Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Pennsylvania law tries to cut electricity usage

Original Article
    By MARC LEVY, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Oct 16, 5:28 AM ET

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Pennsylvania has begun a major effort to cut electricity use, requiring the state's 11 utilities to not only stop power usage from rising, but to cut it starting in 2011.

Legislation that Gov. Ed Rendell signed Wednesday requires the utilities to cut annual electricity usage by at least 1 percent by May 31, 2011, based on usage estimates made by state regulators, who can take into account a major anomaly, such as an unusually hot summer or a substantial surge in demand from a new user, such as a factory.

To ensure that utilities take the task seriously, the new law allows up to $20 million in penalties for failure to meet the benchmarks for electricity usage cuts.

"That certainly should get the companies to look at what's been going on around the country and adopt some of the more successful programs," said Sonny Popowsky, the state's utility consumer advocate and a supporter of the new law.

Utilities will have to find ways to get people and businesses to use less electricity on the hottest summer days, when electricity is the most expensive. That could include enrolling the owners of homes and office buildings in a program to temporarily switch off hot water heaters or air conditioners.

To cut electricity usage at all other times, utilities will have to get more fluorescent lamps into light sockets to replace less efficient incandescent bulbs.

They will have to figure out how to entice people to insulate their homes to save electric heat and replace old, energy-sucking refrigerators and other appliances with newer, more efficient models.

Electricity usage in the Pennsylvania and the United States grows at a rate of about 1 percent to 2 percent annually.

By May 31, 2013, utilities have to cut usage by at least 3 percent, as well as slash 4.5 percent from electricity usage during the 100 highest-use hours of the year.

Utilities said they are still in the early stages of developing proposals for how they will approach the mandate and did not want to speak about their specific plans.

They acknowledge that the law will force them to adopt new usage-reduction tactics beyond a raft of education programs they have, including Web sites that dissect each residential customer's electric usage and how to reduce it.

"It's a big number. It's going to take some changes in terms of what we do and what we've done in the past, but it's not an insurmountable number," said Scott Surgeoner, a spokesman for FirstEnergy Corp., the Ohio-based power company that owns Pennsylvania Electric Co., Pennsylvania Power Co. and Metropolitan Edison Co.

By July 1, each utility must file a plan with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission to achieve the cuts. The commission must hold a public hearing on each plan and has about four months to approve or reject them.

The electricity conservation efforts will be expensive, and utilities can bill rate payers for that cost, up to 2 percent of their revenue from 2006. Utilities must be able to show that savings from the plans will pay their own cost — at least — within 15 years.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Pennsylvania law tries to cut electricity usage

Anyone else going to go buy a bunch of incandescent bulbs and replace the fluorescent bulbs? I think I may even go turn on my AC and just let the fan run continuously. FFS what gives these pinheads the idea that they should legislate my personal consumption of ANY product?

(Allegheny County)

Well kiss any major manufacture from ever locating in Pennsylvania.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Anyone else going to go buy a bunch of incandescent bulbs and replace the fluorescent bulbs? I think I may even go turn on my AC and just let the fan run continuously. FFS what gives these pinheads the idea that they should legislate my personal consumption of ANY product?
    Join me in purchasing several cans of aerosol products, you know, the harmful ones, and releasing them into air to celebrate this new legislation.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Join me in purchasing several cans of aerosol products, you know, the harmful ones, and releasing them into air to celebrate this new legislation.
    I will one up you. While discharging them I will turn them into flame throwers. Thus increasing my carbon footprint while letting the aerosol into the air. How about buying some oil and just burning it too?

(Susquehanna County)

I will one up you. While discharging them I will turn them into flame throwers. Thus increasing my carbon footprint while letting the aerosol into the air. How about buying some oil and just burning it too?

LOL I have some old (freon) freezers.

(Allegheny County)

wait...lemme get this straight...

now, not only is big brother going to (continue to) tell me how to live my life, but he is also going to force companies to tell me how to live my life...and punish the companies if i don't listen to them.

yeah...that sounds just dandy.

good frickin' grief.

someone in the brain-wiring department needs to lose their job...'cause there seem to be a whole lot of brains out there with faulty circuitry.

(Philadelphia County)

That's just beautiful.

Lets also, at the same time, club baby-seals, to complete the trifecta.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    That's just beautiful.

Lets also, at the same time, club baby-seals, to complete the trifecta.
    You forget that you also need to be cutting down redwoods to ensure that those pesky owls have no place to live...
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

I'll be hand feeding Condors lead bullets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast