Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Reflex Sight Suggestions for AR15

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    I highly suggest the Holosun 510c. I have one on my Scorpion, and it has been flawless so far. I love the 65 MOA Circle 2 MOA Dot reticle. Makes it easy on my horrible eyes. The shakeawake and solar charging features are pretty nifty. Also keep in mind that it has a QD mount built into it, where as with the micro dots above, you would need to buy one separately. They typically sell for $275-300, but I bet with Black Friday right around the corner, you could score one cheaper.
    This^^^^^exactly.
    I had an Eotech for a number of years, loved the ring and dot reticle. I also have old eyes and wear corrective lenses, a simple dog is very difficult to pick up in a hurry without my glasses on, the circle is so much easier and faster.
    I liked the Eotech for the reticle but the battery life sucked. I sold it back to them when they had the buyback.
    I bought a Holosun red dot with basically the same for me dog reticle as the Eotech, really like it, still have it, still use it.
    I just added another AR to the fleet and put a Holosun 510 on it. I like the 510 best because of the size of the window. Shooting with both eyes open is Winchester and actually pretty natural with the 510, something I never really got used to with the little red dot.
    Anyway, the 510 has been reliable for the short few months I've had it and the battery life has not been tested yet.
    The Hostler

(Montgomery County)

I like reflex sights but could never stand how tall the backend is and how much of the view is blocked by the projector.

Im becoming a big fan of the larger red dots. Like the TRS-32.
    Utg pro are pretty cheap and nice as well. Can get both circle dot and dot, comes with QD base for $32 on amazon. Thats the UTG 3.8" the UTG 4.2" is nice as well and $42 both 1 day prime. The utg 3x flip to side QD magnifier is on sale on amazon atm too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    This^^^^^exactly.
    I had an Eotech for a number of years, loved the ring and dot reticle. I also have old eyes and wear corrective lenses, a simple dog is very difficult to pick up in a hurry without my glasses on, the circle is so much easier and faster.
    I liked the Eotech for the reticle but the battery life sucked. I sold it back to them when they had the buyback.
    I bought a Holosun red dot with basically the same for me dog reticle as the Eotech, really like it, still have it, still use it.
    I just added another AR to the fleet and put a Holosun 510 on it. I like the 510 best because of the size of the window. Shooting with both eyes open is Winchester and actually pretty natural with the 510, something I never really got used to with the little red dot.
    Anyway, the 510 has been reliable for the short few months I've had it and the battery life has not been tested yet.
    I'm OK with the giant crosshair/circle with dot in the center for longer shots where you can take a second, but when I try practicing with it indoors, I'm just overwhelmed by "red". It's just a huge, glowing ring that I find distracting vs a red dot.
    That's just me though - that's why it's great that there are so many options.

I like the look of that Holosun 510 - nice, big glass. I just can't justify the $300 price tag.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

The most popular sight in competition around here is the C-More railway systems. Price is variable depending on plastic or aluminum. Dot size is also interchangeable with different sized pill projectors.

These take serious abuse. Had one on 50 Beowulf and 450 Bushmaster for years.

https://www.amazon.com/C-MORE-System...2126583&sr=8-1
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

It's looking like I'd have to spend $200+ to get a known-reliable brand and some still require purchasing a riser on top of that.

I may be deciding between a budget option reflex sight, or simply sticking with a basic, tubular, micro red dot like I already have, and just accepting that I'll have to deal with it not being exactly what I'd like.

I'm not really keen on paying what Sightmark wants for theirs. Their quality is questionable, but the prices are still on the high end in terms of "affordable" - only a little less than what better optics cost.

I'd honestly rather try something like that AT3 ARO Micro from AT3 Tactical for $150 shipped - including the riser.
    It's got the features I most want (smaller than usual MOA dot size and an auto-off) and it's got a lifetime warranty.
    Hell, Sightmark only warrants theirs for 3 years.

I dunno this is the Primary Arms Micro Dot that I have on my 5.56 pistol. (review)

CDNN Sports has an exact copy - likely the identical item - rebranded as a Bushmaster for $49.99
    When I got mine back around 2013 it was a screaming hot Black Friday deal at $79. Haha! How fast things evolve!
    It's certainly "primitive" compared to all the stuff out there now, but it does work, and it's better than some $40 Amazon stuff that I'd be flipping a coin on.
    I may just get this as a temporary optic and start tossing pennies in a jar and get a better one next year.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's looking like I'd have to spend $200+ to get a known-reliable brand and some still require purchasing a riser on top of that.

I may be deciding between a budget option reflex sight, or simply sticking with a basic, tubular, micro red dot like I already have, and just accepting that I'll have to deal with it not being exactly what I'd like.

I'm not really keen on paying what Sightmark wants for theirs. Their quality is questionable, but the prices are still on the high end in terms of "affordable" - only a little less than what better optics cost.

I'd honestly rather try something like that AT3 ARO Micro from AT3 Tactical for $150 shipped - including the riser.
    It's got the features I most want (smaller than usual MOA dot size and an auto-off) and it's got a lifetime warranty.
    Hell, Sightmark only warrants theirs for 3 years.

I dunno this is the Primary Arms Micro Dot that I have on my 5.56 pistol. (review)

CDNN Sports has an exact copy - likely the identical item - rebranded as a Bushmaster for $49.99
    When I got mine back around 2013 it was a screaming hot Black Friday deal at $79. Haha! How fast things evolve!
    It's certainly "primitive" compared to all the stuff out there now, but it does work, and it's better than some $40 Amazon stuff that I'd be flipping a coin on.
    I may just get this as a temporary optic and start tossing pennies in a jar and get a better one next year.
    Black Friday is coming up which is when I got some excellent deals on my Holosuns last year. It’s also a few months before SHOT and the release of new products so the older ones and discontinued models go on blow out.

Keep an eye on Optics Planet, Bitach, and Grab-A-gun. I’ve been wanting a 510 as well so if I come across a kick ass deal I will be sure to let you know.

(Berks County)

Try one of those big true glow sights. Cheap two color with lots of brightness levels and large tube.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Try one of those big true glow sights. Cheap two color with lots of brightness levels and large tube.
    They are pretty shitty which is unfortunate being that Truglo makes some excellent iron sights for pistols. There are better red dot sights you can get for about half their cost.

My 1st red dot style was a 30mm tube Truglo that I got brand new in box on a trade along with a high point .45 carbine. The carbine ran great however the sight lasted less then 200 rounds before it crapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm OK with the giant crosshair/circle with dot in the center for longer shots where you can take a second, but when I try practicing with it indoors, I'm just overwhelmed by "red". It's just a huge, glowing ring that I find distracting vs a red dot.
    That's just me though - that's why it's great that there are so many options.

I like the look of that Holosun 510 - nice, big glass. I just can't justify the $300 price tag.
    It's my opinion that at in house ranges sights aren't required. Before the m4 replaced the m16a2 we were taught to lay the stock sideways ontop of your shoulder and point shoot with just the front sight. And if you are having a hard time with shooting with both eyes open check your eye dominance, your left eye may be stronger.

(Berks County)

Whatever you do, skip a magnifier. All it does is make the dot a big red blur.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast