Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Post Threading a 590 barrel?

Hey poofas. I recently acquired a like-new mossy 590a1 retrograde pump gun. It's fantastic, had it out at the range last weekend and man it's fun shredding paper with buckshot. However, I'd like to make it a little more versatile than a strictly HD gun and maybe bring it out to the trap range now and then. Problem there is it's a 20" cylinder bore.

Being a heavy barrel I'm sure there's enough meat there to thread it. My dilemma is, 1.do I want to modify a "special edition" gun potentially effecting the value, and 2. Who would I trust to do the work? Not super interested in shipping the barrel out somewhere not to see it again for 3 months.

Also I've heard rumor that the barrel in these can be swapped, but the mag tube needs to be also. Anyone with some good knowledge on the platform that can speak to that?

Thanks, and happy gunday to everyone.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Threading a 590 barrel?

I would just buy a dedicated trap gun. A used 500 or Maverick 88 isn't going to cost much more than the price of getting it threaded or getting a new barrel and mag tube.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I would just buy a dedicated trap gun. A used 500 or Maverick 88 isn't going to cost much more than the price of getting it threaded or getting a new barrel and mag tube.
    I'm dangerously close to needing a new safe already though!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    As a proud papa of a Mossberg 590, believe me, It is the wrong tool for the job when it comes to shooting trap.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    As a proud papa of a Mossberg 590, believe me, It is the wrong tool for the job when it comes to shooting trap.
    Ok vepr 12 it is then.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy View Post
    If your safe is too full, I could br persuaded to take that 590 off your hands.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Delaware County)

In fact, there may be some barrel interchangeability between the 590 and the 835. The OP's question intrigued me because I have been doing some barrel and stock swapping to set up some different LOPs and such without spending $1K or more on more sophisticated shotguns. As it turns out, I found this post on Mossbergowners.com:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/inde...ngability.773/

The fifth post in the thread gives a rundown on a bunch of possible interchanges. In the OP's case, the cap type 835 barrel may fit without further surgery depending on the mag capacity; the 28" turkey barrel with accumag chokes can make an OK trap set up. YMMV. Read the thread. If the OP can get away with a second barrel rather than threading a good heavy barrel, that should be cheaper and add versatility to the shotty.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Montgomery County)

The 20” barrel 590 has a longer mag tube than the 835 barrels will accommodate. If it was an 18.5” 590, swap away. Plus, if it’s a ghost ring sight model, you’ll want to remove the rear sight when using a traditional shotgun barrel.

I'd say check gunbroker for a used barrel or parts kit, and not modify your barrel. You could have a gunsmith move the ring on a 835 to match your mag tube. I had a 500 with the long mag tube and had a standard barrel fitted to it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    In fact, there may be some barrel interchangeability between the 590 and the 835. The OP's question intrigued me because I have been doing some barrel and stock swapping to set up some different LOPs and such without spending $1K or more on more sophisticated shotguns. As it turns out, I found this post on Mossbergowners.com:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/inde...ngability.773/

The fifth post in the thread gives a rundown on a bunch of possible interchanges. In the OP's case, the cap type 835 barrel may fit without further surgery depending on the mag capacity; the 28" turkey barrel with accumag chokes can make an OK trap set up. YMMV. Read the thread. If the OP can get away with a second barrel rather than threading a good heavy barrel, that should be cheaper and add versatility to the shotty.
    Hey, thanks for the info and leads. Doing some more reading it does sound like for the investment required to make it work I'd be better off just finding a used, or possibly even new trap gun and leaving the a1 alone. The big hangup in the 835 barrel is the short mag tube, and by the time I source the barrel at $200+ then either have it modified or replace the mag tube with a 5 shot, I'll be approaching or topping $300 and still have to pull the rear sight. Guess it's time to start safe shopping as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast