Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Is it legal to shoot an air rifle on my property?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsrfun1 View Post
    I live in York Township. I've looked on their website, but cannot find an answer to this question:
    Can I shoot an air rifle on my property?
    The state law seems a bit vague on this, but apparently local laws can take precedence anyway.
    Anyone know FOR SURE, regarding my township?
    Thanks
    Talk to a lawyer.

(Luzerne County)

The current law governing small game season:

§ 141.22. Small game seasons.

(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks, during any small game season with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated or semiautomatic rimfire rifle or manually operated rimfire handgun. The firearm must be .22 caliber or less, that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that propels multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than # 4 lead, # 2 steel, or # 4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to approval of nontoxic shot types and shot coatings). A centerfire shotgun’s magazine capacity may not exceed two rounds. The shotgun’s total aggregate ammunition capacity may not exceed three rounds.

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor shall be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit under section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

(7) A manually operated or semiautomatic air rifle or manually operated air handgun between .177 and .22 caliber, inclusive, that propels single-projectile pellet or bullet ammunition. BB ammunition is not authorized.

(b) Prohibitions. While hunting small game during any small game season, except woodchucks, it is unlawful to:

(1) Use or possess single-projectile ammunition larger than .22 caliber or multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition larger than # 4 lead, # 2 steel, or # 4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134, except as authorized under section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

(2) Possess a firearm while hunting with a raptor, except as authorized under section 2525 of the act.

(3) Discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a Commission vehicle releasing pheasants.

(4) Use or possess a device or ammunition not provided for in the act or in this section, except as authorized under section 2525 of the act.

(5) Hunt in a party of more than six persons. This does not apply to waterfowl or dove hunters when hunting from a blind or other stationary position.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Delaware County)

I live in Nether Providence Township in Delaware County. It is illegal to shoot ANYTHING on your property. I do however, shoot arrows in a safe area (not ideal for me, sun-wise). I'm fine with this law. I don't want neighbor's kids sending BBs my way.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe from Media View Post
    I live in Nether Providence Township in Delaware County. It is illegal to shoot ANYTHING on your property. I do however, shoot arrows in a safe area (not ideal for me, sun-wise). I'm fine with this law. I don't want neighbor's kids sending BBs my way.
    One reason I don't live in Delco anymore and haven't for over forty years. Government keeping you safe, huh?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    One reason I don't live in Delco anymore and haven't for over forty years. Government keeping you safe, huh?
    You know it, and thankfully they've outlawed heroin and stealing stuff out of cars there too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

3 pages and no straight answer yet.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    3 pages and no straight answer yet.
    I believe the OP got his answer via township officials in post #8. This thread derailed quite bit.

(Lancaster County)

The town I live in has it specifically spelled out in their ordinance that you cannot shoot air or pellet guns (Or any firearm) in the borough unless in self-defense or you are an LEO. I would imagine it is a municipality-specific issue and you should definitely look into it before just going ahead and doing it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123