Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Buying a handgun at 18-21

In PA, is it possible to purchase a handgun between the ages of 18 and 21 if you do so through a private transfer in a sheriff's office?

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed
    importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or
    transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only
    upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer,
    dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall
    follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the
    seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not
    apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a
    parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and
    grandchild.
    Since a sheriff isn't necessarily an FFL holder, would it still be illegal for them to transfer a handgun to someone who is 18-21?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Buying a handgun at 18-21

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Epii View Post
    In PA, is it possible to purchase a handgun between the ages of 18 and 21 if you do so through a private transfer in a sheriff's office?

Since a sheriff isn't necessarily an FFL holder, would it still be illegal for them to transfer a handgun to someone who is 18-21?
    You have to differentiate between a commercial/interstate transfer and a private/intrastate transfer.

In PA, handgun transfers are regulated by the state for both commercial and private. Federal law doesn't regulate private intrastate transfers. So, between private parties the transfer must take place at a FFL or sheriff. FFL's can only transfer to folks 21yo+. Sheriffs aren't limited to such, but no known sheriffs will facilitate such a transfer. Transfers in PA between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild aren't required to be formally transferred.

So, folks who are <21yo only have the options of either inheriting "firearms", having a "firearm" given/sold to them by a spouse, parent, or grandparent, or making a "firearm" from scratch.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 12th, 2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

from that the answer appears to be yes so long as it is intrastate, but finding a sheriff to do so is difficult/impossible

(Montgomery County)

from that the answer appears to be yes so long as it is intrastate, but finding a sheriff to do so is difficult/impossible
    Correct. So you are left waiting until 21, getting one via a transfer-exempt family member, or making one yourself.

Whatever path you choose, make sure you know the many many traps of handgun possession for those who aren't able to get a License to Carry Firearms (e.g. those under 21).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Correct. So you are left waiting until 21, getting one via a transfer-exempt family member, or making one yourself.

Whatever path you choose, make sure you know the many many traps of handgun possession for those who aren't able to get a License to Carry Firearms (e.g. those under 21).
    Yep. Thanks! I know about the risks, i'd only be using it as a range gun. Lotta handgun ranges in my area and im bored of my 10/22 being the only gun i can shoot because not many that allow any higher than the 22 out of a rifle.

Making it though, how would one go about that? Legally that is. I'd do it through the transfer exempt family member, but my mother is not pro-gun and my father doesnt want to start an argument.

(Lycoming County)

Yep. Thanks! I know about the risks, i'd only be using it as a range gun. Lotta handgun ranges in my area and im bored of my 10/22 being the only gun i can shoot because not many that allow any higher than the 22 out of a rifle.

Making it though, how would one go about that? Legally that is. I'd do it through the transfer exempt family member, but my mother is not pro-gun and my father doesnt want to start an argument.
    https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frames

Start with one of these kits and you finish milling out the lower. Everything else is just Glock parts, that you can easily buy online as well. Research some videos of people building them, it's not extremely difficult and can be done with basic tools.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    https://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frames

Start with one of these kits and you finish milling out the lower. Everything else is just Glock parts, that you can easily buy online as well. Research some videos of people building them, it's not extremely difficult and can be done with basic tools.
    Any laws that are relevant to know about with respect to building one?

(Lycoming County)

Any laws that are relevant to know about with respect to building one?
    Building specifically, not really. Carrying one can be problematic, since some leo think their is a "registry" that it should appear on, even though there isn't. Also it won't have a serial number, again it's not required too, but some leo could find a problem with that too. Since you won't be carrying this gun yet, those issues aren't as important and it is 100% legal to own and carry it. As long as your making it for your own use, all you have to do is build it and enjoy. There's debate on how you should mark it if you ever decide to sell it, but since it's your first handgun you may not ever want to sell it anyway. It's not really anymore problematic than owning any handgun under 21 really. Personally, I'd keep all the receipts from the build so you have proof you built it/own it just as a cya measure. Look around online and you can find tons of info on these type of builds. There's lots of members here who have built these kits as well. You might want to try and start another thread here as well as specifically on building one. I'm sure you'll get responses from people who have done it. I haven't built one out yet myself.

Good luck. You seem like a pretty sharp kid.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Building specifically, not really. Carrying one can be problematic, since some leo think their is a "registry" that it should appear on, even though there isn't. Also it won't have a serial number, again it's not required too, but some leo could find a problem with that too. Since you won't be carrying this gun yet, those issues aren't as important and it is 100% legal to own and carry it. As long as your making it for your own use, all you have to do is build it and enjoy. There's debate on how you should mark it if you ever decide to sell it, but since it's your first handgun you may not ever want to sell it anyway. It's not really anymore problematic than owning any handgun under 21 really. Personally, I'd keep all the receipts from the build so you have proof you built it/own it just as a cya measure. Look around online and you can find tons of info on these type of builds. There's lots of members here who have built these kits as well. You might want to try and start another thread here as well as specifically on building one. I'm sure you'll get responses from people who have done it. I haven't built one out yet myself.

Good luck. You seem like a pretty sharp kid.
    The bad thing is, it may become a Catch 22 situation - if the police confiscate the handgun, they will likely want a background check performed on the owner if they have to give it back. ...And that agency may use a FFL to do it, which then could not legally transfer the firearm back to the owner since he would be under 21yo.

I have heard of police agencies in PA using FFL's to do the background check on returns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast