Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question About Buying A Long Gun In PA

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    Because it's not required by state law.
    Relax. I won't buy a long gun FTF using an FFL.

If a seller wants to see my PA DL or LTCF, I'll show them.
    I've sold rifles and not asked to see a damned thing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Schuylkill County)

Since I NEVER mentioned anything about interstate purchases, he's off base to start with.
    You did not say "interstate purchase" but the response was an answer as to why the LTCF is asked for. Nobody wants to get jammed up because some yahoo from Maryland or New Jersey wants to do a face to face transfer without providing proof of citizenship. He was not talking about you, just in general explaining how some people are being diligent about following the law.

(Cumberland County)

Only a foolish man wouldn't cya. It's not like a background check is being done or records being kept. Sold my share using this method and couldn't tell you who I sold them to.

(Lycoming County)

Seems like the Left has you doing for them what they can't get done with laws. Strangest thing I've ever seen.
    Bullshit

I've asked to see a ltcf before. The difference is I don't record it for posterity like the govt. Unless I know the person, I want to see something that says you live in this state at a minimum, since that covers my ass for the fed. I prefer a ltcf, since it makes a somewhat reasonable inference the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

Now the big difference is after I look at it, that's it. Something like UBC catalogs it. I don't generally sell much, but that's the way I've done it with anybody I didn't know previously. Now if you're somebody I know, I probably wouldn't check jack shit.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Bullshit

I've asked to see a ltcf before. The difference is I don't record it for posterity like the govt. Unless I know the person, I want to see something that says you live in this state at a minimum, since that covers my ass for the fed. I prefer a ltcf, since it makes a somewhat reasonable inference the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

Now the big difference is after I look at it, that's it. Something like UBC catalogs it. I don't generally sell much, but that's the way I've done it with anybody I didn't know previously. Now if you're somebody I know, I probably wouldn't check jack shit.
    So why not ask to see a driver's license? Why the LTCF? What's the purpose of requiring that license? Does it mean that someone without the LTCF is somehow a second class citizen? Remember, this is the Conservative gun owner requiring this. Not a Liberal government.

It’s like a lot of things in life. I don’t want to see a lot of things regulated by the government because I believe in citizens making their own choice. That does not mean I don’t see the logic behind certain things.

I don’t think firearms training should be mandatory and regulated by the government. But I still think it’s smart to train with your gun and learn how to shoot it. That’s my choice. It should not be the government choosing for me.

Same thing if I am selling a gun. I don’t think the government should require going through an ffl and registration. But I think a free citizen should be able to sell a gun how they see fit and within their comfort level. Not a comfort level determined by you, me or anyone else on the board or by the government. If I am selling a gun to a stranger my comfort level is I want to know they are not prohibited and not from another state. A ltcf helps ensure both. My comfort level would be different dealing with a friend, co worker or family member.

(Lehigh County)

So why not ask to see a driver's license? Why the LTCF? What's the purpose of requiring that license? Does it mean that someone without the LTCF is somehow a second class citizen? Remember, this is the Conservative gun owner requiring this. Not a Liberal government.
    My personal opinion is you are overthinking this. It is not a hard and fast rule, but it does make sense in a lot of cases. I have transferred long guns both ways, and it depends on my personal comfort level with who ever I am dealing with. There are jokers out there who are not residents and there are prohibited folks also who may respond to an ad, so asking for a LTCF does somewhat limit the audience, but it also provides a measure of assurance. It is not a value judgement beyond that.

Some times you can get a sense of the person you are dealing with just by the way they respond. If the hairs on the back of my neck are tickled, I will be more cautious than I might be otherwise. I don't want to find myself as a prohibited person and lose my rights for not being careful about who I choose to deal with. That is the bottom line for me.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

I'm not trolling anyone. I just find it very interesting that I have the ability to buy a long gun from someone in Maryland without tethering more so than some self imposed demilaw in PA. Seems like PA is going left in a heart beat. I've got 2 sons that live in PA, so I do have a dog in this fight, so to speak. I had thought about retiring from Maryland and living in PA. But with these self imposed rules, along with how Left the state government has gone, it's not likely I'll be moving there.

BTW, Gunlawyer has been wrong before and I suppose he'll be wrong a few more times in his life. You keep on giving the Left exactly what they can't get in Harrisburg. That'll so 'em. Since I NEVER mentioned anything about interstate purchases, he's off base to start with. Secondly, if some one who (for whatever reason) doesn't have an LTCF is prevented from exercising their 2A right, then by golly Gunlawyer sure showed them what the 2A is all about.

Keep giving, they'll keep on taking.
    With all due respect Mr. Smith, you live in one of the 5 worst states for firearm freedom in the United States if not any freedoms. It is also a state that has one of the most insane AR laws. Your firearm permitting process is all but non existent, and your local and state tax system is legendary. The Disney Corporation may be the only group of people better at separating you from your money than a politician from Maryland. My father in law lives there and would be gone if not for my mother in law refusing to leave her friends. She can't claim family, because they all fled, much like your children. Don't be afraid to move to Pennsylvania, it's an island of freedom surrounded by liberal insanity. You may be able to actually carry one of the firearms you own in public place, on your person and loaded and the license will cost you $20 for five years. Many county sheriffs will give it to you in minutes. Our shit hole called Philadelphia will give you one in 45 days. They don't want to, but we are a shall issue state and that is the maximum time they can drag it out. Here you will be able to buy a gun and take it home that day. You don't have to wait days or weeks, and get this... it doesn't have to be on list... you can also leave our state with an AR 15 and then bring it back to Pennsylvania... Mr Smith, you're welcome to move closer to your children and experience freedom. Then you can share our biggest fear, which is that the assholes that surround us keep moving to Pennsylvania and might outnumber us someday and actually get something changed. Move and spend more time with your kids and grand kids, your life will change dramatically for the better.
    Last edited by Big Kahuna 19547; October 4th, 2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

Last time I checked the “left” wanted universal AKA mandatory background checks, no LTCF’s, no private transfers of any type including wills, and only the government to have Guns.

If one requires a bill of sale, ltcf, or DL for a face to face private transfer for their own peace of mind or to cover their asse's down the line then it's their prerogative.

The buyer always has the freedom not to buy the item in question if they do not like it.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 4th, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast