Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: First Pistol ....What and When ?

In 2005 I purchased a Taurus 608 SS8 .357 revolver shortly after I picked up a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 9mm. They were both great guns and I which I still had them both just because they were the start of a 14 year love affair with firearms.

(Montgomery County)

Dad bought me a 6" S&W 586 as a "you've got a home to defend now" gift.

Picked up a Charter J frame copy shortly after that, which sucked. Sold that, bought something else, repeat ad nauseum...

Still have the 586, it's a keeper.

(Allegheny County)

Just a few years ago, when I first moved to PA, I had gone to an LGS to get my first handgun in order to savor the lack of applying for a P2P. I had wanted an HK USP9, given my past experience of shooting one. The VP9 however, had just came out, and I begrudgingly bought it, a combination of the LGS having much higher pricing on the USP and all of the hype around the VP9.

Well, fast forward to today, that VP9 is mostly untouched, and I've since acquired 4 USPs. The VP9 has to be one of the most overhyped handguns of recent memory.

(Chester County)

In 1985, I bought my 1st pistol, a 4" S&W 586, new in box. I was 26 years old and ran into a tight financial situation about 3 years later and sold it, what a mistake. To this day the 586 is the only firearm I regret selling or trading. It looked just like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

As a kid my only exposure to firearms were bb guns (still have both eyes) and .22. The .22 came in two forms: Scouts where we fired them and my grandparents houses were .22s were kept loaded in the corner for varmits. Touching the grandparents .22 would have resulted in painful sitting for a day or two. Fast forward to 1992, I decided to purchase a pistol at age 37. I did my due diligence, rented a few then bought a Beretta 92 FS. I still have it though it's now a 92G. I still shoot it pretty well.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Dauphin County)

2015 - S&W SD9VE. If you want to learn to shoot the hard way, get this gun. Long and heavy trigger, some say is like shooting s DA revolver. But it was affordable and reliable. And I learned to shoot it well. Since then, I've grown to love M&P's. I sold the SD, but I miss it.

(Westmoreland County)

Growing up I had zero exposure to guns. For reasons I'll not go into here, found the need to investigate owning a gun for personal protection. A friend at work owned a Smith & Wesson 915 9mm pistol. I found the 909 model (thinner grip, maybe single stack) fit my hand better. So that was my first pistol. Found that I really enjoyed punching holes with it. Ended up having a broken extractor. Sent it back to Smith and they repaired it at no cost (maybe 1996ish?) but when it came back I was not sure I wanted to keep a gun that been repaired like that so I traded it at a gun show to a guy who had a very lightly used Glock 23c. Full disclosure, told him about the repair and had the Smith repair tag and all. I think he gave me $200 toward the Glock. I still have the G23c. Carry it all the time.

(Delaware County)

Ruger P-90. 1991
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Allegheny County)

2007 ish late 20's SD9VE. Mistake. Sold it later got a, M&P, later added Apex trigger and D/CAEK along with TruGlo TFX sights. Great gun now. However its currently taking a sideline to a Sig P226.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

First pistol was a Colt .22 ACE.

I didn’t buy it, my father gave it to me when I was...I dunno, young. Like, 8 or 9 or 10.

He engraved his SSN on the frame under where the grip goes. Kinda dumb, I know, but there it is. I think he used a Dremel or something.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast