Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Default Re: ***NATIONAL RALLY 11/2/19 POOFA RESPONSE***

Never thought I'd see Hickok45 defend gamers, followed by someone screaming the GAMERS RISE UP meme. That alone made the 5-hour drive worth it.
    Also, did anyone see the procession of German soldiers with Red Berets who walked by us? I think a few took some pics of us. I wish we could open carry to show off to them, hehe.

One thing irked me. I have the utmost respect for Prince's work, and I know he is a virtual saint in this circle, but I was disheartened by his SSRI demonization. The black box warning (issued in 2004) is no big pharma secret. Everybody from the chief attending to the green-boots medical student knows about it and considers it in pediatric psychiatric cases. I see patients using SSRIs everyday: the commonality of SSRIs is just a step below ACE inhibitors and statins, if I had to estimate. They work for some, not all, but they are not some big evil drug solely for the benefit of big pharma. They're first line in many cases and have been used for several decades. We are not flying blind. The gun community constantly mentions "the mental health issue", as being the "answer", and while I agree (with some expansions on that line of thinking), I really don't think a good starting point is demonizing one of the most basic, first-line class of meds employed in mental health. DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I am NOT defending big pharma. They jack up the price of meds quite often, seemingly at random, that patients sometimes just stop meds because they couldn't afford the sudden price hike. Big pharma is an issue, no doubt.

I'm honestly not too upset with Prince's comment, as it seems a habit in the gun community to sometimes grab a peripheral issue/scapegoat to deflect/offset the left's rabid emotional shaming. If I remember, last time it was video games (which is why Hickok actually defending gamers honestly shocked me). I feel like this skirts around the elephant in the room: young men and the issues they face, which few seem to talk about. I've written long posts on young men's issues (maybe biased and self-centered as I'm a young man?) and don't want to regurgitate them here, but I feel like that's the biggest core issue left unaddressed.

APOLOGIES for this rant. Again, SO much respect to Prince and his work. He is an absolute, unquestionable champion of our rights. A hero of our state and our cause. I just felt like I had to write my thoughts down on that comment because the topic came up so suddenly at the end of his speech. I'm probably overthinking it. Besides my small gripe, his speech, and everyone else's, was awesome. Seriously great turnout.
    Last edited by caelum; November 3rd, 2019 at 03:58 AM.
    Get up

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Who all was at the meet and greet? I saw that Emmons has some competition.
    I got to it pretty late, and just zeroed in on the guy I wanted to talk to and some old friends. I don't know if Emmons was there. I didn't see him.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    One thing irked me. I have the utmost respect for Prince's work, and I know he is a virtual saint in this circle, but I was disheartened by his SSRI demonization. The black box warning (issued in 2004) is no big pharma secret. Everybody from the chief attending to the green-boots medical student knows about it and considers it in pediatric psychiatric cases. I see patients using SSRIs everyday: the commonality of SSRIs is just a step below ACE inhibitors and statins, if I had to estimate. They work for some, not all, but they are not some big evil drug solely for the benefit of big pharma. They're first line in many cases and have been used for several decades. We are not flying blind. The gun community constantly mentions "the mental health issue", as being the "answer", and while I agree (with some expansions on that line of thinking), I really don't think a good starting point is demonizing one of the most basic, first-line class of meds employed in mental health. DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I am NOT defending big pharma. They jack up the price of meds quite often, seemingly at random, that patients sometimes just stop meds because they couldn't afford the sudden price hike. Big pharma is an issue, no doubt.
    Would you allow that the same chemical concoction could be both a "common, widely used, first-line drug with tremendous success" *and* in certain cases a contributing factor in putting someone over the edge?

The more widely a product is used, the more likely that a side-effect that occurs in even a fractional percentage of its users can become apparent - especially when the result is characterized by a desire to act out against others in as large a group as they think then can find.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Has anyone seen any media coverage? I only watched NBC news Sat. evening, not one word, the Lancaster Sunday paper had nothing that I saw.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by wallyone View Post
    Has anyone seen any media coverage? I only watched NBC news Sat. evening, not one word, the Lancaster Sunday paper had nothing that I saw.
    I've searched. But I'm currently working; so it's been a limited search.
    Found nothing in mainstream media. Not surprising since did not see any news media attending.
    So far; all I've found in Ammoland's article: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/11/2nd...washington-dc/

Searched a little more.
    Found these two stories:
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-capitol-hill/
    https://www.newsweek.com/second-amen...rights-1469411
    Last edited by ett; November 3rd, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
    --ET

(Montgomery County)

I was there and when they mentioned it was live streaming, I started searching for it to send it to my family. I found that Breitbart live streamed the whole thing. at any given time there were 6k - 8k viewers on FaceBoob watching.
    Eddie

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Found nothing in mainstream media. Not surprising since did not see any news media attending.
    So far; all I've found in Ammoland's article: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/11/2nd...washington-dc/

Searched a little more.
    Found these two stories:
    Hey Eric (I hope it's with a "c" LOL), it was great meeting you yesterday! Was that Justin that had the sign you went over to?
    Eddie

(Montgomery County)

There wasn't even any coverage on the local news this morning. And good thing it was yesterday and not today because there's even more streets closed today for the cancer marathon/walk.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twospot View Post
    Hey Eric (I hope it's with a "c" LOL), it was great meeting you yesterday! Was that Justin that had the sign you went over to?
    Yup; it's spelled with a "c".
    I was nice meeting and talking with you too !
    Yes that was him with the sign.
    --ET

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post

Searched a little more.
    Found these two stories:
    So Newsweek runs a story on a gun rights rally and shows a video of something in TX?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast