Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 44 Mag LSWC Loads for Super Blackhawk

I have been working on some 44 Mag 240 Gr. LSWC loads for my Super Blackhawk (7.5" barrel). I have been checking velocity with my LabRadar chronograph & this is the data that I have so far:

Unique
    7.0 gr. - 925 fps & 37 fps ES
    8.0 gr. - 1021 fps & 62 fps ES
    9.0 gr. - 1124 fps & 25 fps ES
    10.0 gr. - 1189 fps & 31 fps ES
    11.0 gr. - 1213 fps & 83 fps ES

I'm not sure why the large differences in extreme spread, but thinking about settling in on 10 gr. of Unique. Seems like a nice, medium load and at 1189 FPS (754 ft-lbs.), I do not expect leading problems. I worked up some loads w/ 296 & H110, but the lowest velocities were 1250 FPS & I do not want to worry about leading. The bullets came from the Missouri Bullet Company.

How do these velocities compare to what some of you guys have seen?

(Chester County)

Default Re: 44 Mag LSWC Loads for Super Blackhawk

I don't load for 44 Special or 44 mag. The closest thing I have is 45 Colt which as you know can be pushed to magnum velocities in the proper pistol. I have to go look at my data, but I am surprised you're not getting leading in the faster velocities. I usually keep my LSWC under 1,000 FPS.

(Beaver County)

Not surprised at no leading. If the bullet is the correct dia for your gun and the bullet is relatively hard you can go pretty fast. My coated lead bullets will go 1400FPS with no leading. I use 5.5 gr of Unique for 44 special loads. Shoot what is accurate.

Accuracy > velocity.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Clarion County)

My Redhawk 8.0 gr. Unique load with a 7.5" barrel almost mimics your velocities. Utilizing a Winchester primer with a cast 245 gr. Lyman Keith style SWC it comes in at 1039 fps. ES noted was 36.2.
    The cast is half pb and half wheel weights which many would consider on the soft side compared to commercial cast.
    Have been told and came to believe myself bullet fit is primary cause of most leading.
    My hunting loads with 2400 run close to 1300 fps. with no problems.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Not surprised at no leading. If the bullet is the correct dia for your gun and the bullet is relatively hard you can go pretty fast. My coated lead bullets will go 1400FPS with no leading. I use 5.5 gr of Unique for 44 special loads. Shoot what is accurate.

Accuracy > velocity.
    That's impressive. I have not had any leading either, but I keep my lead bullet loads relatively mid range in velocity, but push the FMJ faster.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    That's impressive. I have not had any leading either, but I keep my lead bullet loads relatively mid range in velocity, but push the FMJ faster.
    Its not really impressive. After making and selling a few million bullets you see alot of internet and "my granfather" lore fall apart.

Also after hundreds of hours of reading and knowing why bullets lead and when you see it to determine what causes it you can gain a great ability to stop it.

But making and shooting 100 a year just aint gonna get you there.

Also realizing and accepting that " your wrong" helps.

Quoted to mean not you personally but anyone personally including me.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Northampton County)

I can go as high as 1400fps with no leading. Fit is most important.

(Susquehanna County)

I don't reload for .44 Mag. But looking at your data I think I'd drop back to 9 grs. Unique 65 fps really isn't that much more but your gain in uniformity will make up for what you think you're losing on velocity.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I don't reload for .44 Mag. But looking at your data I think I'd drop back to 9 grs. Unique 65 fps really isn't that much more but your gain in uniformity will make up for what you think you're losing on velocity.
    If you plot it out (and I have) there is a flat spot between 9 & 10 grains. Unfortunately this experiment has been far from scientific. I started at 7 grains & went up[ to 11 by one grain increments. I captured velocity measurements anywhere from 4 to 10 rounds per charge (was learning how to use my Chrony & not all shots registered), which is way too low to draw any conclusions from, even though I am trying to do so. For the time being, I think that I will just load up a bunch at 9.5 gr. just for shooting practice.

Eventually, I will repeat this drill with at least 20 rounds per charge & weighing each charge (not using a volume drop). Unlike long range rifle (.308@1000 yds or 5.56@600 yds.), I do not think that the high ES is hurting me that much. Group size is a result of bad shooter more so than bad ammo...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    ...For the time being, I think that I will just load up a bunch at 9.5 gr. just for shooting practice...
    And there are two reasons I want a medium load & not a light one. Practice recoil management/follow through and I do not like light loads with Unique. Unique is a dirty powder and it seems like the lighter the load that the dirtier that it is.

How is 231 for light 240 gr. loads (900 FPS or so), or what other powders work well for light loads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast