Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Stolen pistol leads to reckless endangerment charge for Stamford man

"Under a new law that went into effect Oct. 1, Jerome was charged with a misdemeanor count of unsafe storage of a gun in a motor vehicle in addition to the reckless endangerment charge. The new law makes it a crime to store a gun in a locked car if it is not also put into a safe, locked in the glove box or stored in the car’s trunk."

"Any person who violates any provision of subsection (a) of this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor fora first offense and a class D felony for any subsequent offense"

"Connecticut requires any person who lawfully possesses a firearm that is lost or stolen to report the loss or theft to the organized local police department for the town in which the loss or theft occurred or, if the town does not have an organized local police department, to the state police troop having jurisdiction for the town, within 72 hours of when the person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft."

Bottomline, in CT, reporting of lost or stolen firearms is the law and punishable. The fellow followed the law and then was snared in the unattended firearm law requirements. Right, wrong, stupid laws.... this fellow may have just lost his right to ever possess a firearm unless he goes through extraordinary legal steps to get his rights back. Whenever I am in CT, I do not leave my firearm unattended.

My prediction is that CT will be used as a national model to infringe on legal arms owner's rights. Making criminals out of victims trying to do the right thing is how the right to bear arms will slowly be eroded over times.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Stolen pistol leads to reckless endangerment charge for Stamford man

.....sounds about right with the way that things are going.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    "Under a new law that went into effect Oct. 1, Jerome was charged with a misdemeanor count of unsafe storage of a gun in a motor vehicle in addition to the reckless endangerment charge. The new law makes it a crime to store a gun in a locked car if it is not also put into a safe, locked in the glove box or stored in the car’s trunk."

"Any person who violates any provision of subsection (a) of this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor fora first offense and a class D felony for any subsequent offense"

"Connecticut requires any person who lawfully possesses a firearm that is lost or stolen to report the loss or theft to the organized local police department for the town in which the loss or theft occurred or, if the town does not have an organized local police department, to the state police troop having jurisdiction for the town, within 72 hours of when the person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft."

Bottomline, in CT, reporting of lost or stolen firearms is the law and punishable. The fellow followed the law and then was snared in the unattended firearm law requirements. Right, wrong, stupid laws.... this fellow may have just lost his right to ever possess a firearm unless he goes through extraordinary legal steps to get his rights back. Whenever I am in CT, I do not leave my firearm unattended.

My prediction is that CT will be used as a national model to infringe on legal arms owner's rights. Making criminals out of victims trying to do the right thing is how the right to bear arms will slowly be eroded over times.
    If they are going to charge him with other crimes if he reports his stolen gun he has a defense under the 5th Amendment about self incrimination. Oh that's right, the Constitution is no longer in effect in Connecticut or anywhere else leftist make the laws.
    Last edited by JenniferG; October 7th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Perry County)

What he did was stupid. With that said, there are many things that could be crimes if stupidity is the bar. I had to take a report for a purse stolen from an open convertible. She left it on the passenger seat when she went into the store.

There is one overriding theme here. Taking what is not yours is a crime. Even a bundle of money dropped on a sidewalk can't be picked up and kept lawfully. It's bad form to penalize crime victims. It's bad law to make criminals of victims, regardless of their level of stupid.

I don't support any law that singles out gun owners because that particular item is more dangerous than another. You want to make a safe storage law, make it across the board. We'll define what is and isn't proper storage for anything and we'll arrest those that don't abide by those laws and subsequently report a theft. We'll do the same with mandatory reporting requirements. If you're the victim of a crime, you must report it. To do anything else is just harassment of a group that is constantly under attack already.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; October 7th, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

I like this to go the SCOTUS. When PA troopers pulled over a car for a traffic violation, the court stated they can not keep the car only enough time to deal only with traffic, broken tail etc. They can not bring a dog to check etc.

I don't believe the police had any right to go into the house, which had no bearing to the violation.

(Berks County)

Should I stop leaving a gun in my car so that when my car gets stolen they can charge the person with stealing a gun too?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    I don't believe the police had any right to go into the house, which had no bearing to the violation.
    It is entirely possible he consented to a search of the house. Do we have any evidence otherwise?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456