Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Teen Hunter Shot and Killed After Being Mistaken for a Deer in Georgia

There is no excuse. Now I could see a bullet ricocheting off a tree,
    and hitting someone near by, or a missed shot going astray.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Teen Hunter Shot and Killed After Being Mistaken for a Deer in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    "Were you there" pretty much covers this discussion. It would be interesting to know how much orange this guy was wearing, if any. I have caught quite a few guys in brown camo during rifle season. One year in WV we caught a guy in a ghilli suit. Then there is the guys that wear the dirtyist, faded, smallest vest and hats they can find. You don't know what the shooter saw. I have never been involved in a hunting accident and hope I never am, but it could just as easily been any one of us.
    Bull. No offense. Most of us were taught that you don't even point a loaded (or even unloaded) rifle at something you don't intend to shoot at.

(Carbon County)

I have been around guns more than all of you put together. When there is an "Accident", it usually involves someone that was "Taught", or someone that is always ranting about the safety of the "Other guy". True the guy was breaking the law, but I hear the same stuff no matter what the details. It can happen to you. You want to see unsafe, Lancaster boy? Get caught in an Amish deer or turkey drive.

(Allegheny County)

The people defending the perp in this thread are just fucking unbelievable.

No different from the “he was a good kid, just getting his life together” crowd.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I have been around guns more than all of you put together. When there is an "Accident", it usually involves someone that was "Taught", or someone that is always ranting about the safety of the "Other guy". True the guy was breaking the law, but I hear the same stuff no matter what the details. It can happen to you. You want to see unsafe, Lancaster boy? Get caught in an Amish deer or turkey drive.
    Nice strawman. But keep on defending the guy that killed a kid because he didn't properly identify his target. This wasn't an accident, he intentionally aimed and shot at something he didn't identify. It's negligence, plain and simple, and he should be charged for it.

Been thinking about this whole "orange" thing for hunters. It seems it was instituted because hunters are too fucking stupid to identify their target before they shoot. If you can't positively ID that it's a deer in your sights, you have no business pulling that trigger.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Nice strawman. But keep on defending the guy that killed a kid because he didn't properly identify his target. This wasn't an accident, he intentionally aimed and shot at something he didn't identify. It's negligence, plain and simple, and he should be charged for it.

Been thinking about this whole "orange" thing for hunters. It seems it was instituted because hunters are too fucking stupid to identify their target before they shoot. If you can't positively ID that it's a deer in your sights, you have no business pulling that trigger.
    We'll probably find out the teen that was shot fathered a kid with the shooter's 12 year old daughter.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Kid wasn't required to wear orange:

https://www.cbs46.com/news/hunting-s...8685de045.html

“If it’s during primitive weapons or firearms deer season, hunter orange is required. You have to wear 500 square inches of blaze orange above the waistline even if you’re just accompanying a deer hunter,” said Capt. Mike Burgamy, a game warden with DNR’s law enforcement division.
    It was archery season, so no orange was required. But the guy that killed him was using a rifle. Still can't find any information about charges being filed against the shooter.

“First of all, know your target and what’s beyond it. Never ever shoot at just movement, identify what you’re shooting at because once you fire that bullet you can’t call it back,” he said.
    Seems like common sense, but that isn't so common anymore. If the hunter had actually seen his target, he wouldn't have shot.

(Allegheny County)

What are the regulations on shooting people? What do they say?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    What are the regulations on shooting people? What do they say?
    Apparently as you long as you say it's an accident, all is forgiven and other hunters will even make excuses for your negligence.

(Carbon County)

Oh yeah, he should be charged because of the circumstances of the shooting. There is almost always some form of negligence involved in an accident, but this was caused during criminal activity. I am just saying that people overreact to hunting accidents without any knowledge of the circumstances. Some people are just stupid or don't know any better. I never let a kid on his own to hunt deer. They sat right there with me and I let them have first shot. I walked up to within about 20 feet of a camo blind before seeing it when rifle hunting in WV one year. Not a bit of orange on it. I see guys take their coat and hat off to gut deer and now they are rolling around a deer and dressed in full camo. It is kind of like driving a car, you have to watch what you and the other guy are doing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast