Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Barrel Swap

(Philadelphia County)

Default AR Barrel Swap

I'm looking to swap AR barrels and install a 300 BLK barrel.

I'm looking for a gunsmith or preferably someone knowledgeable that can actually show me how to do it (would compensate them).

Other than swapping stocks, grips, hand guards and install lower parts, I don't have the experience to do this and but really want to learn how to.

Looking for someone in NE Philadelphia or surrounding burbs.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: AR Barrel Swap

It's easier then it looks...

(Allegheny County)

I feel like such a fool for waiting until build number "X" before doing my own barrel.

All this time I've been letting other people torque on my barrels because I thought it was some super-precise task that required special know-how and all sorts of expensive tools to do it.

I was wrong.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I feel like such a fool for waiting until build number "X" before doing my own barrel.

All this time I've been letting other people torque on my barrels because I thought it was some super-precise task that required special know-how and all sorts of expensive tools to do it.

I was wrong.
    These guns were made to be assembled and repaired by people with the I.Q. of turkey gravy. Nothing on this gun is that hard or complicated.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

I took these pics. I may as well use them...

(posted in my recent build thread)

I posted this in another thread, but I finally got a vise and an upper vise block for torquing my own barrel nuts on.
    In the past I built the guns, but had someone else attach the barrel for me.

I don't have a work bench so this was the solution for a secure mount. It's ghetto, but it works!

I'm really kicking myself for not doing a quick and dirty video of the assembly of this build.
    It would really help to dispel the notion that it's hard to assemble an AR15 and/or you need "specialized tools" to do it.

I want people to understand that it's "just THAT easy" to assemble one all by yourself!

Tonight I grabbed the pistol, looked it over, and went over the process in my head, and gathered up all the tools I used to put it together.
    Everything is here - including the work bench!

Aside from mounting the vise on a plank and parking the SUV on it to hold it secure while I torqued the barrel nut on, the rest of it was put together either in my lap while browsing poofa, or on the kitchen counter!
    (not shown are the barrel nut "wrench/crows foot" and the hex key because they came with the hand guard)

4" vise (Harbor Freight)
    White duct tape - used to protect the surface of the upper while installing roll pins/etc.
    Long assed screwdriver for the grip screw
    (edit: I started the grip screw with the screwdriver, but snugged it up with a hex bit and ratchet - forgot to include ratchet in pic)
    Torque wrench (Harbor Freight)
    Robo Grip pliers - used for roll pin on bolt catch and roll pin on gas tube. We don't need no STEEENKING PUNCHES!!!
    3 sizes of hex keys
    TAPCO cheapo $10 spanner wrench for castle nut
    Blue thread locker (gas block set screws)
    Upper vise block

EDIT: The measuring cup was not used in the assembly of the pistol - it was used to make blueberry muffins.
    The gun turned out better than the muffins.

Oh crap!

I forgot the two most important tools I didn't need to buy! (ignore all those Youtube people who tell you to buy a $5 pivot pin tool)

Needle nose pliers - to hold the detent in place before applying the utility knife blade.

Small utility knife - to press in on the detent and hold it in place while you slide the pivot pin into place.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Detoxx100 View Post
    I'm looking to swap AR barrels and install a 300 BLK barrel.

I'm looking for a gunsmith or preferably someone knowledgeable that can actually show me how to do it (would compensate them).

Other than swapping stocks, grips, hand guards and install lower parts, I don't have the experience to do this and but really want to learn how to.

Looking for someone in NE Philadelphia or surrounding burbs.

Thanks in advance.
    Im in Valley Forge, and have both an upper vice block and ar wrench.

Question though, why not build a second complete upper so that you can swap uppers in 30 seconds to switch calibers vs dealing withing getting a barrel out out of an upper that could have an extremely tight fit....

Cheap handguard, upper receiver, and your still less than $150 including a bcg.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Im in Valley Forge, and have both an upper vice block and ar wrench.

Question though, why not build a second complete upper so that you can swap uppers in 30 seconds to switch calibers vs dealing withing getting a barrel out out of an upper that could have an extremely tight fit....

Cheap handguard, upper receiver, and your still less than $150 including a bcg.
    Yes, it does seem counterproductive to do the work and still only have one rifle vs doing the work and having ANOTHER rifle! LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am now inspired to attempt this on my own. I'll be ordering the right equipment this week and will report back. May need a hand but I'll keep you guys posted.

And yes, ICP4Life, now you got me thinking about building another upper since I have some spare parts lying around...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Detoxx100 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I am now inspired to attempt this on my own. I'll be ordering the right equipment this week and will report back. May need a hand but I'll keep you guys posted.

And yes, ICP4Life, now you got me thinking about building another upper since I have some spare parts lying around...
    Just paid 66 bucks shipped for 2 stripped upper assemblies. Build another one.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Monroe County)

LOL at the redneck vise.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast