Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Thumbs up HB 641 - CASTLE DOCTRINE BILL FOR PA

Just got the notice of the "Castle Doctrine" being introduced today in the House in Harrisburg.

On first read, it looks good. Need to sit down and really read it well.

Link: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=0641&pn=0702

Read it and post comments!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: HB 641 - CASTLE DOCTRINE BILL FOR PA

Good! People need to realize that a person's home and the belongings within are the result of time and energy spent (time which you will never get back). Therefore, the things that you own are worth a portion of your life (the portion that you had to work to **EARN** these things).

I'm all for the Castle Doctrine. My house, my rules. My Body, My life, This is the way it should have been from the start. Glad we're finally changing it and getting around to it!

Edit: I don't have time to read it right now, but will this be extended to one's vehicle? I believe Florida does something like that, where your vehicle is an extension of your home.
    Last edited by Intrigue; March 7th, 2007 at 04:18 AM. Reason: See edit above.

(Bucks County)

Looks like we're in luck!!!

4 (4) Persons residing in or visiting this Commonwealth
    5 have a right to expect to remain unmolested within their
    6 homes or vehicles.
    7 (5) No person should be required to surrender his or her
    8 personal safety to a criminal, nor should a person be
    9 required to needlessly retreat in the face of intrusion or
    10 attack outside the person's home or vehicle.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Smykal View Post
    Good! People need to realize that a person's home and the belongings within are the result of time and energy spent (time which you will never get back). Therefore, the things that you own are worth a portion of your life (the portion that you had to work to **EARN** these things).
    You're absolutely right although I think the psychological damage of being kidnapped, robbed, or burglarized has far more impact on a person than their possessions. I can't say I know what rape feels like but I think I can safely say that a man not being able to defend himself or his family are as close as it gets.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Smykal View Post
    Edit: I don't have time to read it right now, but will this be extended to one's vehicle? I believe Florida does something like that, where your vehicle is an extension of your home.
    I am on lunch and just started reading the Bill.

(4) Persons residing in or visiting this Commonwealth have a right to expect to remain unmolested within their homes or vehicles.

I doubt I'll get to read it all because I only take 30 minutes. I may take it home to finish.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Berks County)

It is looking pretty much like it could be the bill that we've been hoping for. One thought that I have though is could this have been proposed as a bargaining chip to deny something HB30? It has happened in the past, we'll just have to keep a close watch on this one.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    It is looking pretty much like it could be the bill that we've been hoping for. One thought that I have though is could this have been proposed as a bargaining chip to deny something HB30? It has happened in the past, we'll just have to keep a close watch on this one.
    What worries me is the possibility of "tit-for-tat":

"Hey you give us HB30 (the PA AWB), and we'll give you HB641 (Castle Doctrine)".

I hope the pro-gun contingent doesn't play that game.

On the surface, it looks like a really good bill; I have to read it in detail before I make a final assessment on it, however. If it passes my personal "litmus test" I'll be writing the legislators asking them to support it. Personally, I'm interested to see how the new Democratic Rep in Berks county, David Kessler (my new rep) will vote on this.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    What worries me is the possibility of "tit-for-tat":

"Hey you give us HB30 (the PA AWB), and we'll give you HB641 (Castle Doctrine)".

I hope the pro-gun contingent doesn't play that game.

On the surface, it looks like a really good bill; I have to read it in detail before I make a final assessment on it, however. If it passes my personal "litmus test" I'll be writing the legislators asking them to support it. Personally, I'm interested to see how the new Democratic Rep in Berks county, David Kessler (my new rep) will vote on this.
    I'm thinking that, if anything, it would go the other way. "You pull the AWB and we'll pull the castle doctorine." You're right of course, I would much rather that they just push this through and kill the awb but the potential does exist.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Tioga County)

I see my assemblyman is on board fromthe get go. I guess I should call and give him an attaboy.

(Berks County)

My Rep, who was on the AWB (may have changed) is also on this as a sponsor. Go figure.

Something strange, though.

The way (b)(2)(ii) is worded that deadly force is not justifiable if
    (ii) the actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating...
    but then 2.3 says that
    An actor who is not engaged in a criminal activity and who is attacked in any place where the actor has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and use protective force, including deadly force, if the actor believes it is immediately necessary to do so to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse by force or threat.
    So which is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast