Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why do cops ask about things that are none of their business???

Me, my 12 year old nephew, and my brother were pulled over in Kennett Square after going to the range. My brother was driving. The cop walks up to the car and can see the ammo bag in the back seat and asks "you guys got firearms in the car, I can see the ammo in the back seat?" We said "yes, we just came from the range." He asks "what range?" We didn't answer him. Then he asks "are you from around here?" We said "no". He asks "where you from?" At that point I ask, "what are we being pulled over for anyway?" He says "one of your brake lights are out." I said "well then all of these questions are irrelevant." He asks "do you have the ammo and firearms separated?" We said "yes, but I have a LTCF anyway." After that my brother got out to look at the broken brake light and told the cop we'll get it fixed. The cop just said "ok" and we left. And btw, when he was in his cruiser checking my bro's license and registration, etc., he comes back and tells my brother that his LTCF expired in March. My bro said "I know." So what good is the no requirement to inform law if they know whether you have a LTCF just by checking your DL? I have the utmost respect for police, but I draw a line when they start grilling you about where you're coming from, where you're going, where you live, etc. I was stopped for a a busted light last year by a Philly cop and he was way quicker and to the point than this guy. He just checked my DL and told me to get the light fixed. It was literally like 30 seconds. I laughed when my bro asked "what's up with that cop almost sticking his big head in the car window, too?" I said "he's checking for the smell of weed or alcohol." The thing that got me was the cop didn't say a word when I informed him that we weren't required to answer any questions about anything except what pertained to the broken light. He was a young guy, just gave the big eyes with his mouth hanging open. As I've said, no disrespect for the police, but this went too far. I know they're trained to ask all of those questions. Respect the police, but don't be walked on.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why do cops ask about things that are none of their business???

He was fishing hard.
    Almost surprised he didnt fear for his life and remove everyone from the vehicle for patdowns.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Me, my 12 year old nephew, and my brother were pulled over in Kennett Square after going to the range. My brother was driving. The cop walks up to the car and can see the ammo bag in the back seat and asks "you guys got firearms in the car, I can see the ammo in the back seat?" We said "yes, we just came from the range." He asks "what range?" We didn't answer him. Then he asks "are you from around here?" We said "no". He asks "where you from?" At that point I ask, "what are we being pulled over for anyway?" He says "one of your brake lights are out." I said "well then all of these questions are irrelevant." He asks "do you have the ammo and firearms separated?" We said "yes, but I have a LTCF anyway." After that my brother got out to look at the broken brake light and told the cop we'll get it fixed. The cop just said "ok" and we left. And btw, when he was in his cruiser checking my bro's license and registration, etc., he comes back and tells my brother that his LTCF expired in March. My bro said "I know." So what good is the no requirement to inform law if they know whether you have a LTCF just by checking your DL? I have the utmost respect for police, but I draw a line when they start grilling you about where you're coming from, where you're going, where you live, etc. I was stopped for a a busted light last year by a Philly cop and he was way quicker and to the point than this guy. He just checked my DL and told me to get the light fixed. It was literally like 30 seconds. I laughed when my bro asked "what's up with that cop almost sticking his big head in the car window, too?" I said "he's checking for the smell of weed or alcohol." The thing that got me was the cop didn't say a word when I informed him that we weren't required to answer any questions about anything except what pertained to the broken light. He was a young guy, just gave the big eyes with his mouth hanging open. As I've said, no disrespect for the police, but this went too far. I know they're trained to ask all of those questions. Respect the police, but don't be walked on.
    OK, IANAL, but, since your brother's LTCF expired in March, doesn't that mean, he doesn't have a valid LTCF?

(Columbia County)

He had a reason to stop you due to the brake light. He saw the ammo in the back seat and he asked about firearms. I would expect that with any police stop. You told him you have a LTCF. You didn't say if you showed it to him. Then he makes a check on your brother who was driving, license and registration and apparently was able to run a LTCF check and found out it expired in March and informed him of same.

He didn't search the vehicle and he didn't give your brother a citation. You didn't say if he received a equipment violation card requiring the brake light to be fixed and verified by police or a inspection mechanic. Other than the police officer not telling you why he stopped you when he initially made contact with the driver, I don't see what the police officer did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    OK, IANAL, but, since your brother's LTCF expired in March, doesn't that mean, he doesn't have a valid LTCF?
    That's correct, but I have a valid LTCF.

(Montgomery County)

Walls of text are hard to read.
    Paragraphs are appreciated.

Police will often banter to gauge demeanor more than seeking specific information.
    The degree of banter will vary greatly depending on individual experience.

I got pulled over for a busted tail light in New York and got questioned about why I was there with my PA plate.
    The officer didn't care why I was there, he just wanted to gauge my behavior and look me over for a minute, standard procedure.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    He had a reason to stop you due to the brake light. He saw the ammo in the back seat and he asked about firearms. I would expect that with any police stop. You told him you have a LTCF. You didn't say if you showed it to him. Then he makes a check on your brother who was driving, license and registration and apparently was able to run a LTCF check and found out it expired in March and informed him of same.

He didn't search the vehicle and he didn't give your brother a citation. You didn't say if he received a equipment violation card requiring the brake light to be fixed and verified by police or a inspection mechanic. Other than the police officer not telling you why he stopped you when he initially made contact with the driver, I don't see what the police officer did wrong.
    It wasn't that he did anything wrong (as far as stopping us for the brake light), it was the life story that he wanted from us that irked me. No, he didn't ask to see my LTCF. If he asked to see it I would have gladly shown him. I guess he didn't search the vehicle because we told him we had firearms in the trunk. I just wish all cops would act like normal people, without the authoritarian air they try to intimidate us with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like some of those guys on YouTube who try to purposefully antagonize the police. But asking where you're coming from, where you live ( I once had a cop ask what I did for a living), that is not acceptable and need not be answered. We just let him know that we weren't going to subject ourselves to that line of questioning. Again, not all of them act this way, and I am in no way anti-cop. I know they put their life on the line every time they go to work, and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Walls of text are hard to read.
    Paragraphs are appreciated.

Police will often banter to gauge demeanor more than seeking specific information.
    The degree of banter will vary greatly depending on individual experience.

I got pulled over for a busted tail light in New York and got questioned about why I was there with my PA plate.
    The officer didn't care why I was there, he just wanted to gauge my behavior and look me over for a minute, standard procedure.
    Sorry about that, it was kind of long. I'll try to remember to paragraph it next time

(Montgomery County)

Sorry about that, it was kind of long. I'll try to remember to paragraph it next time
    My tiny little mind thanks you.

Like any job, experience increases efficiency and performance.
    A less experienced officer will not banter and scan as well as an old hand.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    My tiny little mind thanks you.

Like any job, experience increases efficiency and performance.
    A less experienced officer will not banter and scan as well as an old hand.
    Yeah, you're right about that. In fact, the few encounters I've had it was with younger officers. We also go to an indoor range run by veteran police to train other officers and they are as nice as can be. When I first went there I told the officer at the counter that I had a LTCF and that I was carrying. I asked him if that was okay. He said "why not, it's your constitutional right." But he agreed that some ranges flip out if they see someone carrying, but told me it was okay there. It's all good, I don't hold a grudge. It was just a reminder that you don't have to be interrogated at every police stop.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast