Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Black bear/ woods protection

I wouldn't want a Taurus revolver on my side in big country... Would much prefer a Ruger big bore or Glock 20 (probably closest to your budget). But I don't see a huge issue carrying your .357 as well as spray.

(Bucks County)

Think I would want the longer barreled model too.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Good read on success rates for stopping bear attacks based on caliber. Short answer, what matters most is your ability to deploy it and hit the bear. Based on what I own, I’d go with a Glock 21 or my Ruger 44 with 5” barrel. Don’t think you’d want a long barrel hand cannon due to weight and draw. I’d also have a good think about holster, chest rig would be my preference so it’s on top of outer layer clothing and easily accessible.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz617uZp56o
    Last edited by Palerider; October 1st, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Check with the laws of the state(s) you're going to visit. Also you might want to consider a 12 ga throwing slugs or sabots.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

#1--NEVER trust your life to a Taurus.

#2--44Mag would be my choice in a revolver that you can practice with. Smith, Ruger, etc. Four inch barrel is all you need. The grips are critical for handling purposes. The holster ala Palerider above.

#3--Practice deploying and firing the gun with target loads AND finish up with the defense ammo that you will carry in the gun. Of course, Center of Mass.

Don't forget to carry some toilet paper in the event you have a successful encounter. Good luck out there.

Bob D

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Good read on success rates for stopping bear attacks based on caliber. Short answer, what matters most is your ability to deploy it and hit the bear. Based on what I own, I’d go with a Glock 21 or my Roger 44 with 5” barrel. Don’t think you’d want a long barrel hand cannon due to weight and draw. I’d also have a good think about holster, chest rig would be my preference so it’s on top of outer layer clothing and easily accessible.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz617uZp56o

Interesting read for sure. Thank you for the link.

As far as the gun goes I was trying to stay between a 4-6” barrel, I know you get better velocity out of them over a 2-3” barrel. And a shorter draw than an 8” barrel. As far as budget, I planned $600 for a firearm, $100-$150 for a chest rig or shoulder holster ( have to load my bag with gear and see where I think it will be best) and $200 for practice ammo and another $50-$60 bucks for some extreme penetrators or the like. So all in I’d be at a grand. But in the grand scheme if I bump up 100-200 extra for exactly what I want $1200 seems cheap for potentially saving my own life or one of my buddies lives.

Tanners has/had a nice S&W 629 I believe .44 magnum 4” barrel that looked pretty clean. Going to look into the super redhawk from Ruger, leaning more towards a revolver... I am going to do some 10mm ballistic research before I decide. It usually takes me a few months to buy anything anyway

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Check with the laws of the state(s) you're going to visit. Also you might want to consider a 12 ga throwing slugs or sabots.
    Montana and Idaho are a go for sure, gun laws and all. We will possibly be skipping over Washington state, seems there are tons of hoops to jump through, one of my buddy’s who I’m going with is looking into it more. I haven’t looked into Washington at all.

Back packing with a rifle is a PITA, this isn’t a hunting trip. It’s an exploratory adventure, even though I’m still considering bringing a longarm, I’d feel better in camp with a side arm on me at all times.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Montana and Idaho are a go for sure, gun laws and all. We will possibly be skipping over Washington state, seems there are tons of hoops to jump through, one of my buddy’s who I’m going with is looking into it more. I haven’t looked into Washington at all.

Back packing with a rifle is a PITA, this isn’t a hunting trip. It’s an exploratory adventure, even though I’m still considering bringing a longarm, I’d feel better in camp with a side arm on me at all times.
    Washington honors Utah non-resident permit. Utah also gives you Delaware since your in Montco that could come in handy.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Interesting read for sure. Thank you for the link.

As far as the gun goes I was trying to stay between a 4-6” barrel, I know you get better velocity out of them over a 2-3” barrel. And a shorter draw than an 8” barrel. As far as budget, I planned $600 for a firearm, $100-$150 for a chest rig or shoulder holster ( have to load my bag with gear and see where I think it will be best) and $200 for practice ammo and another $50-$60 bucks for some extreme penetrators or the like. So all in I’d be at a grand. But in the grand scheme if I bump up 100-200 extra for exactly what I want $1200 seems cheap for potentially saving my own life or one of my buddies lives.

Tanners has/had a nice S&W 629 I believe .44 magnum 4” barrel that looked pretty clean. Going to look into the super redhawk from Ruger, leaning more towards a revolver... I am going to do some 10mm ballistic research before I decide. It usually takes me a few months to buy anything anyway
    Can't go wrong w a super Redhawk in 44.... Also gives you the excuse to buy a 44 lever action down the road

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    If you can go $800 my Super Blackhawk Bisley 454 might be my favorite gun.
    https://grabagun.com/ruger-bisley-45...6-55sh-as.html

I've also got a Super Redhawk 454 that I found on gunbroker for $580 used without rings. It's in great shape for the money, but it isn't as handy as the Bisley and doesn't handle recoil near as well, even with the rubber stocks.

I'm currently infatuated with the Smith 329pd, 4" scandium 44 mag. They're supposedly a real bitch to shoot, but I can't be talked down from the edge. Price is definitely not within the specified range for either, still...
    I had the opportunity to shoot one of these a few years ago. Without a doubt the most vicious recoil that I have ever experienced in a handgun. I've also shot a Ruger Alaskan in .454 and the Smith was worse. It just snaps your wrist like nothing else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast