Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Reflex Sight Suggestions for AR15

I've been trying to narrow down a red dot for my AR15 pistol and I keep going back and forth between getting a decent quality red dot (Like a Holosun or Romeo 5) in the $125-$150 range, or just getting something cheap like the old Gen 1 Primary Arms Micro Red Dot that I have - I paid $80 on Black Friday years ago, but I can find that one for $50 now and I've seen exact clones for $30.

I finally realized that I can't make up my mind and the reason I'm even considering the cheap ones is because I just don't care for standard red dot sights and can't see spending more money than I have to on something I'm not going to be happy with regardless. I know that you keep both eyes open to shoot, but that teeny, round tube with all that aluminum housing around it is just so much clutter, and it's distracting.

I realized that what I REALLY want is a REFLEX sight.
    I know this because I own two of them and when I compare them to the tubular red dot, I notice that I can "see" EVERYTHING more clearly.
    The two I have are Sightmarks - if you need a minute to laugh, go ahead. I bought them knowing they are not $500 optics, but I also got them used, and for a price that was too good to pass up. So far, so good, and more importantly, I discovered that I prefer the way things look when using that style of sight.

I ran across a pretty affordable reflex sight tonight while looking for something else and I'll post it up later, but since I'm relatively new to reflex sights, I thought I'd ask for input.

Obviously I started the thread looking for info that will help ME, but feel free to add your thoughts even if you know that what you are suggesting is something I will never buy. (you all KNOW I'm not paying $300+ for a red dot)
    Hopefully we can get some good stuff here that will benefit other people looking into reflex sights too.

For MY purposes:
    I'm looking to equip a 7.62x39 AR15 PISTOL (7")
    I don't care for the circle/crosshair with dot in center - I'd rather have a dot, or something less "busy"
    Unsure if "cowitness" is even a concern (lower 1/3 or absolute) - it won't be used with fixed sights.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Reflex Sight Suggestions for AR15

Maybe I have my terms confused.

Looks like these are BOTH reflex sights?

Ugh. I've only seen the type on the left referred to as a "red dot", where I've only seen the type on the right referred to as a "reflex" sight.

The kind I WANT is the one on the right.

Like these!

I dont like reflex sights. I had that sightmark you show and in bright light it was hard to see the dot/cross hairs. And it wouldnt hold zero. I know it's out of your price range but I've been moving to primary arms cyclops or 2.5x. They also make micro dots like your last picture

(Bucks County)

I have a Vortex venom 3MOA with a cowitness riser on one of mine.

They're about $200.

(Allegheny County)

I highly suggest the Holosun 510c. I have one on my Scorpion, and it has been flawless so far. I love the 65 MOA Circle 2 MOA Dot reticle. Makes it easy on my horrible eyes. The shakeawake and solar charging features are pretty nifty. Also keep in mind that it has a QD mount built into it, where as with the micro dots above, you would need to buy one separately. They typically sell for $275-300, but I bet with Black Friday right around the corner, you could score one cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Holosun-HS510.../dp/B01MT5RJLD

I just got this for my scorpion. (ebay)

(Wyoming County)

I also dont know technical difference between red dot/reflex sight but I think I have found your described desire:

https://www.amazon.com/Holosun-2MOA-.../dp/B07NWWGNDR

$229 with mount included.
    * One thing to know about Holosun is that any model 4xx series is just a red dot and any thing #5xx series is red dot with the 65moa circle around it
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; October 25th, 2019 at 08:09 AM.

Having a 8 year old son with an 22lr AR-15 pistol I have been through several sights in the last year since it's fallen off the bench more then once. I can tell you that all reflex sights are fragile due to their open construction as compared to a traditional red dot, but the cheap Amazon ones are complete crap and wont stand up to constant recoil and defiantly not a short drop of a few feet. All to often the good reviews on items like this are from air soft gamers or people who went for the look and don't actually shoot.

I have a venom on my TP9FXS and it's a decent sight for a true pistol but it's tiny and I would not want it on a rifle/AR-pistol. The Holosun's posted above are really good and built tough with a lot of features and that would be my choice as well but you have to pay for that kind of quality in a open reflex site. Compared to the equivalent eotech they are a bargain and can often be found on sale.

You can find plain box legit Romeo's with just the tall AR mount between $99 and $109 right now which is a huge value for what you get. Sight-mark I have no real experience with it seems like most of the reviews are split 50/50 on some of their products. I do know they tend to be overly giant and clunky looking. Cabelas always has them in stock and on display and they are typically in the $150-$200.00 range.

(Washington County)

I have both a Vortex Venom and a Vortex Viper. I really like them both. One is on my MP5 and the other is on my AR9. I have no complaints about either.

(Allegheny County)

I had seen mostly bad reviews in terms of durability for the "budget" reflex sights, but then I ran across this one that seemed to be a step up.
    The price is $150 (shipped) WITH the riser.
    I like the simplicity - one button - and 6 hour auto shutoff. Plus it has a 3 MOA dot vs 5 or 6 MOA on most other budget reflex sights.
    I had never considered one of those "micro" reflex sights because I thought they were only meant for handguns.

Link

I'm NOT interested in a magnifier. Just posting for the visual to show the sight on an AR

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast