballistol is an excellent smokeless powder cleaning solvent. It will “melt” carbon deposits in the barrel and chamber.

Gun cleaning Most corrosion inhibiting lubricants can only protect against normal oxidation. They do so by covering up the surface, which they are supposed to protect, and prevent contact with water and air. Due to its alkalinity Ballistol can also protect against galvanic corrosion, acidic corrosion, and salt water corrosion.

Due to the anti-oxidants contained in it, Ballistol will never harden or gum up, and retains its lubricity over extended periods of exposure. Read more about Ballistol’s longevity
    Last edited by gghbi; November 4th, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

So maybe a one stop shop for me for my inexpensive Remington 870? Does anyone else do this here?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

So maybe a one stop shop for me for my inexpensive Remington 870? Does anyone else do this here?

On metal you only want to use oils that will not get gummy or polymerize. And Ballistol will do.

But on wood its the opposite. Non hardening petroleum oils will just soak in to the wood and remain oily forever. Then when you take your rifle out on a hot day or place it in the sun you will see the oily tears where your stock is crying.

You want to use vegetable based polymerizing oils like Linseed or Tung that soak into the wood, oxidize and harden.

(Berks County)

Well, I am not a safe queen kind of guy so I don't mind character but at the same time want to maintain as well as possible. My safe has a goldenrod and an EVA DRY as well as a hygrometer. Generally it stays between 30-38%.

So if I had a cloth that has say remoil sprayed in it or Ballistol, I could wipe it all down, metal and wood both and it would help protect and clean the surface? Just every time I take it out and handle it?
    No. Lemon oil for stock. Gun oil rots wood.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    On metal you only want to use oils that will not get gummy or polymerize. And Ballistol will do.

But on wood its the opposite. Non hardening petroleum oils will just soak in to the wood and remain oily forever. Then when you take your rifle out on a hot day or place it in the sun you will see the oily tears where your stock is crying.

You want to use vegetable based polymerizing oils like Linseed or Tung that soak into the wood, oxidize and harden.
    Oxidizing oils start fires on rags because oxidation creates heat. Don’t pile or trash can those rags.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast