Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Best Way to Shoot Ruger SuperBlackhawk

What is the best way to shoot a scoped 44 mag SuperBlackhawk w/ a 7-1/2" barrel? I get better groups shooting from the bench with the barrel on a shooting bag, but that is not realistic for field shooting. When I use a 2 handed hold, me left hand is fairly tightly wrapped around my right on, and both palms are resting on the table. There is a fair amount of weight infront of my hands and the cross hairs move more than I like.

Is there a better technique, or is it just a matter of more practice?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Best Way to Shoot Ruger SuperBlackhawk

For load development and sight in I lay the front portion of the frame (in front of trigger guard) on a rest and also rest my wrists on a bag. This gives me the most steady hold on the bench. As far as field positions I shoot from various positions resting on both vertical and horizontal surfaces. This simulates tree branches and tree trunks, both of which will generally be available in the field.

As a rule, I don't rest the barrel or the grip frame on anything unless absolutely necessary.

(Berks County)

Get a shooting stick.

Build up your strength.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Get a shooting stick.

Build up your strength.
    I agree with a shooting stick. My wife got me one for my S&W 500. If you are out in the woods it will be your best bet.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Luzerne County)

One of my many hunting handguns is a Ruger Super Blackhawk, but it wears a Burris Fastfire 3 instead of a scope. I have other handguns with a scope; Ruger Super Redhawk and T/C Contenders.

Shooting from a rest is more solid than shooting with your hands resting on the table. The rest doesn't move, your hands can flex. One thing is to practice more. Another as mentioned, is to get yourself a shooting stick. I use a Primos Trigger Stick.

This is the stick, but I'm using one of my T/C Contenders on this day.

(Westmoreland County)

The consensus appears to be shooting stick in the field, shoot off a rest on the bench & practice!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    For load development and sight in I lay the front portion of the frame (in front of trigger guard) on a rest and also rest my wrists on a bag. This gives me the most steady hold on the bench.
    This is what I do for my most accurate shooting w/ this gun.

(Jefferson County)

If the shooting stick isn't your cup of tea..

The tea-cupping hold typically isn't favored, but with a plow handle it really doesn't matter. A plow handle is designed to allow the gun to roll up in your hand(as long as you aren't using rubber grips). And the tea-cup hold will help support the gun better than just 1 hand. Or you can try a hybrid of tea-cup/hand-over-hand.

I use a hybrid hold with my 10.5" Virginian Dragoon Silhouette .44mag and Ruger Vaquero .45Colt when shooting without support. ...no problems hitting what I want. And that Dragoon isn't very lightweight at all.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    One of my many hunting handguns is a Ruger Super Blackhawk, but it wears a Burris Fastfire 3 instead of a scope. I have other handguns with a scope; Ruger Super Redhawk and T/C Contenders.

Shooting from a rest is more solid than shooting with your hands resting on the table. The rest doesn't move, your hands can flex. One thing is to practice more. Another as mentioned, is to get yourself a shooting stick. I use a Primos Trigger Stick.

This is the stick, but I'm using one of my T/C Contenders on this day.

Since we're talking shooting sticks, I see you're using a monopod. Is there a consensus at to what works best, mono, bi or tripod? Or is it personal preference?

I've been looking at the various sticks and can't decide which I would prefer. Is one better for handguns vs. longguns?

(Luzerne County)

The monopod style works for me. It's collapsible, so when on stand, I can shorten it. I extend it when walking and use it like a walking stick. It's not a true walking stick as if you put enough weight on it, you can collapse it, but it keeps my balance, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast