Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Question About Buying A Long Gun In PA

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Last time I checked the “left” wanted universal AKA mandatory background checks, no LTCF’s, no private transfers of any type including wills, and only the government to have Guns.

If one requires a bill of sale, ltcf, or DL for a face to face private transfer for their own peace of mind or to cover their asse's down the line then it's their prerogative.

The buyer always has the freedom not to buy the item in question if they do not like it.
    Not everyone wants/needs a LTCF, so that limits sellers.......

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Not everyone wants/needs a LTCF, so that limits sellers.......
    Sure does just like 01 FFL's who sell surplus and collectables, but won't deal with C&R FFL holders. At the end of the day it's their choice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    So why not ask to see a driver's license? Why the LTCF? What's the purpose of requiring that license? Does it mean that someone without the LTCF is somehow a second class citizen? Remember, this is the Conservative gun owner requiring this. Not a Liberal government.
    Simple first as a responsible person who doesn't know who they are dealing with this helps remove a great deal of reasonable doubt as to whether or not the person is both a PA resident and legally able to own a firearm, a Drivers license does not guarantee that said person still resides in PA. There are several ways to move to another state and then not turn in your old license for example just take a new test and say you don't have one or even tell them you don't have your old one. Either way it at least removes doubt in the event said person is a liar you can at least with certainty state you did everything reasonable to verify on your part the the person was a legal resident and also not prohibited (which several people have stated already)

It also helps support that the transaction to your knowledge was OK to proceed with. The last thing I need is some yahoo buying a rifle and going on a spree even worse an undercover agent trying to set my happy ass up.

Second as responsible firearm owners and people who want less govt. interaction we are and should be capable of policing ourselves, this includes making sure I am dealing with another law abiding responsible citizen within reason of the law.

Finally if one does not wish to engage in said sale because someone is doing their due diligence they are more than welcome to move on. I don't personally keep any information and in my interactions I have had one person have me sign a bill of sale which I am perfectly fine with as I am also fine with showing my ltcf. So it's not an issue of any Draconian strange PA law it's what we, for the majority of us anyway, call responsible firearm ownership while doing things that prevent the govt from becoming more involved by policing ourselves and being responsible for ourselves.
    Last edited by HKusp 45; October 4th, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

I'm not trolling anyone. I just find it very interesting that I have the ability to buy a long gun from someone in Maryland without tethering more so than some self imposed demilaw in PA. Seems like PA is going left in a heart beat. I've got 2 sons that live in PA, so I do have a dog in this fight, so to speak. I had thought about retiring from Maryland and living in PA. But with these self imposed rules, along with how Left the state government has gone, it's not likely I'll be moving there.

BTW, Gunlawyer has been wrong before and I suppose he'll be wrong a few more times in his life. You keep on giving the Left exactly what they can't get in Harrisburg. That'll so 'em. Since I NEVER mentioned anything about interstate purchases, he's off base to start with. Secondly, if some one who (for whatever reason) doesn't have an LTCF is prevented from exercising their 2A right, then by golly Gunlawyer sure showed them what the 2A is all about.

Keep giving, they'll keep on taking.
    You live in Maryland. You're trolling the PA classifieds, and complaining about some sellers asking for proof of (a) PA residence and (b) non-prohibition before selling a gun to a buyer.

Quite honestly, you sound like a pedophile complaining that the local school put up a tall solid fence, or a bank robber complaining about the new armed guard.

PA is a "shall-issue" state, there are about a million LTCF's for 12 million residents. Other than a few drug offenders, most folks who are eligible to even touch a gun are able to spend the $20 and get an LTCF for 5 years. Any serious gun owner should have an LTCF, because of all the legal protections it provides. And Maryland residents shouldn't be whining about Pennsylvania sellers taking steps that make it harder for a Maryland resident to break Federal law.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You live in Maryland. You're trolling the PA classifieds, and complaining about some sellers asking for proof of (a) PA residence and (b) non-prohibition before selling a gun to a buyer.

Quite honestly, you sound like a pedophile complaining that the local school put up a tall solid fence, or a bank robber complaining about the new armed guard.

PA is a "shall-issue" state, there are about a million LTCF's for 12 million residents. Other than a few drug offenders, most folks who are eligible to even touch a gun are able to spend the $20 and get an LTCF for 5 years. Any serious gun owner should have an LTCF, because of all the legal protections it provides. And Maryland residents shouldn't be whining about Pennsylvania sellers taking steps that make it harder for a Maryland resident to break Federal law.
    Yeah... stay classy PA. When you can't win a discussion with facts, just start with the personal attacks.

Who are you to tell any other citizen that they have to have an LTCF in order to transfer a firearm. Like I said, you guys are doing the work for the Liberal government.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

Why do you say I'm trolling? It just doesn't make sense that in the People Republic of Maryland, I can buy and sell a gun without needing a fellow gun owner telling me I need a license from the government before you will sell me a long gun. Can you not see the irony???

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    Simple first as a responsible person who doesn't know who they are dealing with this helps remove a great deal of reasonable doubt as to whether or not the person is both a PA resident and legally able to own a firearm, a Drivers license does not guarantee that said person still resides in PA. There are several ways to move to another state and then not turn in your old license for example just take a new test and say you don't have one or even tell them you don't have your old one. Either way it at least removes doubt in the event said person is a liar you can at least with certainty state you did everything reasonable to verify on your part the the person was a legal resident and also not prohibited (which several people have stated already)

It also helps support that the transaction to your knowledge was OK to proceed with. The last thing I need is some yahoo buying a rifle and going on a spree even worse an undercover agent trying to set my happy ass up.

Second as responsible firearm owners and people who want less govt. interaction we are and should be capable of policing ourselves, this includes making sure I am dealing with another law abiding responsible citizen within reason of the law.

Finally if one does not wish to engage in said sale because someone is doing their due diligence they are more than welcome to move on. I don't personally keep any information and in my interactions I have had one person have me sign a bill of sale which I am perfectly fine with as I am also fine with showing my ltcf. So it's not an issue of any Draconian strange PA law it's what we, for the majority of us anyway, call responsible firearm ownership while doing things that prevent the govt from becoming more involved by policing ourselves and being responsible for ourselves.
    I've heard of this disease. It's called BGOS.

(Montgomery County)

Showing a LTCF and mandatory government imposed restrictions are many miles apart.

I think this thread has run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Showing a LTCF and mandatory government imposed restrictions are many miles apart.

I think this thread has run its course.
    It's not as far down the road as you think.........

(Lycoming County)

So why not ask to see a driver's license? Why the LTCF? What's the purpose of requiring that license? Does it mean that someone without the LTCF is somehow a second class citizen? Remember, this is the Conservative gun owner requiring this. Not a Liberal government.
    No, but you passed a background check already to get the license. It's an assurance that your not prohibited. I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to sell to a felon if possible.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast