Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Company email: Workplace Violence Acive Shooter Training

If you're a gun guy, a concealed carrier, former / current military, or any number of other backgrounds it is hard to understand the concept of hiding in a closet or under a desk while a shooter is stalking through your workplace picking off coworkers. However, your employer has to make some attempt to educate and protect the work force. I've developed several active shooter plans for military units and gov offices but the difference there is a room full of Army Soldiers aren't as hesitant to rush a shooter trying to overwhelm him. Civilians are a different story. People will die during an active shooter event but the shooters overwhelmingly rely on their victims to be so scared all they're capable of is cowering in a corner and begging for their lives to be spared. Most shooters are not prepared for resistance. The average shooting lasts less than 6 minutes. A little preparation will increase your odds of buying time until the shooter runs out of ammo, assistance arrives,

There are other things to consider that your employer won't consider or tell you unless they have someone well trained. How many can actually fit in the closet you're told to hide in (remember the fastest guy gets first dibs), are your office doors reinforced and do they have glass that can easily be broken to allow a shooter to unlock the door, etc.

On a personal end, assuming your employer does not allow firearms, what can you do to protect yourself? Is your work area immediately inside the door (are you the first target)? Can your office or work space be locked? Do you have anything that can be used as a weapon? I won a baseball bat at a Pirates game raffle a few years ago signed by Andrew McCutchen. It hangs on my office wall. I'm not allowed to have a weapon at work but memorabilia is ok. Most see the bat as nothing more than a sign of my being a Pirates fan. You can read between the lines and see a dual purpose. Is it a replacement for a self defense firearm? Hell no, but it's better than thinking I'm going to be able to effectively swing an office chair. It's also my breaching plan if I have to break glass and jump from my second floor window. Sometimes you just have to think/plan outside the box and be a little smarter than you employer.

(Erie County)

So no employer gives their employees a bag of rocks?

I thought this went over well at some public schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lancaster County)

Build a makeshift claymore mine out of powdered coffee creamer and a Bic lighter.

If that doesn't work, maybe make some kind of rudimentary lathe.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Build a makeshift claymore mine out of powdered coffee creamer and a Bic lighter.

That only works on Gorns.

I had a former brigade commander that had a Colt Walker in a framed display case on his desk. I'm pretty sure he kept it loaded. He would tell people it was a replica and the case didn't open without being dismantled but I saw him with it open a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

Or a Bucket of Rocks!

rolling_rock_bucket.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Bad form mixing Sci-Fi genres.......but great all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

We had 2 8oz cans of Beefaroni and a spray bottle of glass cleaner presented to us to use.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    If you're a gun guy, a concealed carrier, former / current military, or any number of other backgrounds it is hard to understand the concept of hiding in a closet or under a desk while a shooter is stalking through your workplace picking off coworkers. However, your employer has to make some attempt to educate and protect the work force. I've developed several active shooter plans for military units and gov offices but the difference there is a room full of Army Soldiers aren't as hesitant to rush a shooter trying to overwhelm him. Civilians are a different story. People will die during an active shooter event but the shooters overwhelmingly rely on their victims to be so scared all they're capable of is cowering in a corner and begging for their lives to be spared. Most shooters are not prepared for resistance. The average shooting lasts less than 6 minutes. A little preparation will increase your odds of buying time until the shooter runs out of ammo, assistance arrives,

There are other things to consider that your employer won't consider or tell you unless they have someone well trained. How many can actually fit in the closet you're told to hide in (remember the fastest guy gets first dibs), are your office doors reinforced and do they have glass that can easily be broken to allow a shooter to unlock the door, etc.

On a personal end, assuming your employer does not allow firearms, what can you do to protect yourself? Is your work area immediately inside the door (are you the first target)? Can your office or work space be locked? Do you have anything that can be used as a weapon? I won a baseball bat at a Pirates game raffle a few years ago signed by Andrew McCutchen. It hangs on my office wall. I'm not allowed to have a weapon at work but memorabilia is ok. Most see the bat as nothing more than a sign of my being a Pirates fan. You can read between the lines and see a dual purpose. Is it a replacement for a self defense firearm? Hell no, but it's better than thinking I'm going to be able to effectively swing an office chair. It's also my breaching plan if I have to break glass and jump from my second floor window. Sometimes you just have to think/plan outside the box and be a little smarter than you employer.
    The article below is not from The Onion, or other satirical source. :-)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/u...-shooting.html

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Wow, you have given me an extra tool. There's a baseball bat from the local minor league team on display in the meeting room on my floor that I will grab if anything goes down. Had not thought of it before.

Also, here's a resource I was given in a former training, the FBI's office plans for active shooter scenarios. PDF download:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...-2018.pdf/view
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast