On Sunday, I was at my local PGC Range shooting some guns for the upcoming bear/deer seasons. There is a group of about 5-6 guys that shoot there often and I'm acquainted with them. Good guys, never any problems.

Well, as I was shooting my Enfield .303 from a few benches away I hear a LOUD bang! I heard one of the guys asking another shooter is he was okay. I looked at his rifle and it pretty much blew apart. I checked his face, hoping not to see the worst; eye or facial damage. Luckily all he had was a cut on his nose, but his rifle was another story.

The guy was shooting a Remington 783 bolt rifle in .243.....a really beautiful rifle. He pulled the trigger and said he heard a "click". I had head the click, but just assumed he was doing a little dry firing. He thought perhaps that he had not cleared the previous shot and just pulled the trigger on an already fire case. So he ejected the empty case, chambered a fresh round.....and pulled the trigger!! Ka-boom!!!!

The click......was him pulling the trigger in a case without any powder. Yes, he reloads. Well, the primer lodged the bullet in the barrel. I'm guessing he didn't hear the primer go off. So, when he chambered and fired the new round, that bullet struck the one already in the barrel, causing the stock to explode, the bottom of the rifle to blow out and the rear of the bolt to fly off.