Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Stolen pistol leads to reckless endangerment charge for Stamford man

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.

While acknowledging that someone "breaking into" his car is unlawful (if opening an unlocked door can be considered "breaking". At what point would you fine folks like to make this guy be responsible for the dumbassery of leaving an unsecured handgun in an unlocked car?

At what point does it become criminal negligence? When he leaves the gun on the sidewalk?

Had he taken the three seconds required to secure it in the glove box, as unsecure as it is, he at least would have taken an affirmative step toward securing the gun.
    I'll take this one.

I would say that if he were to leave the gun "in plain sight" in the vehicle, then that would be where to draw the line. I still think it's bullshit, but that is my compromise position. If he puts it OUT of sight, whether it is in the glove box, console, under the seat, stuffed in the seat cushion, tucked up under the dash, etc., even if unlocked, and even if the car is unlocked, then, no, I don't think that is negligence. Why? Because LOCKS DON'T KEEP THIEVES FROM STEALING SHIT!

I think it is MUCH less unreasonable to leave a gun in your car in plain sight than it is to leave it out of slight but unlocked. And by taking the time to put it out of sight, he is taking an affirmative step to secure the gun - as unsecure as it may be.

I mean, what's next? "Well, yeah, you locked it, but your lock wasn't high-quality enough." ??

Now - as for your HOME?? Where you do not have children?? Then you should be able to leave your gun right there on your kitchen table if you want to, with no negligence issues at all, even if you don't lock your door (although I would say you have to at least SHUT the door). Your privacy and security expectations in your home are virtually absolute as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by free; October 4th, 2019 at 02:28 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stolen pistol leads to reckless endangerment charge for Stamford man

While acknowledging that someone "breaking into" his car is unlawful (if opening an unlocked door can be considered "breaking". At what point would you fine folks like to make this guy be responsible for the dumbassery of leaving an unsecured handgun in an unlocked car?

At what point does it become criminal negligence? When he leaves the gun on the sidewalk?

Had he taken the three seconds required to secure it in the glove box, as unsecure as it is, he at least would have taken an affirmative step toward securing the gun.
    Yes, no one here other than you has mentioned what a stupid asshole the guy was for leaving a gun in an unlocked vehicle. Bailiff, whack his pee pee.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

He was a dumbass for calling the police.

He was a dumbass for leaving his door unlocked as well, but he got what he deserves in that regard when the gun was stolen - he doesn't deserve to be charged with a crime.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Would the police charge someone with the same crime if they had an unsecured chainsaw stolen?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Would the police charge someone with the same crime if they had an unsecured chainsaw stolen?
    Would the police charge another officer if their department issue firearm was stolen?
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Hey! No Fair!! ^^^
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    Would the police charge another officer if their department issue firearm was stolen?
    Never happen, police aren't careless.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    So what gave them the right to enter the man's home and steal his property?
    The pending charges likely make him a prohibited person, at least temporarily, thus the "legal" basis for their actions.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

So we're all ok with the "she was asking for it because she dressed sexy" blame the victim type thinking now?

Josh Price nailed it at the hearing when he said these types of laws re-victimize the victim.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Erie County)

First degree douchebaggerie.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast