Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default NFA Pittsburgh Fingerprints, CLEO Notification, & Engraving.

Who does fingerprints around the Pittsburgh area? If so do they have cards there or should I get some first?

Who does NFA compliant engraving?

Also for CLEO should I use my township sheriff or Allegheny county sheriff?
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: NFA Pittsburgh Fingerprints, CLEO Notification, & Engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Who does fingerprints around the Pittsburgh area? If so do they have cards there or should I get some first?

I’m not sure what part of town you are in, but for me getting fingerprinted was the biggest PITA of this process. I have had three sets done now all for suppressor purchases, so I can’t really comment on who does engraving.

As far as fingerprints, I am always out in Westmoreland County, I just had the Sheriff’s office do it at the Courthouse where you go to renew or get a LTCF. They charge $5 per card, so $10 at a minimum but I always try to get one or two extra in the event BATF would kick the card back for some reason. They still do to ink and roll. They do not have the cards that you need though, so I would get them in advance no matter where you go for prints. For my middle purchase, I used the IdentiGo service in E.Pittsburgh at a Farmers Insurance agent’s office. I think it’s Gazdik Agency. They do have limited hours though, and I needed to provide the cards for them as well. They were pricey, at $20 for the first card and $5 or $10 for each additional copy. They use the new digital printing technology, so no ink and no mess. It would be nice if I could capture the prints on a thumb drive and just print copies as needed, but no dice.

You can get free fingerprint cards from the BATFE, just on their website you can go on and order them. You can specify the quantity you want, there’s no charge, and they mail them to you free as well. Guys at Ace also told me they refer customers to the Wash Co. municipal building, apparently there is a booking desk there that can print you too. I had at one point gone into the UPS store in Oakland on Pitt’s campus, but they wanted $80 to do prints. They looked all butt hurt when I told them they were f$$&@ing crazy. I guess they rape students and foreigners that don’t know where else to go to get prints for licenses and clearance applications.

If you are going to the Group Shoot this Saturday, I can cover you with cards, I just got 20 from BATFE and I’m sure I can spare a few.

And I use my municipal police chief for notification.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    I’m not sure what part of town you are in, but for me getting fingerprinted was the biggest PITA of this process. I have had three sets done now all for suppressor purchases, so I can’t really comment on who does engraving.

As far as fingerprints, I am always out in Westmoreland County, I just had the Sheriff’s office do it at the Courthouse where you go to renew or get a LTCF. They charge $5 per card, so $10 at a minimum but I always try to get one or two extra in the event BATF would kick the card back for some reason. They still do to ink and roll. They do not have the cards that you need though, so I would get them in advance no matter where you go for prints. For my middle purchase, I used the IdentiGo service in E.Pittsburgh at a Farmers Insurance agent’s office. I think it’s Gazdik Agency. They do have limited hours though, and I needed to provide the cards for them as well. They were pricey, at $20 for the first card and $5 or $10 for each additional copy. They use the new digital printing technology, so no ink and no mess. It would be nice if I could capture the prints on a thumb drive and just print copies as needed, but no dice.

You can get free fingerprint cards from the BATFE, just on their website you can go on and order them. You can specify the quantity you want, there’s no charge, and they mail them to you free as well. Guys at Ace also told me they refer customers to the Wash Co. municipal building, apparently there is a booking desk there that can print you too. I had at one point gone into the UPS store in Oakland on Pitt’s campus, but they wanted $80 to do prints. They looked all butt hurt when I told them they were f$$&@ing crazy. I guess they rape students and foreigners that don’t know where else to go to get prints for licenses and clearance applications.

If you are going to the Group Shoot this Saturday, I can cover you with cards, I just got 20 from BATFE and I’m sure I can spare a few.

And I use my municipal police chief for notification.
    I live a little north east of the city.

Thanks for the info.

I just put in an order for some cards as it seems I will need those no matter what.

I'll give the township and county police offices a call and see if they will do the fingerprinting. If not I'll go the Identogo route. I work second shift so doing this stuff during normal business hours is not an issue.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

You can do your own if you want. I did mine, they look pretty good.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

My township PD had done my fingerprints the first time around. I used my township PD for the CLEO signoff (back when it was a signoff) as well. I bought my own cards with me. I used General Manufacturing in Bethel Park for engraving.

The second time around, my FFL did my fingerprints (CDS Arms, he's not too far from PMSC). He also helped with my first form 1. Awesome guy.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    My township PD had done my fingerprints the first time around. I used my township PD for the CLEO signoff (back when it was a signoff) as well. I bought my own cards with me. I used General Manufacturing in Bethel Park for engraving.

The second time around, my FFL did my fingerprints (CDS Arms, he's not too far from PMSC). He also helped with my first form 1. Awesome guy.
    Another plug for CDS Arms. They helped us out A LOT when we first got started as a 07/02 FFL/SOT. Great bunch of guys who are willing to help and explain things to a new NFA buyer.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Jefferson County)

Prints don't need to be taken by LEO anymore?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

The UPS Store on McKnight Road does them. I order my cards from the ATF and get them done at UPS.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Prints don't need to be taken by LEO anymore?
    Prints never needed to be taken by LE, unless youre dealing with the Explosives licensing part of the BATF&E

(Allegheny County)

I setup an account with Silencer Shop, and ordered two of their finger print packets since my wife is also on my trust. Once those came in, I took them to my township PD, had them filled out, and returned to Silencer Shop to add to my profile. Now, if I order a suppressor from them, my fingerprints/photo is already on file, and I don't have to do anything. When I did my form 1s a couple of months ago, I was able to call them up and order copies of my fingerprints to submit to the ATF. They charge $15 a set, but that was worth it for me to not have to take time out of my day to have them done again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast