Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: He sold illegal AR-15s. Feds let him go free to avoid hurting gun control efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    It seems to me that all it takes is for a company to make some AR uppers, put a serial number on it and start selling rifles with a registered upper. That should be legal since it now appears the BATF does not have the authority to define what the serial numbered part should be (by this lack of a ruling).

THEN they could sell complete unregistered / no serial numbered lowers as a parts kit for their legal rifles with the serial number on top. The lower would not be a firearm and no transfer or background check would be required. Its just parts for their registered upper. They could make a fortune and give the BATF fits.

Of course they will get hassled and eventually arrested. But if the above case is true they should get off if they had enough money left over to get a good lawyer. They complied with Federal law. Just not the BATF's interpretation of the law.

Gunlawyer?
    I'd rather they didn't do that. I'm not so sure milling an upper is as easy as a lower, but what do I know

*Can't we just be happy that they deemed the AR lower the registered part, and with one lower I can have any upper/caliber shipped right to my door
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; December 9th, 2019 at 08:26 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Default Re: He sold illegal AR-15s. Feds let him go free to avoid hurting gun control efforts

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I'd rather they didn't do that. I'm not so sure milling an upper is as easy as a lower, but what do I know

*Can't we just be happy that they deemed the AR lower the registered part, and with one lower I can have any upper/caliber shipped right to my door
    I meant that most companies would still sell parts kits based on a registered lower like they do now........No changes

BUT, the new company could sell parts kits for their rifles that have a serialized upper. So their lower would not have to be registered or marked in any way and you could also get it shipped to your door.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    More inconsistencies. Ö. What about the whole HK series? I donít have one of those.

Stuart
    That's another can or worms. The serial is on the upper with the barrel and bolt, the fire control group including the hammer is removable underneath like a pinned lower. No big deal, that's the easy part.

The ATF screwed the pooch long ago when they determined that the only difference between a semi and full auto would be the welded shelf over the front pin that connects the lower half containing the fire control group. Generally speaking, an HK full auto bolt carrier is legal, as is an HK full auto fire control group, just don't try and fit the auto FCG in with the semi-auto shelf, that's an expensive court date!

**The above is a glossy overview. The intricacies of HK manufacture dates, registered parts, registered guns, and self/pin combos can get VERY complicated. Please consult a knowledgeable FFL before digging yourself a deep hole!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345