Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Best Way to Shoot Ruger SuperBlackhawk

Last edited by ViperGTS19801; October 23rd, 2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Junior

(Lancaster County)

After a few surgeries in my right arm, Id thought Magnum handguns where something in the past for me. I decided to experiment going lefty with the SA Blackhawk. I tried the shooting stick in my right hand and shooting lefty. it worked well, although with the single stick I often had the inverted pendulum action going on side to side. I then experimented with the double crossed poles and found this set up to be more favorable and stable while a bit longer to get into action, can be used sitting or kneeling without fussing with adjustable pole lengths. I repurposed an older set of cross country ski poles that can double as hiking poles
    I have since regained most strength and recoil tolerance in my right arm and often use the sticks still, In my youth I often thought of shooting sticks as a gimmick or an unnecessary tool, even an excuse for bad marksmanship and shooting ability. I was totally wrong on this assessment, they work

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Since we're talking shooting sticks, I see you're using a monopod. Is there a consensus at to what works best, mono, bi or tripod? Or is it personal preference?

I've been looking at the various sticks and can't decide which I would prefer. Is one better for handguns vs. longguns?
    Mono for its light weight, compactness and they are cheaper. Mine is a trigger stick that collapses and extends. Like Steve said not weight bearing but can stabilize you while walking.

A colt dragoon is my weight lifting toy for building up the strength to hold a heavy gun in firing position. It’s never going to be unexpectedly loaded and it’s heavy as hell.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Luzerne County)

Shooting during load development: i put my elbows on the bench. Hold the gun with a two handed grip. I extend the gun past the edge of the bench so that the gun is unsupported except for my hands. The gun/hand combo is free to move under recoil.
    Shooting offhand is pretty much the same thing except that i am standing and my arms are held straight out and elbows locked.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; October 27th, 2019 at 08:01 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Delaware County)

I just use regular .44s in mine. Why beat myself up? I have the Bisley model, designed for competitive target shooting.

I use a Primos shooting stick. It doubles as a walking stick. This may be me, but I am more accurate and have better luck shooting iron sights. They are much more forgiving to me than scope crosshairs. I also get in practical shooting by shooting walk through steel shoots all summer and fall at a few local gun clubs.

(Philadelphia County)

I used to read a lot of John taffin and Elmer Keith articles. I favored the technique with my back against a tree sitting with my knees up my arms braced in between my thighs/ knees.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12