Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Black bear/ woods protection

Hey all,

I’m going camping a bunch in the next few moths and I’ve always used my gp100 with solid penetrating +p rounds. I’ve always felt comfortable Carrying it and felt it was adequate, I shoot it lights out and am. Dry comfortable with it. I’m planning a trip out west next spring (Montana, Idaho, and Washington state) odds of a grizzly sighting or encounter is minimal but I’d like to get a .44 mag, .454 or a 10mm. I’m trying to keep this under $500-$600 bucks. Never had a high powered handgun. Any specific models I should be looking into/ staying away from? Tanners has deals on raging bulls right now but I’ve never been a fan of Taurus revolvers. Ideally I’d like a 45-70 guide gun but backpacking with a rifle is a PITA, And I’d like a side arm any way to wear at camp. Any body have any thoughts?

P.S. this is 50% me wanting a hand canon/shoulder bruiser 50% actually concerned about grizzly’s.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Black bear/ woods protection

To me, as boring as they are, it seems like a G20 or G40 is a good balance for threats of both quadripedal and bipedal variety.

(disclaimer, I've not had to deal with either threat yet)

Contact the local Fish and Game warden and ask these questions. When My son went out to Montana camping I called the state and fed fish and game people and was give pretty good advice about what ot carry and what to be aware of. Mountain Lions were a bigger issue in the area we were going. Bear spray and a 9mm was all that was needed.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

If you are looking for a big bore revolver in the 500 to 600 range Taurus is about all you will find new.

My Raging Bull 454 has not had any issues. Granted it only has Hundreds of round thru it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Contact the local Fish and Game warden and ask these questions. When My son went out to Montana camping I called the state and fed fish and game people and was give pretty good advice about what ot carry and what to be aware of. Mountain Lions were a bigger issue in the area we were going. Bear spray and a 9mm was all that was needed.
    We’re going to the north west corner of Montana up near flathead and glacier. I’ll have to call fish and game and see what they say,
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Driswalds View Post
    If you are looking for a big bore revolver in the 500 to 600 range Taurus is about all you will find new.

My Raging Bull 454 has not had any issues. Granted it only has Hundreds of round thru it.
    Doesn’t need to be new, Id rather have a beat up quality firearm than a new cheesy one. Not going to be a show piece, going to be out in the weather when I’m backpacking and tossed around in my bag.

(Bucks County)

I’ve got several Taurus handguns. Never had a problem with any of them.

(Washington County)

If you can go $800 my Super Blackhawk Bisley 454 might be my favorite gun.
    https://grabagun.com/ruger-bisley-45...6-55sh-as.html

I've also got a Super Redhawk 454 that I found on gunbroker for $580 used without rings. It's in great shape for the money, but it isn't as handy as the Bisley and doesn't handle recoil near as well, even with the rubber stocks.

I'm currently infatuated with the Smith 329pd, 4" scandium 44 mag. They're supposedly a real bitch to shoot, but I can't be talked down from the edge. Price is definitely not within the specified range for either, still...

In that price range your're looking at a G20.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Having had a close encounter last year with this Cinnamon phase black bear, at 8 yds, my advice is, if all you have is bear spray and a 9, you will wish you had a big bore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PocketProtector; October 1st, 2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Chester County)

Look around for a used Ruger Alaskan? New they are a little pricey, but the size would be a great carry gun built for what you are doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast