Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Optic for Shotgun Deer Hunting

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a cantilever barrel for my 870 and am looking to put an optic on it. Where I hunt in 5D and 5C I will be in thicker brush about half the time and small fields the other half of the time. Most of the deer I have shot to this point in the area are under 50 yards due to the constraints of buckshot. I had 7 deer at the 100 yard mark last year and am ready to make that shot possible!

In any case, for those of you who have an optic on your shotguns, have you opted for a fixed power, low variable power, or some type of red dot? I am currently looking at the Leupold VX-Freedom and Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 which are both variable power since I don't know much about red dots. I have a fixed power Simmons on one of my muzzleloaders and after three years it now fogs ridiculously, so I may have prematurely counted them out of consideration. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

-Alex
    Opera Non Verba

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Optic for Shotgun Deer Hunting

I have a 30-30 carbine lever gun with a 16 1/2 inch barrel for the thick stuff and I put a 1x3 scope on it which allows both close and moderate shots up to 100 yards or so and provides a good aiming point. Higher magnification limits the usefulness at close ranges. The wide field if view of the low magnification scope does not do so.

Quicker than irons close up and bit of magnification for reaching out. Not for woodchucks at 300 yards...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Never cared for a red dot in a hunting situation .... maybe for turkeys on a scattergun ...... but have tried them before including on pistols and just not my thing in the woods.

I have a Nikon Slug Hunter on my 870. It has a nice long eye relief and a diamond shaped reticle. It is a 1.5-5 power. I have never turned it up much past 3. It has withstood years of 12 gauge slug recoil and has held zero. I don't think the exact model is still in production. The bullet drop compensating reticle is now all the rage. Meh....As an aside, I have had great success with Remington Copper Solid slugs. Devastating on deer out past 100 yards. They group rather nicely too. The downside is that they are about four bucks a piece.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I have a Nikon Slug Hunter on my 870. It has a nice long eye relief and a diamond shaped reticle. It is a 1.5-5 power. I have never turned it up much past 3. It has withstood years of 12 gauge slug recoil and has held zero. I don't think the exact model is still in production. The bullet drop compensating reticle is now all the rage. Meh....As an aside, I have had great success with Remington Copper Solid slugs. Devastating on deer out past 100 yards. They group rather nicely too. The downside is that they are about four bucks a piece.
    I couldn't find the slug hunter, but they do have a Prostaff Shotgun 2-7x. I'll have to compare it with the Leupold since they're only about 40 bucks apart. I guess I could buy 2 boxes of the Remingtons if I opt for the Nikon!
    Opera Non Verba

I didn't think they made it anymore. I was looking not too long ago for another one to put on an inline muzzleloader. I opted for this from Leupold. Sadly, I mounted this months ago and have not fired a shot through it yet.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...eloader-3-9x40

I did waaaay better than the listed price at MidwayUSA

Jules

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I didn't think they made it anymore. I was looking not too long ago for another one to put on an inline muzzleloader. I opted for this from Leupold. Sadly, I mounted this months ago and have not fired a shot through it yet.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...eloader-3-9x40

I did waaaay better than the listed price at MidwayUSA

Jules
    This is my #1 right now as well. I get a discount through Leupold too which makes it more attractive than the Nikon.
    Opera Non Verba

(Lancaster County)

i run a bushnell TRS red dot on my muzzle loader and if i could mount one to my shotgun I would. So much easier for rapid shots
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    i run a bushnell TRS red dot on my muzzle loader and if i could mount one to my shotgun I would. So much easier for rapid shots
    I got water damage to the scope on my inline and just bought a TRS to try on it. I just found a couple cheap Leupold M8s on eBay I'm trying for. If I don't win, I think I'll go with the VX Freedom. I'll let you know how the TRS works out on the inline though when it gets here and I get to use it. Maybe I'll even try to throw it on the shotgun!
    Opera Non Verba

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateCarry View Post
    I got water damage to the scope on my inline and just bought a TRS to try on it. I just found a couple cheap Leupold M8s on eBay I'm trying for. If I don't win, I think I'll go with the VX Freedom. I'll let you know how the TRS works out on the inline though when it gets here and I get to use it. Maybe I'll even try to throw it on the shotgun!
    The only negative I have found was in snow, or rain, the optic gets smudges if you don't have a clean something to wipe it with.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast