Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Pike County)

Default Canik problems and Bad Customer Service

My intent is not to bash Canik. I have owned and shot a TP9SFX for two years in USPSA and it has been flawless. I just purchased a TP9SF Elite and have had nothing but problem and poor customer service. Gun will not go fully into battery when feeding a round into the chamber. I have been trying to get a Return Authorization from Century Arms for five days now. I keep leaving phone messages and have had only one response by email. They wanted to send me a softer recoil spring! The slide will not close all the way and they want to send a weaker recoil spring. Still no response from Century Arms.

I have swapped springs, taken out the extractor and loaded chamber indicator, firing pin lock, and tried different mags. No good. Barrel chamber will barely accept a headspace GO gauge. You have to press the barrel into full lock. I believe this is where the problem is. Too tight chamber or misaligned chamber/ barrel.
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Canik problems and Bad Customer Service

John is this the compact sf elite? If so I’ve got one too if you want to compare it.

I've always said the biggest inherent flaw with the Canik is that they were picked up by Century. I guess since the trouble with the SFX was due to it being over sprung which I had, it has to be the issue with everything now. Where did you purchase it? Is it possible that vendor has a policy to help out customers?
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 2nd, 2019 at 08:29 AM.

(Pike County)

Nate, Thank you for the offer. I heard back from Century today. They finally sent a Return Authorization Number. It is going back to them. 4-6 weeks is their quoted repair turn around. One thing I did not like is that I have to pay the postage to them. If you buy a S&W or Ruger they fully back their products and pay postage both ways. So I am out an additional $25.00 in postage on the purchase of this gun. Handguns have to go by next day air, No inexpensive Ground shipping allowed.
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JC Blauvelt View Post
    Nate, Thank you for the offer. I heard back from Century today. They finally sent a Return Authorization Number. It is going back to them. 4-6 weeks is their quoted repair turn around. One thing I did not like is that I have to pay the postage to them. If you buy a S&W or Ruger they fully back their products and pay postage both ways. So I am out an additional $25.00 in postage on the purchase of this gun. Handguns have to go by next day air, No inexpensive Ground shipping allowed.
    See if they will allow "Next Day Air - Saver". It's still one day service, but delivery guanantee by end of day, instead of the usual 10:00am deadline.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Next day air may be Century's rule. If so, that may be something to consider when contemplating buying something they are involved in.

I very recently had a S&W revolver mailed from FFL in Florida to an FFL/gunsmith in Doylestown, went ground, three day arrival. USPS allows guns mailed under those conditions, and gives the paying FFL a 26 percent discount to boot.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.