Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Talk

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Shop Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    ~snip~ funny story
    Noah
    LOL that's awesome.

Too bad your not local OP. Great thing about being a home based dealer- you bring the cigar- I can find time to BS.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; October 17th, 2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've stopped in gun shops where there are "regulars" standing/sitting around and bullshitting. It can get a little annoying when the "Klingons" (cling-ons) who are the bigger nibshits start asking where I'm from, what do I shoot, what am I looking for, etc.

It jumps to REALLY annoying when the nosiest Klingon(s) puts his unsolicited two cents in when I ask if I can examine a particular firearm, proclaiming that it's a poor choice, and if it was him, he'd buy a <whatever he recently bought>.

True story: That exact situation occurred maybe 10 or so years ago when I spotted an East German Makarov with a tag saying "$150; as-is" in a used gun display and asked to see it. "Those Commie pistols are good for nothing; you want a Walther PPK 380 if you need something that small . . ." said the Klingon. He continued to run his mouth talking shit on "Commie junk" while I looked it over with my pocket flashlight.

When I asked the counterman why the "as-is", the counterman said the previous owner said it wouldn't cycle properly 100% of the time and traded it toward a P3AT. The store owner didn't want to invest the $$$ to fix it, so it's as-is, no warranty, sale final. Counterman said if it worked right, it would be a $450 gun all day, with black EG holster and four mags. I said I'd take it and handed the counterman a copy of my C&R. While the counterman went for a copy of the store license, the Big Mouth Klingon told me I was making a mistake. I cycled the slide by hand a few times with some difficulty, and at one point the slide hanged up for a second before sliding forward.

When another Klingon came in, the first told him all about my big mistake. I paid for it and got ready to leave when the Klingon asked, "I bet your next stop is a gunsmith (har har)". I removed the empty magazine and handed him the EG Mak, saying, "Try the slide; tell me if there's a problem" while looking at him with a flat-eyed stare. He cycled the slide several times and it hung once for him, too. "I told you it was messed up," he said, handing it back.

Not breaking eye contact, I dropped the trigger guard and pushed it to one side so the frame held it open, pulled back the slide and lifted it up at the rear, then eased it forward off the barrel. I slipped the recoil spring easily off the barrel, flipped it around so that the tight end went on first, replaced the slide, returned the trigger guard to its closed position, and handed it back to him. "Try it now," I said. He took it, glancing from me to the Mak and back. He cycled the slide a few times and you could hear the difference; the slide slammed forward smartly with a loud SNAP. "Seems better," he said a little quieter, handing it back.

"Good," I said, "I'll take your word for it." And bid everyone a nice day. As I reached the door I heard the counterman say, "Pretty sure (the store owner) just had $300 walk out the door."

Noah
    The store owner needs to tell that buffoon to stop talking to other customers or leave for good. He's working against the owner with his crappy attitude , going to cost him sales.

Geesh.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lehigh County)

Some one needs to open a Gun Smiths Bar for shop talk

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    Some one needs to open a Gun Smiths Bar for shop talk
    That just gave me a thought, open a place for people to bring their guns to clean/lube/troubleshoot, etc (especially for those that have wives/significant others that don't like the smells of guns being cleaned.) Rent out/sell cleaning rods, brushes, solvent, oils etc, and as an added thing maybe a small charge for a before, during and/or after inspection. For people that are new to firearms, a inexpensive class on how to properly clean guns and how to take them apart to do the job right. Unless you are going to do repairs on site or sell guns, you wouldn't need a FFL. Might even sell snacks (remember the sandwich ovens?) and soft drinks (I'd stay away from alcohol for liability reasons).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Washington County)

I can't tell you the last time I overheard a gun store conversation I wanted to be a part of. The majority of gun store owners I know are not into mechanics. They are into business and making money. The majority of customers have no clue how their car or gun works and can't talk mechanics.

It has taken me a long time to find people who actually want to talk gun building and gun mechanics.

I suggest you download a podcast ap to your phone and give these podcasts a listen (or listen at the links below). These are just the first three "gun nerd" podcasts from Primary & Secondary (I think they have 15 now) and some of the podcasts not labeled as gun nerd can get pretty technical. These podcasts are LONG and I usually listen to them while working in the garage or driving. The conversation can be aimless at times but there is a TON of cool info in these discussions.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mat...sts/e/50343198

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mat...sts/e/49987089

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mat...sts/e/50136917
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

A few years ago I stopped into a sporting goods/hardware store in south Jersey for some fishing tackle. While there, the guns pulled me to them. Understand, this operation had been around a few years. ACP was mentioned by someone, and the guy behind the counter asked what does ACP stand for (!). I told him/them automatic Colt pistol. He looked at me like he didn't believe it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Carbon County)

I had about the same thing happen to me at the range. Some off duty cops came on the range and asked what I was shooting. I said ".45 automatic". I started to get a lesson on automatic vrs. semiautomatic. I showed them the .45 ACP on the box and they just stared at me. I talk to people at the range, or when out hunting, but not much at shows or stores. These places seem to attract a whole lot of people that know a whole lot about nothing.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That just gave me a thought, open a place for people to bring their guns to clean/lube/troubleshoot, etc (especially for those that have wives/significant others that don't like the smells of guns being cleaned.) Rent out/sell cleaning rods, brushes, solvent, oils etc, and as an added thing maybe a small charge for a before, during and/or after inspection. For people that are new to firearms, a inexpensive class on how to properly clean guns and how to take them apart to do the job right. Unless you are going to do repairs on site or sell guns, you wouldn't need a FFL. Might even sell snacks (remember the sandwich ovens?) and soft drinks (I'd stay away from alcohol for liability reasons).
    It would have more fights then chuck of the cheese. More arguments over how/what to clean then OC-VS .45

But really I offer a simple how to clean and preserve lessons to new shooters.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

Yes, OP.. Both Gunstores & especially Gunsmiths (shops), are NOT the place to try to “hang out”, like one of them! You see people like that, but the ones truly in conversation with the staff are most likely the invited ones. You don’t invite yourself!

OP, I was like you. I was a career auto tech. Master tech. But after some trouble in my life & an injury, I stopped wrenchin’ and switched to the firearms business. I couldn’t stand people that would come in and act like we were friends because I sold them a gun the other week! Jeez! Honestly, I was there to do a job..just as I was as an Auto Tech. And what I found is that it was the new guys who wanted to hang around and beat my ear off...trying to convince me of “how much” they knew! When in reality they were really looking for something. Free this I’d that..free range time...”ah, Hey Dave! What’s up bro! Hey its cool if we squeeze a 3rd person in our lane, right bud!?” UHHHHH... Nope! Sorry..bro!

Sorry to be harsh sounding. But I’m simply saying what everyone in the business is thinking.

Now, fast forward to NOW. I’m actually disabled, but I love guns more than ever. I’m a Gunsmith, a builder, & machinist..and love “talking shop” about everything firearms now. So that’s your best bet OP. You need to come out to the shoots and get togethers. Find guys like ME in your area and start some conversations. I have all the time in world now. I can talk about guns for HOURS! And I have 20 years of information that I love to pass on! I even do free things for friends..trigger jobs and what not. Just how the cycle goes I guess.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12