Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Sheds

(Bucks County)

Default Deer Sheds

I intend to search for sheds this year, I'd like some material for walking stick handles. I've never hunted them before, any hints appreciated.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Default Re: Deer Sheds

Valley forge park... good place to start

Some use a dogs to find them. Following trails bucks use doesnt always pan out. Its more luck then skill, and some drop them now and others might hold a month or two.

(Bucks County)

I have made a collector corner some years. Drive three lengths of angle iron into the ground so it sticks up 3’ above ground. These should be in a triangle. Connect the three with heavy chicken wire, or chain link fence. That will form the corner. Bait the inside of the corner with anything deer like to eat. Deer will eat and get an antler stuck. If the antler is ready, it will fall off. If not, the buck will shake free and come back to eat again in a day or two. Rinse, wash, repeat. Be sure to check it every couple of days or the forest creatures will collect the sheds and eat them before you get back.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I have made a collector corner some years. Drive three lengths of angle iron into the ground so it sticks up 3’ above ground. These should be in a triangle. Connect the three with heavy chicken wire, or chain link fence. That will form the corner. Bait the inside of the corner with anything deer like to eat. Deer will eat and get an antler stuck. If the antler is ready, it will fall off. If not, the buck will shake free and come back to eat again in a day or two. Rinse, wash, repeat. Be sure to check it every couple of days or the forest creatures will collect the sheds and eat them before you get back.
    How large of an area?

(Lawrence County)

Walk fence lines, if an antler is ready to fall it may be where the buck landed on the other side.

(Carbon County)

I never found a shed, but almost every year I find bone piles with antlered skulls. If in an area with no squirrels, they are sometimes complete. This year I found a 6 point that had been gnawed on. Last year a spike that was not touched, but appeared quite old. One year I found about half of a very large antler that was snapped off. I was walking across a cut wheat field and saw a turfed up circle about 15 feet across where two bucks had gone at it. Amazing what you find if you keep your eyes open.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    How large of an area?
    Place the angle iron two feet apart. That gives them enough room to get the corn that is all the way up in the corner. Make it three feet tall so they can’t lean over and get the feed.

(Chester County)

I caution against this.. I am fairly confident this is an illegal practice in the eyes of the PGC (disturbing wildlife).. It also can cause premature dropping of antlers which can damage the pedicle and cause the antler to not regrow the follow season.

(York County)

That is illegal under PA law, you also can not keep skulls with antlers if you find them, only naturally dropped sheds

(Bucks County)

I have a natural area with fallen trees and branches 50 or 60 yds behind the house, today there were 2 bucks and 7 does milling around. I put a salt lick back there, we'll see what happens. Too early for supplemental food, and reading about CWD makes me not want to put any out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast