Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Exclamation Legal Reference Requested: Trespassing on Posted Private Property

Can someone please provide me with the exact PA statute that defines the offense of Trespassing on Posted Private Property and penalty? A link or snip of the exact legalese would be much appreciated.

Fairly urgent. Thanks.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Legal Reference Requested: Trespassing on Posted Private Property

http://members.aol.com/statutesPA/18.Cp.35.html
    (b) Defiant trespasser.--

1. A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
    i. actual communication to the actor;
    ii. posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;
    iii. fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders;
    iv. notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at each entrance of school grounds that visitors are prohibited without authorization from a designated school, center or program official; or
    v. an actual communication to the actor to leave school grounds as communicated by a school, center or program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement officer.
    2. Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense.
    Can't help with the penalty.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; October 16th, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Perfect.

That's what I call fast.

I thank you sir.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The penalty is listed out for the first 4 subsections - Misdemeanor third degree. Maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and I THINK up to $1000 fine.
    The last subsection (v.) is the Defiant Trespass. Misdemeanor of the first degree. Maximum penalty of 5 years in jail, and I think up to a $5000 fine.

The Defiant Trespass will get you federally excluded from owning, possessing or certainly purchasing firearms.

Good luck with whatever you are working on.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    The penalty is listed out for the first 4 subsections - Misdemeanor third degree.
    I don't agree. Read closely. That's only the case "if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person." Otherwise (except in v.), it's a summary offense.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Our parcel is posted as Private Property for the use and enjoyment of members only.

We have over 5 miles of single access blacktop over rolling hills and landscaped grounds.

We permit the neighbors from adjoining parcels to walk, jog, bike, roller blade and exercise their dogs on our land. It's the neighborly thing to do.

Recently, some of our "neighbors" have been abusing this access by defacing our homes, signage and not picking up after their animals.

Now the access will end. Under penalty of law.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    Good luck with whatever you are working on.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    ...That's only the case "if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person." Otherwise (except in v.), it's a summary offense.
    Yes, I read that too. I am not sure what "summary offense" means. Hopefully someone will chime in with that that means exactly.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
    Thank you sir.

Yes, I read that too. I am not sure what "summary offense" means. Hopefully someone will chime in with that that means exactly.
    Summary offense is lower than a misdemeanor. Its along the lines of jay-walking, speeding, etc..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
    Thank you sir.

It means that the offense can be dealt with summarily, without a jury trial. In PA that means an offense carrying a maximum of 90 days in jail, though usually you'll just be given a citation. If you want to fight it you can appeal to the court of common pleas.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    It means that the offense can be dealt with summarily, without a jury trial. In PA that means an offense carrying a maximum of 90 days in jail, though usually you'll just be given a citation. If you want to fight it you can appeal to the court of common pleas.
    I see. So, I'd have to call PSP (no local police where we are), wait for response (30+ mins.) and hope they catch the trespasser so he/she can cited. That does not sound promising. But at least now I understand the statute and penalty.

Thank you gents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast