Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ppu 38 special ammo dirty

Has anybody else had issues with ppu ammo being extremely dirty? I shot about 50 rounds of 38 special and it was so dirty the cylinder almost wouldn't turn even while loading. http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-spe...partizan-ppr33

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ppu 38 special ammo dirty

This is a first, never had a issue.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Lead rounds will always smoke some compared with jacketed and some of the lube will splatter around the cylinder gap. After shooting hundreds of rounds you will also have a layer of wax to scrape off the frame by the barrel. But this is just regular cleaning while shooting lead.

No matter how filthy your ammo, a clean revolver will not gunk up to failure in 50 rounds. Sounds like it was due for a cleaning (and put some oil on the cylinder yoke)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Lead rounds will always smoke some compared with jacketed and some of the lube will splatter around the cylinder gap. After shooting hundreds of rounds you will also have a layer of wax to scrape off the frame by the barrel. But this is just regular cleaning while shooting lead.

No matter how filthy your ammo, a clean revolver will not gunk up to failure in 50 rounds. Sounds like it was due for a cleaning (and put some oil on the cylinder yoke)
    I've had the gun over 15yrs and have shot all manners of ammo from lead reloads to jacketed ammo, it probably had 100 rounds fired before those dirty 50. And this is the first I've ever had the cylinder so sluggish that it couldnt be fired in double action. I've have fired 200+ in a range trip beforewith no issues.

(Montgomery County)

Is it a .357 magnum? Shooting .38s in a .357 gets it dirtier in my experience.

(York County)

I've loaded my S&W model 64 with black powder handloads and gotten 100+ rounds through it before the fouling got bad enough to cause the cylinder to start dragging. Just saying...

I think Unique is a fairly dirty powder, but I've never fouled that particular revolver so bad that it didn't want to run no matter how many hundred rounds expended in a shooting session.