Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Talk

(Northampton County)

Default Shop Talk

Good day people,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I'm probably not your typical gun owner, I spent many years as an auto mechanic, which of course influences my interest in guns, the mechanics of them, etc. I'm one of those people that enjoy cleaning my guns as much as I like shooting them, maybe even a little more.
    I'm from the Easton area and I was wondering if anyone knows of any gun-smiting shops where you can stop in for a visit, bullshit gun mechanics, you know have a conversation, meet people, etc. I would love to talk to other gun builders, exchange ideas and what not, but in a live setting.

Just throwing the question out there,

Thanks,
    HS
    Last edited by Homeslice365; October 16th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Shop Talk

OK believe it or not I'm not trying to be a dick with this answer-
    But they are as likely to want to do this as if I stopped in a your shop, kept you from working on a car to talk "cars" with you and others while milling around your bay.

But Welcome= post in the intro thread, read the stickies on the top of each forum section, post in the correct section, always list a price in classifies, pics always helps. Also don't feed the FREE after midnight but do bring a carrot for Streakers horses.
    There are meets and shooting events that would be what your looking for. Or post up a meet and eat at like Diner 248.

If you have a specific question we should have an answer or point you towards it.

ok Homeslice?
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; October 16th, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

IDK but th e speed at which they seem to get the work out leads me to believe they are chatting with someone. Might as well be homeslice.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I hear shop talk in just about ever gun shop I go into. Maybe not about how to glass bed a stock or something like that. Almost every shop has that one old guy who know his stuff. Find your local shop who has one and you will have it made.

Don't go to Cabela's for that kind of talk. You will wind up getting a lesson in exploding bullets and other such lies.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Northampton County)

Might as well be Homeslice! I like you already. :-)

No offense taken to other reply. I know people are working, and I certainly don't want to invade someone's place of business with my nonsense. Just wondering if people get together and talk, other than picking up shells together at the range or occasionally through a screen.

HS

(Berks County)

Yes we do. Right here infact.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Northampton County)

Personally, I've always enjoyed a small shop where you could hang with the guys and talk guns. If you hang long enough you eventually buy a gun.

I think it's a matter of how big/busy the shop is but if there is space, somebody is usually hanging around willing to shoot the breeze. It generally isn't the gunsmith though, he's busy making money. But the counter guy? What else does he get paid for but to talk to potential customers. And if he's good, he learns how to feed your habit.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Personally, I've always enjoyed a small shop where you could hang with the guys and talk guns. If you hang long enough you eventually buy a gun.
    I've been in a few shops where people just hang out and shoot the shit. In every single instance, the clerks completely ignored anyone they didn't know.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Elk County)

I've stopped in gun shops where there are "regulars" standing/sitting around and bullshitting. It can get a little annoying when the "Klingons" (cling-ons) who are the bigger nibshits start asking where I'm from, what do I shoot, what am I looking for, etc.

It jumps to REALLY annoying when the nosiest Klingon(s) puts his unsolicited two cents in when I ask if I can examine a particular firearm, proclaiming that it's a poor choice, and if it was him, he'd buy a <whatever he recently bought>.

True story: That exact situation occurred maybe 10 or so years ago when I spotted an East German Makarov with a tag saying "$150; as-is" in a used gun display and asked to see it. "Those Commie pistols are good for nothing; you want a Walther PPK 380 if you need something that small . . ." said the Klingon. He continued to run his mouth talking shit on "Commie junk" while I looked it over with my pocket flashlight.

When I asked the counterman why the "as-is", the counterman said the previous owner said it wouldn't cycle properly 100% of the time and traded it toward a P3AT. The store owner didn't want to invest the $$$ to fix it, so it's as-is, no warranty, sale final. Counterman said if it worked right, it would be a $450 gun all day, with black EG holster and four mags. I said I'd take it and handed the counterman a copy of my C&R. While the counterman went for a copy of the store license, the Big Mouth Klingon told me I was making a mistake. I cycled the slide by hand a few times with some difficulty, and at one point the slide hanged up for a second before sliding forward.

When another Klingon came in, the first told him all about my big mistake. I paid for it and got ready to leave when the Klingon asked, "I bet your next stop is a gunsmith (har har)". I removed the empty magazine and handed him the EG Mak, saying, "Try the slide; tell me if there's a problem" while looking at him with a flat-eyed stare. He cycled the slide several times and it hung once for him, too. "I told you it was messed up," he said, handing it back.

Not breaking eye contact, I dropped the trigger guard and pushed it to one side so the frame held it open, pulled back the slide and lifted it up at the rear, then eased it forward off the barrel. I slipped the recoil spring easily off the barrel, flipped it around so that the tight end went on first, replaced the slide, returned the trigger guard to its closed position, and handed it back to him. "Try it now," I said. He took it, glancing from me to the Mak and back. He cycled the slide a few times and you could hear the difference; the slide slammed forward smartly with a loud SNAP. "Seems better," he said a little quieter, handing it back.

"Good," I said, "I'll take your word for it." And bid everyone a nice day. As I reached the door I heard the counterman say, "Pretty sure (the store owner) just had $300 walk out the door."

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; October 16th, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Luzerne County)

Noah I might have just told the counterman thanks, but the Klingon just list him a sake and walked.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast