Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question I'm confused, straighten me out

I'm new to red dots. I put one on my 22 pistol and if I hold it about 2 inches above the bull's-eye, I can count on it to put a hole in the bull's-eye every time, at 25 feet. When I took off the cap for the ''up-and-down adjustment'', it says '' UP ''with a arrow going clockwise. I assume that if I turn the adjustment counterclockwise, it will bring the red dot and the point of impact closer together ? I really would like to shoot at the 50 foot targets, but I forgot my spotting scope, but the holes are little too small for old eyes. As you can tell I am new to this.

(Erie County)

Default Re: I'm confused, straighten me out

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I'm new to red dots. I put one on my 22 pistol and if I hold it about 2 inches above the bull's-eye, I can count on it to put a hole in the bull's-eye every time, at 25 feet. When I took off the cap for the ''up-and-down adjustment'', it says '' UP ''with a arrow going clockwise. I assume that if I turn the adjustment counterclockwise, it will bring the red dot and the point of impact closer together ? I really would like to shoot at the 50 foot targets, but I forgot my spotting scope, but the holes are little too small for old eyes. As you can tell I am new to this.
    I believe it is just the opposite. I never sighted anything in by aiming off the target. I'd take three shots at the bull, mark the center of the group, and if that mark is below your target, move the point of impact UP, by moving the adjustment clockwise.

https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/zer...best-hack-ever

(Dauphin County)

Turning the adjustment screw in the direction of UP will bring the POI (Point-Of-Impact of the bullet) up. If the bullet is hitting below where you are aiming, turn the screw in the UP direction in small increments until the bullet is hitting where you are aiming: POA=POI (Point-Of-Aim = Point-Of-Impact).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Susquehanna County)

And since you mention "old eyes", be sure to use your prescription glasses when using the red dot, else your red dot might look like a red woolly caterpillar!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

The text indicated on optics are the directions that the impact of the round will move when adjusted.

(Washington County)

I swear I have had a red dot optic where "UP" marked on the adjustment turret means the bullet (point of impact) OR the red dot you see, so they're opposite! Either way, it is moot. At a close range, crank the turret 10 clicks one way, aim for the center of a target and see what happens. If it went the wrong way, just crank the turret the other way. Don't be afraid to crank that turret!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Turning the adjustment screw in the direction of UP will bring the POI (Point-Of-Impact of the bullet) up. If the bullet is hitting below where you are aiming, turn the screw in the UP direction in small increments until the bullet is hitting where you are aiming: POA=POI (Point-Of-Aim = Point-Of-Impact).
    That's the right way to do it, also I fire three shots to make sure I have a group, then move the group to the bullseye.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Tell us which red dot you have and we can probably get the correct information from the user manual. Not all red dots work the same way. Otherwise . . .

JoshIronshaft basically gave you the correct advice . . . "Either way, it is moot. At a close range, crank the turret 10 clicks one way, aim for the center of a target and see what happens. If it went the wrong way, just crank the turret the other way."

Actually, a quarter turn should be enough.