Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Wish the ring on a S&W cylinder didn't happen? It's a good thing.

Smith and Wesson double-action revolvers develop a drag mark on the cylinder soon after acquisition. Some mistakenly believe it is a sign that the gun needs adjusting. Some believe it can be corrected to avoid the ring but "live with it".

The cylinder stop (Colt calls it a bolt) drops down and away from the cylinder for a part of the cylinder's unlock followed by rotation for a portion of the advance to the next locked position, then springs back and rubs the cylinder, continuing to drag until it engages the next slot.

I recently acquired a 1970 model 15-3 that has indicators of having been fired very little, one being a barely discernible ring when I got it. Since then, the ring is more observable and complete, slot-to-slot, just from a short time on the range and from handling and dry firing.

Observing the timing, there should be a shorter drag mark and an area unmarked where the stop does not contact the cylinder during that port of the rotation. So what is lengthening the drag ring where no contact appears?

It occurs each time the cylinder is unlatched and closed and the cylinder turned to a locked position. The stop never lowers during latching/unlatching and manual indexing.

The drag ring is a trade-off for a timing mechanism that is very positive. Colt's double-action revolvers have mechanisms and timing that does not drag the bolt like S&W does. But when the Colt goes out of time, it can be very difficult to adjust.

Enjoy the ring.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Default Re: Wish the ring on a S&W cylinder didn't happen? It's a good thing.

Not much to do about nothing except visual of cyclinder.More noticeable on Blue Firearms as compared to Stainless Steel !

(Delaware County)

Never bothered me even a little bit, what's not to love?

Model 15-3 c.a. 1973

Regards,

Kobsw

(Lycoming County)

Nothing wrong with a little character, or a lot of character sometimes.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kobsw View Post
    Never bothered me even a little bit, what's not to love?

Model 15-3 c.a. 1973

Regards,

Kobsw
    Gorgeous!

(Philadelphia County)

Many years ago I turned down buying an estate sale Model 29 because I was told it was out of time because of that ring. Regret not going for it.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the responses. I have a question re the -3 on the model 15. I understand that it represents two changes....the dropping of the diamond on the grips in 1968, and a change to a screw design or location involving the rear sight. I haven't been able to find just what the screw change changed. Anyone? Thanks.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I have a question re the -3 on the model 15. I understand that it represents two changes....the dropping of the diamond on the grips in 1968, and a change to a screw design or location involving the rear sight. I haven't been able to find just what the screw change changed. Anyone? Thanks.
    I believe the distance from the end.

The cylinder stop should be broken on the leading edge so that it contacts just back from the edge. It the leading edge contacts the cylinder it scrapes the cylinder like a lathe tool. It’s the difference between a drawn line and a groove. It’s very little breaking of the edge, just a tiny shiny spot.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

So, it's the location of the screw in the rib ahead of the sight. Thanks.

This stop is edge-broken, on both sides. So far, the ring line is very narrow and relatively light. There was barely any line when I first got the gun. Almost looked like the original owner fired six, cleaned it, and put it away. The front of the cylinder had not been cleaned. Cleaning it was a breeze.

Sweet shooter. 2-1/2 lb trigger, trigger stop perfect. Had a few "surprise" trigger breaks on the range, while getting used to it.

The original matching # grips are safely stored, and the gun now wears a Hogue rubber grip.

I have seen a few S&W revolvers , worked over by some top notch pistolsmiths , that the bolt didn't snap up till it was almost in the little lead-in cut before the actual bolt cut.

Breaking/polishing the leading edge of the bolt with a fine white or black Arkansas stone will help matters for the rest of us. Doesn't take much. As long as there is no sharp edge.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!